Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 27th March 2016, 12:49   #1
scodger

remote shutter control on iphone setup

Hi

I've ordered the new iphone ES and hope to use it for digiscoping. Once set up is there a way of remotely triggering the shutter in the phone without having to actually touch the set up?

Also anyone know if the new Celestron Hummingbird miniscope is available in the UK, it's on several US sites, this looks like a suitable candidate for a quality lightweight travel scope which could be used for digiscoping...?

Thanks
Old Sunday 27th March 2016, 18:04   #2
Oscar56

Although I have not tried it I understand that the earbuds that come with the iPhone can be used as a shutter release.
Old Monday 28th March 2016, 13:45   #3
scodger

Interesting, thanks for that, will check into it
Old Monday 28th March 2016, 21:10   #4
John Fleet
270 and counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodger View Post
Hi

I've ordered the new iphone ES and hope to use it for digiscoping. Once set up is there a way of remotely triggering the shutter in the phone without having to actually touch the set up?

Also anyone know if the new Celestron Hummingbird miniscope is available in the UK, it's on several US sites, this looks like a suitable candidate for a quality lightweight travel scope which could be used for digiscoping...?

Thanks
you should be able to pick up a Bluetooth shutter release for no more than a fiver from that well known auction site. I have the Foneskope model which is great - but cost 20...
Old Wednesday 30th March 2016, 00:41   #5
TFM70

The earbuds work on the Iphone 5
Old Friday 1st April 2016, 16:08   #6
FrankD

Ditto on both of the previous comments. The volume control on the factory supplied earbuds act as a shutter release when you using the camera app.

Also, an inexpensive blue-tooth remote shutter release like the Phone skope model is another very worthwhile option. I have used both and have been very pleased with the results. I tend to lean more towards the Blue-tooth option as the earbuds dangling from the Iphone can either get tangled or blow in the wind and thus provide some image shake.

On another related note, I currently have the opportunity to review the Athlon Optics Ares 50 mm spotting scope. It is a deadringer for the Celestron Hummingbird 50 mm model. The optics are nice at the 7.5x setting and up to about 15x. From 15x-22x the optical performance drops notably. Probably good for overall observation purposes but I wouldn't use it for digiscoping above 15x.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Saturday 4th June 2016, 01:04   #7
SASKMUDDER

Earbuds work on mine.
Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: