• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested vs Thekla Lark - an aide memoire (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

After a lapse of more than a decade, I've been trying to get back into drawing birds over the last few weeks. I find it's not only a great way to get ID features into my brain but also terrific therapy for not being able to get out birding as much as I'd like these days. Being a glutton for punishment one of my first 'projects' has been to have a crack at illustrating and summarising the thorny problem of Crested vs Thekla Lark ID. It's come up a number of times here so I hope it may prove useful. Personally, of all the features, I find bill shape most useful. I've deliberately tried to illustrate the 'extremes' so be warned they can look more similar than depicted here. Although guides tell us that longer billed Theklas are found in North Africa rather than Iberia, I sometimes see Theklas with longer bills than the birds I habitually see in Cadiz province. I know too that more experienced birders see larks in the field that they struggle to asign to either species than is commonly acknowledged! Some consider them hybrids, but I'm told that DNA evidence does not support this thesis. Comments welcome, but be kind I'm a little rusty.

Attachments

• BFLarks.jpg
    BFLarks.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 954
Lovely job - right on the button - a great aid indeed! I think your format is excellent for difficult species pairs etc - could be adopted by field guides.

Thank you all for your blushingly kind and generous comments. I particularly appreciate those from people like 'Rosbifs', Lou and Simon who've a proven track record for great expertise here and from Rafael who (like Simon) actually lives with the species. I'm afraid, Fergus, given the number of times I've redrafted, redrawn, finished, redrafted again etc the illustrations, were I attempt a book (as you very kindly suggest) it'd never get finished! (And, yes, I've already modified it once again since posting the drawings!) As a former editor of the KOS Newsletter, Sandy, I'm not sure the topic is sufficiently relevant to Kent birding, but it's kind of you to think so.

I produced the drawings to go with a longer article I'm writing for the Andalucia Bird Society's quarterly magazine (hopefully one of a short series) and only decided to draw them as I don't have many decent photos of the species so it was a bit of an experiment. I thought it wise to run it past the folks here to ensure I hadn't made any howlers and that it was up to snuff. So in answer to Allan's question I'll probably do a few more (and have already done one other one which needs revision, but I'll post anon if people are interested), but there'll be a distinct Iberian slant to them.

Last edited:
Congratulations John! I can't comment usefully on the particular lark example, but I think you've created an excellent model for tricky species. Outstanding! Must say I was already seriously impressed by your previous swift/pallid swift page, which I assumed was a one-off. Can I venture a couple of thoughts on format? Those with ageing eyes like mine might prefer non-italics on the text page, and you could make the visuals a little less busy by changing the arrows to simple tag lines. Common Kestrel vs Lesser?
Brian

Congratulations John! I can't comment usefully on the particular lark example, but I think you've created an excellent model for tricky species. Outstanding! Must say I was already seriously impressed by your previous swift/pallid swift page, which I assumed was a one-off. Can I venture a couple of thoughts on format? Those with ageing eyes like mine might prefer non-italics on the text page, and you could make the visuals a little less busy by changing the arrows to simple tag lines. Common Kestrel vs Lesser?
Brian

Very helpful comments, much appreciated.

Good to see the finished article, an impressive and useful piece of work- lots more larks you could do too, before going onto greenbuls and cisticolas of course.

Good to see the finished article, an impressive and useful piece of work- lots more larks you could do too, before going onto greenbuls and cisticolas of course.

Thanks, Phil. I'm not sure that it helps that I've only seen two species of cisticola, no greenbuls and not that many more larks.

Brian

Lesser vs Common already on the horizon ...

Lovely job - right on the button - a great aid indeed! I think your format is excellent for difficult species pairs etc - could be adopted by field guides.

I first experimented with such a format 30 odd years back when I did a note on Willow/Marsh Tit ID (alas I never see the first and rarely the second these days) for an RSPB group newsletter. It's irritated me for years that guides often apportion the same amount of space for 'easy' species as they do difficult ones or those with tricky plumages. A book that fuses the detail of the 'MacMillan guides' (only using telegraphic bullet points) plus basic ID on easy species too, has long been something I've thought would be useful. After all, who needs much beyond a decent illustration for Kingfisher or Oystercatcher for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back