Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 24th May 2016, 01:09   #26
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Jerry, that is a bit harsh .....

The x43 HG APO's are arguably Alpha class ...... Made In Germany, top grade Schott fluorite ED glass, aspheric lenses and top quality construction. Having a silver based prism coating, they perhaps lack the last ~3-5% of brightness of the leading Zeiss SF and HT, but that still puts them on about a par with the Nikon EDG, and with a similar warm view too. Fov is very good in the 10x, and good in the 8x. ER is good, very nice focusing and the light weight is class leading exceptional.

Perhaps the only thing they have sometimes been 'pinged' on in all the material I have ever read on them is skimping on the prisms so that there is a few percent truncation evident. Having said that, they do have genuine 43 mm objectives which would compensate somewhat, and nice dark exit pupil surrounds.

http://www.optics4birding.com/minox-...rs-review.aspx

https://translate.googleusercontent....aSIm-HREJLrnPg

https://translate.googleusercontent....HyWzw9C-CYY5vA

I think one of the major popularity problems may lie in the ~$1800 pricing point ...... With more buyers opting for slightly more brightness (Zeiss HT) and flatter, slightly wider fields of the Zeiss SF, and Swaro SV at the cost of greater weight and expense.

Chosun
Yep... IMO that is THE reason folks aren't buying them. If one can afford $1800, one can probably add a little more for one of the top dogs. ALSO...I'd have to be on drugs to buy a HG APO over a Swarovski SLC.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th May 2016, 11:46   #27
Glimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Yep... IMO that is THE reason folks aren't buying them. If one can afford $1800, one can probably add a little more for one of the top dogs. ALSO...I'd have to be on drugs to buy a HG APO over a Swarovski SLC.
Why? 10,5 ft near focus, eye relief only 16mm, heavier..

Enviado desde mi ONE E1003 mediante Tapatalk
Old Tuesday 24th May 2016, 15:38   #28
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmer View Post
Why? 10,5 ft near focus, eye relief only 16mm, heavier..

Really personal preference and familiarity with the product. It's not too often I use a really close focus so that wouldn't be an issue. I really didn't realize the eye relief was only 16mm. 16mm is on the fence as far as eye relief goes...it can go either way. I can use my older 10X42s SLC with glasses without too much of an problem. I'll quantify my statement that if one doesn't wear glasses for a $1800 binocular choice a SLC would be an easy recommendation.

Old Tuesday 24th May 2016, 16:40   #29
Glimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Really personal preference and familiarity with the product. It's not too often I use a really close focus so that wouldn't be an issue. I really didn't realize the eye relief was only 16mm. 16mm is on the fence as far as eye relief goes...it can go either way. I can use my older 10X42s SLC with glasses without too much of an problem. I'll quantify my statement that if one doesn't wear glasses for a $1800 binocular choice a SLC would be an easy recommendation.
The fact is that I can get a peor of Minox new ones for 1000 euros.. Any better option for that price? Slc's are 1500..

Last edited by Glimmer : Tuesday 24th May 2016 at 21:37.
Old Tuesday 24th May 2016, 16:50   #30
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmer View Post
The fact is that I can get a peor of New ones for 1000 euro.. Any better atención that price? Slcs are 1500..

Man that's quite a difference in price! That makes a difference...

Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 17:24   #31
Nixterdemus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveljay View Post
To cover Davids comment: Comparing a fairly recent standard (non APO) HG with its earlier sibling, the recent one has Made in Germany on the focus ring, a serial number in the range 53001xxx and a US patent number below the serial. The early version has Apheric Lens Technology engraved instead of the Made in Germany marking, has a serial 53000xx and No US patent number. This is in addition to the different eye pieces. The older design is better from my point of view as it has smaller eyecups that help make up for the narrower field of view.
I must admit that I havn't met anyone who has owned the APO version, just trying binoculars in a shop environment never works for me.
Comparing the HG to an FL the FL wins in the optical stakes as you might hope, however, the focussing action is such that I can achieve sharp focus on the Minox faster, I am beginning to get interested in playing with an APO ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
My 8x43 HG has 'Made in Germany' printed on the focusing wheel. The serial number on the label is 3900XXXX and it has the US Patent No. below that.

I find that they are very bright but have rather a lot of CA unless the eyepieces are located perfectly in my eye sockets. The focusing is quick and accurate but I seem to spend a lot of time continually adjusting the focus (shallow DOF?) They feel well constructed and are very light. However, I use my Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN most of the time as they just feel 'right' to me.

Ron
Thread resurrection on the SN/dates. Not as if the Minox folder is abuzz w/chatter. The MIJ indeed seems to have Aspheric Lens Technology engraved instead of the Made in Germany. I'm curious if that extended to after the move as such to Germany for final assembly/inspection whatever before changing over to MIG.

Newer models then would seem to be 8 digits w/older 7. I wonder about the first four digits of the SN. The first two are different, 53/39 in your examples, though w/me limited research the #3 & #4 digit is 00, again as in your examples 5300/3900. Perhaps the extra digit in the newer models accounts for extra room as production increases over the years.

I would venture to guess the last four digits older bin last 5 newer bin, at least non-APO, identify the bin w/perhaps the first two a code on the date of manufacture. Maybe not. With 99 numbers available Minox would have no problem running out of models in the sports optic line. I cannot find any information on date/SN for Minox online.

W/me 4100XXXX I see CA/purple right at the very edge if I tilt the bins or move eyes to look for it. I can roam the eyeball around noting a tiny sliver of yellow ring. In normal viewing I wouldn't tilt the bins or move eyes to the very edge. I can see yellow/purple fringes on branches if I move close to the sun. Slight in the center though.

Though at 19.3mm there's tonnes of ER.

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom

Last edited by Nixterdemus : Tuesday 14th November 2017 at 20:46.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: