• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Five Rail day! Anahuac NWR (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith

Sunday I had one of the most fun birding days of my life. I heard they were having a "Rail walk" to flush / see the Yellow Rail in the Anahuac NWR in Texas. This is where a group of birders form a line shoulder to shoulder and then march rapidly across the marsh to flush whatever rails are in the path.

I wasn't completely prepared with the right gear as I was just in town on a business trip but thought I could still participate in some manner. I had read about this in the book 'Big Year' and figured I could use the same tactic as one of the participants did in the book. That was standing on the roadside while everyone else tromped through the marsh grasses to flush the bird. I'd just "tick" it from the sidelines.

Well, when we got to the area, I saw that the road wasn't going to be anywhere close enough to the action for decent views so I threw caution to the wind and joined in the lineup with my dress shoes on.

It was a very successfull walk and we sighted 4 different rail species; the targeted Yellow, the Virginia, Sora, and the luckiest sighting of all... the Black Rail (as the leader had said, kind of the Holy Grail of Rails).

When the walk was over, I was soaked to my knees. I continued on birding on my own (in the sun to help dry out). I found my 5th rail, a King Rail feeding on the side of a canal and had great views. Also found both the American and Least Bitterns. Do you think I was excited about the day? All seven birds were lifers for me! And as a bonus, it looks like I've finally got my shoes polished back up to a level where I'll be able to still use them!

I'm sure some will have some concerns as to the ethics of a Rail Walk. I can't really address that, but I will say, the leader was very strict in not flushing any bird more than twice and not crowding any that were seen but didn't flush. It's an event the "Friends of Anahuac" put on several times each spring (prior to the Yellow Rails migrating out) to help with fundraising and getting more attention for the NWR. It was certainly educational.

I'm sorry I missed that! All of those birds are missing from my lifelist as well. I'll have to see about going next year. My parents recently moved to Baytown and have visited the Anahuac NWR a couple times. They didn't see any rails but they did see a Least Bittern as well as many herons, egrets, and ducks.

Cillana said:
I'm sorry I missed that! All of those birds are missing from my lifelist as well. I'll have to see about going next year. My parents recently moved to Baytown and have visited the Anahuac NWR a couple times. They didn't see any rails but they did see a Least Bittern as well as many herons, egrets, and ducks.

as far as the ethics are concerned it may be worth adding that by UK reserve standards Anahuac is a whopping big area (10000 hectares+) so the impact of rail walk there is not quite as dramatic as if it had happened at say Minsmere North hide on a Bank holiday Monday

Hi Dave,

Sounds like a spectacular day - Yellow and Black Rail - the gods of birding were definitely with you! I would happily trade in some shoes for a glimpse of those two. Sounds like I might have to add that trip to the many I have planned around the US.

Luke

Hi all,
Yes it was a very "lucky day" and I highly recommend the trip. Spring time (April) is best and that also puts you in the neighborhood of other Texas migration hot spots like High Island and Bolivar Flats.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back