• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

‘Flying’ spider lands and makes short stop on Least Tern then takes off and sails awa (1 Viewer)

Mark B Bartosik

Although I am more interested in Least Tern behavior (in this case as well) catching on film ’flying’ spider landing on the bird and after short moment taking off and sailing away was a nice addition to this day in the field.

Included photos are stills from the video (so quality is not so good) but one can watch (if interested) the video clip here (Least Tern was intrigued by the spider presence but took no action):

https://youtu.be/lAaSqH565Rg

I am in process to identify the spider; there are many ‘flying’ spiders traveling with silk strand (visible in video as it anchored to tail feathers) but I hope it will be possible to ID this species to genus or family from the poor photos.

Attachments

• ‘Flying’ spider landing on Least Tern enlarged.jpg
    ‘Flying’ spider landing on Least Tern enlarged.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 87
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back