Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 31st July 2016, 19:09   #26
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

I'm expecting to see the 'scope on the Zeiss stand at Birdfair.
Old Sunday 31st July 2016, 21:03   #27
Kunibert

Here are a lot of pictures of the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85.

http://www.photoinfos.com/Spektiv/Ze...t-Gavia-85.htm

Tom
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 09:26   #28
Kunibert

Digiscoping with a Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 and a Sony RX IV shown in a video on youtube:

https://youtu.be/7szhdGgAFQY

Tom

Last edited by Kunibert : Monday 1st August 2016 at 14:20.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 14:22   #29
henry link

Tom,

Thanks very much for the photos, video and information.

If you still have the scope I wonder if it would be possible for you to give us more detail about its performance? I'm thinking in particular of measuring the resolution using a standard resolution chart like the USAF 1951 and conducting a high magnification star-test using a real or artificial star. You appear to be well equipped to digiscope star-test diffraction patterns (perhaps 4 or 5 rings out of focus in both directions), which should give us a good idea about the level of spherical aberration and reveal any other defects.

I'm curious about the focuser. Is there a moving focusing lens or a moving prism? If a lens, does it move forward or backward when changing focus from close to distant? Do you turn the focusing collar clockwise or counterclockwise from close to distant? Also, do you observe any deterioration in image quality at close focus compared to distant?

Thanks,

Henry
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 14:37   #30
Ratal

Thanks Tom, that is a scope that is definitely on my radar as a potential future purchase. Love the look of it, and the name is spot on.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 17:19   #31
Kunibert

Henry, I don't have the scope any more, I had to send it back. About the performance: I also had a Kowa Prominar TSN 883 which delivers stunning images. It's pictures are really sharp, crisp and brilliant. The Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85, which is cheaper, offers a very good image but was not quite on the same level. I could see a little chromatic aberration. Not much, but it was there. Many would not see the difference, but experients users would notice it.

As far as I understood it, the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 is not meant to be a successor of the Zeiss Victory Diascope 85, but belongs to a seperate product line in the upper middle class. Compared to the Victory Diascope it is cheaper and offers a smaller zoom factor with the kit-eyepiece.

Compared to a Pentax PF-80EDa I would rate the performance of a Zeiss 'Conquest Gavia 85 to be on the same level. It is a lightweight spotting scope with a very good image quality and I like the T2 thread at the eyepiece, because it makes digiscoping easier. Buy a cover for your smartphone, glue a T2 Adapter at it and there you go. The value for money is very good.

Some more info from Zeiss about this scope:

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_de...quest-Gavia-85

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smartphoneschale-T2-Adapter-150.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	593813  

Last edited by Kunibert : Monday 1st August 2016 at 18:38.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 18:01   #32
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

This was on my Twitter feed:

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/zeiss...ing-scope.html

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st August 2016, 19:00   #33
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunibert View Post
Henry, I don't have the scope any more, I had to send it back. About the performance: I also had a Kowa Prominar TSN 883 which delivers stunning images. It's pictures are really sharp, crisp and brilliant. The Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85, which is cheaper, offers a very good image but was not quite on the same level. I could see a little chromatic aberration. Not much, but it was there. Many would not see the difference, but experients users would notice it.

As far as I understood it, the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 is not meant to be a successor of the Zeiss Victory Diascope 85, but belongs to a seperate product line in the upper middle class. Compared to the Victory Diascope it is cheaper and offers a smaller zoom factor with the kit-eyepiece.

Compared to a Pentax PF-80EDa I would rate the performance of a Zeiss 'Conquest Gavia 85 to be on the same level. It is a lightweight spotting scope with a very good image quality and I like the T2 thread at the eyepiece, because it makes digiscoping easier. Buy a cover for your smartphone, glue a T2 Adapter at it and there you go. The value for money is very good.

Some more info from Zeiss about this scope:

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_de...quest-Gavia-85

Tom
Thanks for the response. I'm sure we will find out more in due course.

We can deduce something about the optical design from the the specification of a "roof prism", which I assume means a Schmidt. That eliminates a moving prism focuser. If we assume the usual doublet focusing lens plus fixed triplet that would be the same design as the Diascope and most other high end scopes. If that guess is true I can't see why a good specimen wouldn't be just as good as a good specimen of the Diascope in spite of the lower price.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 19:06   #34
Kunibert

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
... If that guess is true I can't see why a good specimen wouldn't be just as good as a good specimen of the Diascope in spite of the lower price.
I think that there should be a small difference in performance to justify the lower cost of the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85. Perhaps there is none with another eyepiece.

Tom
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 20:49   #35
Gijs van Ginkel

Kunibert,
Did it say "Made in Germany" on the scope, or was something else written on the scope? I ask it, since I saw a Japan made telescope that looks very much te same.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 21:16   #36
henry link

I noticed that too, Gijs. I asked about the focuser direction just to see if it matched the almost unique reversed direction of some recent Kamakura scopes. There wouldn't be anything wrong with this being a Japanese scope. Of course, it could be largely Japanese made with just enough value added in Wetzlar for a "Made in Germany" label to be legal.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Tuesday 2nd August 2016 at 00:02.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 21:33   #37
Vespobuteo

Spec differs a bit from the Kamakura EDV 81 (see photo) the EDV has a 80mm front lens,
but is heavier. The the flattened prism housing looks similar to the Gavia.

Haven't tried the latest gen of these Kamakura scopes,
though they are sold here in Sweden, price is a bit cheaper than the Gavia.

There are cheaper scopes made in Europe, like the Meopta S2 and ATS65,
so I wouldn't bet on that it's completely Japan made...
and perhaps the eye piece can be manufactured in Germany but not the scope..
or vice versa or just some components etc.
Intersting to see if Zeiss will claim made in Germany.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0168002923_3703.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	593850  

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 2nd August 2016 at 07:55.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 22:10   #38
dipped

So that is where this scope comes from http://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/produ...-ed-pro-scope/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	edpro_scope-body.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	593856  

Last edited by dipped : Monday 1st August 2016 at 22:13.
Old Monday 1st August 2016, 23:44   #39
Kunibert

I didn't see a "Made in Germany" label on the Zeiss Scope. The eyepieces of the Viking 80 mm ED Pro Scope and the Kamakura EDV 81 magnify 25-55x. The Zeiss goes from 30-60x. The scopes look very similar. A side by side comparison would be nice.

I couldn't find a website of Kamakura. Is there any?

Tom

Last edited by Kunibert : Tuesday 2nd August 2016 at 00:03.
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2016, 01:21   #40
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunibert View Post

I couldn't find a website of Kamakura. Is there any?

Tom
Kamakura is mainly an OEM manufacturer whose products are sold under other names, so it doesn't have much of an online presence.

I think it's pretty well established that Kamakura has a large role in manufacturing the Conquest binoculars, so it's not too far fetched to suspect a link to the scope. IMO Kamakura is just as likely to produce a good scope as Zeiss.

Henry
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2016, 14:11   #41
SzimiStyle
The Shorebird Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivez View Post
Where in the UK can I see the new Gavia in August (I'm in London) I'm thinking of selling my 85 Diascope I like the idea of it being lighter
British BirdFair Zeiss stand in the Optic Marqee
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2016, 15:19   #42
alan kennedy

Good to see they've switched to a single helical focuser. I've never been keen on dual systems and why I opted for Swarovski. It will be interesting to compare at BF.

Alan
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2016, 18:00   #43
SzimiStyle
The Shorebird Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan kennedy View Post
Good to see they've switched to a single helical focuser. I've never been keen on dual systems and why I opted for Swarovski. It will be interesting to compare at BF.

Alan
I wonder when Swarovski will sue Zeiss for this focusing design.
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2016, 18:16   #44
Ratal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SzimiStyle View Post

Ouch.

That said, the Zeiss had better be light years ahead of the Viking scope, as the ones I tried were barely better than my old Hawke Frontier 85 ED. As in 'Nah thanks, that's not an upgrade'
barely better.
Old Thursday 4th August 2016, 14:06   #45
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SzimiStyle View Post
Well, they haven't sued Meopta over S2.............

In any case you would only sue if a product was a direct competitor of your own product and not if the product was very significantly cheaper or more expensive. Legal cases aren't cheap.

Lee
Old Thursday 4th August 2016, 14:28   #46
henry link

Helical focusing collars have been used on spotting scopes for a very long time. Nikon Fieldscopes before Swarovski, Bausch & Lomb Discoverers long before Nikon. I'm sure there are others.
Old Thursday 4th August 2016, 16:27   #47
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
Helical focusing collars have been used on spotting scopes for a very long time. Nikon Fieldscopes before Swarovski, Bausch & Lomb Discoverers long before Nikon. I'm sure there are others.
Of course you are correct Henry, I used to own a B&L Discoverer until about 1983 so I should have remembered this.

Lee
Old Thursday 4th August 2016, 18:26   #48
Vespobuteo

Now it's official:

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e...est-gavia.html

The name is Conquest Gavia and the glass is HD, not FL.
And as expected, it's not a Diascope successor.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Friday 5th August 2016 at 06:48.
Old Thursday 4th August 2016, 22:28   #49
dipped

Thanks for the link Vespobuteo. So no straight model which is a shame. That's the end of my interest in it.
Old Saturday 6th August 2016, 17:06   #50
henry link

I have a request for those who will get a look at the new Zeiss scope at Birdfair.

Could someone among you try to do a quick 60X star-test? Ideally someone who is familiar with star-testing can do this, but anyone can learn how do do it by Googling something like "telescope star-test" and practicing a little.

Hopefully there will an example of a glitter point of the sun returning from some small round shiny object between maybe 20m and 50m (too close and it may not be small enough to act as a point source, too far and there may be too much air turbulence to see clear diffraction rings). A car in sunlight has many such glitter points in the head/tail lights and trim areas or you could bring your own little shiny object. Rack the focus back and forth and observe the diffraction rings on either side of focus and the point of light at best focus. These reveal the level of spherical aberration and various defects like astigmatism, coma, turned edge, zones, pinching and poorly made roof prisms. One accurate description of a star test is far more informative of the true optical quality of a particular scope specimen than all the subjective descriptions we are likely to read of what birds look like through it.

Henry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: