Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 4th September 2016, 16:47   #76
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Ok thanks, sounded like a cheap solution...and the Gavia is not cheap.
No, mind you the Pentax scopes aren't that cheap and they use a moving prism.
Old Tuesday 11th October 2016, 20:02   #77
Boris Flaccus

Had a quick look through a Gavia
  • sharpness was superb
  • minimal CA @ 30x but noticeable at highter magnification (conditions: gray sky and backlighting + I'm quite sensitive to CA)
  • contrary to SzimiStyles' observations, I found the focus & zoom rings to be rather stiff in this sample; smooth but relatively high resistance
    (had a brief gander through a Meopta S2 82 right after and the difference in ease of focussing was significant to me)
Old Tuesday 11th October 2016, 22:03   #78
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
I had a chance to try the Gavia out in my local reserve shop today, priced at 1595.
.... r for 400 more you can buy a cased Kowa 88 with 25-60 zoom. I know what I would do if I was in a position to spend that sort of money (on a new scope).
For what it's worth I was in precisely that position and decided to spend that extra for the Kowa - a better instrument optically (and it really counts at high power), a good stay on case to protect it, more accessories available and my preferred focusing method tipped the balance. Additional cost per birding trip really isn't that high! Personally, it would have needed to be nearer the 1200 mark to offset the benefits of the big beast.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: