Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 19th July 2016, 20:43   #1
Icaru5

Kowa 8x42 Prominar XD vs 8x32 Europ. Alpha

Hi guys, I'm currently searching a small 8x32 binocular to carry when I go hiking. The most important things are so: sturdiness/reliability and
smallness/lightness

My searches led me to the Kowa 8x42 Prominar XD: magnesium frame, XD lenses and a 42mm with a size of a 32mm. All others binoculars with 42mm size in fact seem too big for my purpose, this Kowa seem the only 42mm that I could take with me.

So my question is: do these 42mm offer some kind of advantage over the european high-end and smaller 32mm or I just should save more penny and take a zeiss or swaro? What do you think?

Thank you

Last edited by Icaru5 : Tuesday 19th July 2016 at 20:49.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2016, 21:44   #2
PhilR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaru5 View Post
So my question is: do these 42mm offer some kind of advantage over the european high-end and smaller 32mm or I just should save more penny and take a zeiss or swaro?
No. Well... other than price. The XD's have surprised me at how good they are, but they will not provide the performance of a "european high-end and smaller 32mm". And between the two, I would much prefer the high-end 32mm, even if I had to spend a lot more for it.

BTW - you might also look at or through the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, if available where you live. These provide a very nice view in an extremely small and lightweight package. I don't remember the exact weight, but I doubt it weighs more than 450g. Also has objective covers that stay on quite tightly, so you are less likely to have them fall off unnoticed while hiking. Overall, a great little package for hiking for someone who might not want to spend alpha money.
Old Friday 22nd July 2016, 21:54   #3
Icaru5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
No. Well... other than price. The XD's have surprised me at how good they are, but they will not provide the performance of a "european high-end and smaller 32mm". And between the two, I would much prefer the high-end 32mm, even if I had to spend a lot more for it.

BTW - you might also look at or through the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, if available where you live. These provide a very nice view in an extremely small and lightweight package. I don't remember the exact weight, but I doubt it weighs more than 450g. Also has objective covers that stay on quite tightly, so you are less likely to have them fall off unnoticed while hiking. Overall, a great little package for hiking for someone who might not want to spend alpha money.
Thank you, I will consider also the Monarch :)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: