• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 moths for ID, Hove East Sussex (1 Viewer)

Jan-Paul Charteris

Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast
The first of these is confusing me, as to whether it's a waekly marked Small Waved Umber or a strongly marked Fern, or something else?

The other I think is Cyclamen Tortrix?

Both taken today having been trapped last night

Attachments

• IMG_8191.JPG
    IMG_8191.JPG
    393.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8215.JPG
    IMG_8215.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 31
Hi
I think #1 is a Fern. There's an almost identical picture on the Sussex Moth Group website:
http://www.sussexmothgroup.org.uk/speciesData.php?taxonNum=1782
#2 looks more like a female Light Brwn Apple moth Epiphyas postvittana
Martin

Martin

A couple of line drawings in Robineau on page 70 - moths 532 and 533. They would suggest that you are right and I am wrong alas in light of the pale apical area and the scalloped line on the hindwing though my website link has left me confused on these features.

All the best

Many thanks chaps :t: It's the first time I've seen that form of LBAM :) Those Ferns on the Sussex Moth website do indeed look identical more or less

P.s. Paul, unfortunately I don't still have it. Put it from the fridge to the table outside for some natural light photos, and the sod flew off after I took a few photos! I caught 2 that looked basically the same last night, but the other got loose in my livingroom. Occupational hazards when your moth trap breaks and you have to turn your livingroom into a giant moth trap ;)

Last edited:
Somewhere I have the Larentiine volume of Geometrid Moths of Europe. I'll see what they have to say about the two species.
The above mentioned site states (rough Googledy translation):
"Clues for distinguishing Horisme tersata and Horisme radicaria by habitus (according EBERT 9 , S. 277 ) :
Horisme tersata : the black streak in the apex usually is less pronounced than in Horisme radicaria, the area above the streak often the same as the ground colour , the border drawing [?] consists more or less clearly against the front edge toward continued [?]. Black center exists on the front wings or is missing.
Horisme radicaria : with clear black apical streak . Above this streak is uniformly colored a little brighter , sometimes tinged pale pink , the border drawing is interrupted by the streak. A black center on the forewings always seems to be missing ."
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back