Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 9th September 2016, 19:39   #1
DSquared

Looking for info on Zeiss 16x Binoculars

I have Zeiss binoculars that were my grandfather's. On left they are marked "Carl Zeiss" on top and "Jena" below that. On the right they are marked "Teletextin" on top, "333417" (serial number, I presume) below that, and below that "16X". CAn anyone provide any info on these, such as approximate date of manufacture, etc.? Thanks!
Old Friday 9th September 2016, 22:14   #2
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Old Zeiss

Hello DSquared,

According to this, the binocular was made in about 1913.
According to this from the same source, the model was made for about eight years, and the objective lenses should be 40 mm wide. Therefore it would have a 2.5 mm exit pupil. By today's standards it would be fairly dim.

Please, post a picture and try using them on the night sky, mounted on a tripod. 16x is a bit much for hand holding. It was not a military model. Does it have center focussing or individual focussing.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Old Saturday 10th September 2016, 08:48   #3
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
I have Zeiss binoculars that were my grandfather's. On left they are marked "Carl Zeiss" on top and "Jena" below that. On the right they are marked "Teletextin" on top, "333417" (serial number, I presume) below that, and below that "16X". CAn anyone provide any info on these, such as approximate date of manufacture, etc.? Thanks!
Hi,

if it's genuine, it's an absolute rarity, pictures would be welcome. Built only for two years (unlike the other source it was not built during WW1 as a civilian model).

The view will be so so due to small exit pupil and uncoated optics.

Here's some pictures of another example:
http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/...extin_16x.html

PS: It would be nice if a moderator could move this into the Zeiss section in the binocular forum...
PPS: Welcome to birdforum!

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Saturday 10th September 2016 at 08:49. Reason: added PS and PPS
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: