Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 11th March 2017, 19:32   #101
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Final version of the review from imaging resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...conclusion.htm

Quote:
Not only is the Mark II better at C-AF than its predecessor, but it's also one of the best cameras currently on the market regarding continuous AF performance.
Pretty big words

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th March 2017, 07:01   #102
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

That depends a lot on what lens you have on it. As an example, S-AF on my mFT 75-300 II (only mFT lens I own) is lightning fast and C-AF is quite good at all focal lengths. My FT 50-200 is still OK, not nearly as fast but for slower moving subjects usable. C-AF with my Canon 400/5.6 and Metabones adapter it totally useless, even worse than the E-M1. But bang one of the new Pro lenses on the Mark II and it would not surprise me at all that it is "one of the best". They are really designed for each other.
Old Sunday 12th March 2017, 19:49   #103
dwever
African Fish Eagle Rwanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
That depends a lot on what lens you have on it. As an example, S-AF on my mFT 75-300 II (only mFT lens I own) is lightning fast and C-AF is quite good at all focal lengths. My FT 50-200 is still OK, not nearly as fast but for slower moving subjects usable. C-AF with my Canon 400/5.6 and Metabones adapter it totally useless, even worse than the E-M1. But bang one of the new Pro lenses on the Mark II and it would not surprise me at all that it is "one of the best". They are really designed for each other.
Agreed. I've bought most of the PRO lenses released since the 12-40 f2.8 (I don't have the 300mm f4 or the fisheye) and on the Mark II one gets just tremendous results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Pretty big words

Niels
In traditional DSLR format, while the image is being shot, the mirror has to be flipped up to allow light to hit the image sensor, blocking the AF module, resulting in temporary pause of AF operations. The AF in the DSLR can only resume as the mirror flips down again, so this intermittent, repetitive interruptions of AF can limit the potential of continuous focusing when shooting in high speed burst sequential mode. In the E-M1 Mark II, besides having a dedicated multi-core processor to focusing, the AF happens at real time while live view or EVF is in use, and in sequential high speed burst, the images captured (say 60fps, or 18fps) were all fully used to calculate/predict subject movements, creating a seamless, uninterrupted, full time continuous AF operation. And, 121 phase detect AF points, all full cross to increase sensitivity for tracking of subject movements.

A handful of informal shots I toook the first two weeks with the Mark II are here (http://www.pbase.com/dwever/em1).

Quote:
Good explanation!
Thank you. And I made the mistake in haste of not crediting an Olympus Malaysia employee with a blog and the last name of Wong as I recall for that clear explanation.

Last edited by dwever : Monday 13th March 2017 at 18:53.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th March 2017, 09:30   #104
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Good explanation!
Old Friday 24th March 2017, 18:38   #105
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Been playing around with High-Res and stacking. Love the High-Res feature!
Click image for larger version

Name:	32784362214_c7138ea1dd_b.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	619797

Full sized.
21 High-Res, 50 MB jpgs. E-M1 Mark II with Leicaflex Macro Elmarit-R 60/2.8 stopprd down to f/8. Gray skies, light falling in through the window with no fill in.
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 19:46   #106
katastrofa

Some BIF photos with E-M1 Mark II + Olympus 75-300mm II lens.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho.../photo/578820/
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho.../photo/578812/

I'm very new to this, so I'm sure the combo would do much better in the hands of an experienced photographer.

Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 20:17   #107
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Nothing special, but....

Name:	34184490536_6921c0c02c_h.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	623870

E-M1 II and Canon 400/5.6
This combination is spoiling me...

Last edited by DanC.Licks : Sunday 23rd April 2017 at 20:21.
Old Monday 24th April 2017, 06:23   #108
katastrofa

How close were you?

Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 18:42   #109
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

About 5-6 meters.
Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 23:58   #110
katastrofa

I think I made some progress:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho.../ppuser/104472

This one was faster than gulls:

Old Friday 28th April 2017, 07:08   #111
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Waves on water can be tricky as they can provide lots of contrast for the AF, so both gulls are not quite in focus. The immature HG has the focus on the left wing where there is also good contrast, so it is not far off. Always best to have the eye in focus, me thinks. Only solution is more light and stopping down a bit, and experimenting to see what works best. AF systems all need light and with these relatively slow lenses they can struggle. And shoot LOTS!
The MT is right on. :-) Also not an easy situation, but at least the AF finds the bird more attractive than the background.
I find the Mark II to be a little worse in being tempted by the background than the Mark I was, at least with the adapted Canon lens which uses only the phase detect system, just like FT lenses. I am finding it harder to single something out against either a stronger background or foreground. Need to practice more too... might just be my imagination.
The little 75-300 works quite well though because it can also use the contrast detect AF when it feels it needs it. Snappy little lens. Lots of bang for the buck/quid/€.

By the way, if you are thinking of making a monopod support like mine, there would be no problem resting the 75-300 in it further back. I just would not rest it on the extended barrel. Some pro level zooms wouldn't be a problem, but these little guys are not built for that kind of abuse.

Last edited by DanC.Licks : Friday 28th April 2017 at 07:12.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 11:08   #112
katastrofa

Thanks. Would panning help? It would blur the background, removing the temptation for the AF system to latch on to it.

Old Friday 28th April 2017, 18:22   #113
paulthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by katastrofa View Post
Thanks. Would panning help? It would blur the background, removing the temptation for the AF system to latch on to it.
I'd imagine you'd be panning anyway whilst following the bird so that probably answers your question :)

The real solution is to use as small an AF group as possible and maybe set the AF Lock a bit tighter. Remember too that there's no "set and forget" setting for AF Lock: you're going to need to set it according to the task you're asking the AF to perform. This is why the engineers at Olympus give you the ability to change it.

HTH

Paul
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 06:49   #114
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by katastrofa View Post
For sure! One thing to note though is that when panning, the IS can also be tricked by the background, that is, it can stabilize the background to make it easier for the AF to be tricked by it. I have my three sets configured like this:
C1 is for stationary subjects, (lets call them birds ...), C2 is for BiF, and C3 is for faster moving BiFs, so C1 and C2 are set to IS1 and C3 is IS off and with the ISO at 800 rather than my standard 400 on the first two. The sets are a great help, and I have configured the buttons etc so I can quickly move from one set to another, or from one focus point configuration to another without changing my grip and looking through the viewfinder. Brilliant to be able to do that. Oly-san really gave that one some thought!
If you want I can give you a complete rundown of what works for me, but with no guarantee it will work for you.
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 09:00   #115
katastrofa

Quote:
If you want I can give you a complete rundown of what works for me, but with no guarantee it will work for you.
Yes please, that would be great.

Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 09:26   #116
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Just did. ;-)
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343596
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 11:00   #117
katastrofa

Thanks!

Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 12:14   #118
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

You are very welcome! Hope it is of some help. In the meantime, it is time for lunch...

Name:	EM123308.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	624694
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 20:10   #119
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

An example of how water can trick the AF and ruin a shot:

Name:	EM123276.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	624758
Then a few seconds later after refocusing to be sure.

Name:	EM123277.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	624759

The goslings were right in the center on both shots, but little fuzzy things aren't as attractive to the AF an those nice high contrast back lit waves. I sensed that the AF wasn't cooperating so on the second shot I focused on one of the parents and re-framed. Good thing they weren't flying!

Another bad example....

Name:	EM123228.jpg
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	624764
It can happen SO easily....

Last edited by DanC.Licks : Saturday 29th April 2017 at 20:23.
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 21:21   #120
katastrofa

I went out and tested your settings today:

Not sure if it's perfectly in focus, but I'd probably have missed this crow completely if the camera wasn't prepared.

Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 06:18   #121
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

You can see the patterns in the feathers of the right wing, like on these tail feathers: (these are not moiré patterns, they are really there)

Name:	EM120948.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	624816
It seems the focus grabbed onto the wing feathers which in themselves have lots of contrast edges against the background. So I would say it looks pretty much right on. You had the ISO up high so the shutter speed is actually more than enough. A slower shutter speed would blur the background even more, but always at the risk of getting some motion blur in the wings, which I don't really mind so much if the overall effect is good. Try reducing the highs and high mids to tone down the background (can also be done by darkening and de-saturating the greens and yellows) and bringing up the shadows. I think then you would see more detail in the feathers. Crows are hard to nail. Nothing worse than black birds against a light background. That is one area where I see improvement in the Mark II; there is definitely a little more to play with in the shadows.
And remember, film is cheap these days, so shoot lots!

Edit:
I have taken the liberty to do a rough edit on the shot to illustrate what I mean. Hope you don't mind...

Name:	crow_in_flight1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	624818

Last edited by DanC.Licks : Sunday 30th April 2017 at 06:30.
Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 09:03   #122
katastrofa

Not at all, thanks! I need to work on my post-processing more.

Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 14:39   #123
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Back in the old B+W days we used to say 50% of photography takes place in the darkroom. Ansel Adams would sometimes spend as much as a month trying to get the "perfect" print.* Same is true today except darkroom has been replaced by Lightroom.
The tools we have today are so good and so fast! Amazing what you can do with even the simplest image processing software. There are even some free programs out there, like RawTherapee, that blow my mind they are so powerful.

* I gave up my photography business back in 1980 because I was so tired of the all-nighters in the darkroom struggling to meet deadlines. Really took the fun out of it. Now, after so many years, I am having fun again.
Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 18:43   #124
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Hungry, anyone?

Name:	EM123701.jpg
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	624937

The usual setup...
Old Monday 1st May 2017, 01:48   #125
katastrofa