Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 10th October 2016, 23:16   #1
Robert86
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4
Coatings Issue With Apo-televid 77

I bought a apo-televid 77 at an estate sale. It's in so so shape and wasn't treated well. The coatings look to be coming off. The views are still decent through it but I was curious if anyone has had this issue before and what if anything you did. I have a few telescopes and have had to remove old coatings before but that was relatively easy on that particular scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	601331  
Robert86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 11th October 2016, 10:04   #2
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,264
Hi,

from the picture I'm not sure if it's damaged coatings or some thing else. The pattern looks quite different than the usual rub marks from too much and improper cleaning. Maybe a heavy case of fungus cleaned up but damaged the coatings?

In any case, since re-coating a lens is not economical, I would either have it repaired by Leica (or try to get a replacement objective lens from them or elsewhere if able to do it yourself) or use as is. Trying to remove all of the coating will not necessarily improve the image and might du further damage...

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th October 2016, 22:49   #3
Robert86
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

from the picture I'm not sure if it's damaged coatings or some thing else. The pattern looks quite different than the usual rub marks from too much and improper cleaning. Maybe a heavy case of fungus cleaned up but damaged the coatings?

In any case, since re-coating a lens is not economical, I would either have it repaired by Leica (or try to get a replacement objective lens from them or elsewhere if able to do it yourself) or use as is. Trying to remove all of the coating will not necessarily improve the image and might du further damage...

Joachim
Thanks for the response. It's definitely not from improper cleaning as there are no scratches or sleaks in the objective. When you look closely at the coating in the bad areas it has almost a crinkled/rough appearance and when you look through those areas it's like looking through a light haze. Doing some further research this was a common issue during some years with the apo televid 77. I did contact Leica USA awhile ago but they never got back to me which doesn't speak well for their repair service to me. I know it's a shot in the dark that they would have a replacement objective lens given the age and they are no longer made but was worth a try.
Robert86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2016, 07:36   #4
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert86 View Post
Thanks for the response. It's definitely not from improper cleaning as there are no scratches or sleaks in the objective. When you look closely at the coating in the bad areas it has almost a crinkled/rough appearance and when you look through those areas it's like looking through a light haze.
Yep, that's a coating that's peeling off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert86 View Post
Doing some further research this was a common issue during some years with the apo televid 77.
That affected the objective lens. The glas they used in the objective was pretty soft, and the coating didn't stick to it very well, especially not when the scope was used near the coast with lots of salt in the air. When I heard the first reports of that problem I started using a filter immediately. Never had that problem myself until I sold the Apo-Televid.

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2016, 09:47   #5
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
That affected the objective lens. The glas they used in the objective was pretty soft, and the coating didn't stick to it very well, especially not when the scope was used near the coast with lots of salt in the air. When I heard the first reports of that problem I started using a filter immediately. Never had that problem myself until I sold the Apo-Televid.

Ouch, this sounds nasty... I hope the OP is able to at least get an answer from Leica service... fixing it free of charge would be a brilliant way to brighten their service reputation...

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th October 2016, 20:19   #6
Robert86
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4
Leica got back to me and quoted $550 to replace the front lens.
Robert86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th October 2016, 20:44   #7
birdboybowley
Registered User
 
birdboybowley's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: W Sussex, England
Posts: 8,190
Feel for you Robert - Leica are pieces of sh*t when it comes to sorting out problems with their lenses. They said the same for my objectove lens when it was a known fault on the earlier models....I haven't done anything with it as it doesn't affect the view. But when the eyepiece began to peel it was very noticeable and Leica were their usual crap selves so I just bought another eyepiece. Would NEVER buy anything from Leica again.....they are either completely clueless or (more likely) don't give a sh*t. Swarovski all the way for me now...they know the value of customer care.
__________________
"...Bureaucracy is a parasite that preys on free thought and suffocates free spirit..." Douglas Adams

www.adambowleyart.com
birdboybowley is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th October 2016, 22:40   #8
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,264
Hi,

ouch, sorry to hear that - Leica service at its best once again...

If the view is still ok, just use it.

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 21st November 2016, 20:41   #9
Hugh Delaney
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 58
This was a huge issue with Irish birders who bought the earlier models of Leica APO Televid 77, the seawatching weather here stripped the lense coatings in no time and rendered the Scope as useful as looking through a fuzzy milk bottle. Apparently it was resolved in later models but it put off plenty of people ever touching Leica Scopes again
Hugh Delaney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 19th September 2017, 16:09   #10
wachipilotes
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 144
Anyone know what years of production affected this problem?
I have one in view of the year 2007 ..
Thank you
Wachi
wachipilotes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 23:23   #11
Craig H
Registered User
 
Craig H's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: England
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachipilotes View Post
Anyone know what years of production affected this problem?
I have one in view of the year 2007 ..
Thank you
Wachi
I believe it was the earlier versions - pre 2000, but I could be wrong.
Craig H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 11:26   #12
yves0071
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: paris
Posts: 250
Hi,
Indeed, there is several type of peeling. I remember one on a 62 where the view was really affected where the coating was missing.
I tried many solvants and method to remove the remaining coating... in vain. So any information/experience will be welcome!
Clear that Leica is does not have the best Customer service (a shame for such costly equipment). and it is affecting the brand (like in a restaurant. we never badly remember a meal at high price, as far as the quality is there but we always remember a bad meal, whatever the price paid.
Regards
Yves
__________________
---BF Member since May 2010---

Last edited by yves0071 : Tuesday 7th November 2017 at 11:29.
yves0071 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 11:28   #13
yves0071
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: paris
Posts: 250
edited above
__________________
---BF Member since May 2010---
yves0071 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
coatings vs coatings... mnich Swarovski 2 Saturday 8th August 2015 15:15
Fun with Coatings OPTIC_NUT Others 2 Friday 2nd May 2014 19:36
coatings stereotruckdriver Swarovski 13 Wednesday 15th January 2014 02:59
Phase coatings SUPPRESSOR Zeiss 6 Wednesday 25th October 2006 23:47
New Coatings for the New Nikon LXL? Zolarcon Nikon 14 Friday 22nd April 2005 17:38

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17958498 seconds with 23 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:25.