Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 15th October 2016, 23:19   #1
Forcreeks
If you want to see something new in nature, take the same path you did yesterday.

Making a portable battery pack for Canon

Having digiscoped since year 2000, I've made numerous adaptations, even produced a universal adapter for sale before scope makers offered them.
Now having upgraded my Canon Powershot S-100 which has produced numerous award shots for me, and shot 10,000's of frames, I worried about it dying with no good backup. I decided to buy, after trying with scope in-store the newer G9X with 1" CMOS and 20MP's; a nice jump from my 12MP camera.

But the NB13-L batteries are not only small, but very expensive. I did buy 2 third-party ones and a USB charger, and another cigarette lighter charger one on Amazon; but I had to deal with how to charge in long shoots sitting in my blind.

My wife asked about battery packs. There are none for these series cameras. I decided I might be able to make one, or ruin the camera with bad voltage trying! I had already bought an Arteck "Jump-Starter" and electronics charger with USB output and 8,000 mAh capacity (the NB13-L ones claim 1,500mAh, but users say they last no longer than Canon's 1,250mAh ones. I'll try to attach the photo of my setup on the scope. The G9X is the first I've had with a rubber plug into the battery compartment so the camera can be left on the tripod when a battery-slug from an AC adapter is installed. I will also link my review at the Amazon page of the iTekiro AC adapter which explains in more detail how the components work together. I was prepared to cut and solder a USB cable onto the battery-slug cable female plug-end, but the included 10-to-1 white USB cable (free!) had the right socket on it. Perfect. - Steve B.https://www.amazon.com/iTEKIRO-Power...+Powershot+G9X
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon G9X with Arteck power IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	601925  

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: