Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 15th October 2016, 23:33   #1
Forcreeks
If you want to see something new in nature, take the same path you did yesterday.

Canon Powershot G9X - my super-battery pack

All, I'm one of the old and old-fashioned compact camera digiscopers, still placed 4th in last year's Swarovski DOY contest in Portraits with Canon S-100, but am afraid it's dying. The choice seemed to be get a backup one cheap on eBay (could get a lemon), or try for upgrade to G9X with its 1" sensor and upgrade from 12MP's to 20MP's. I went for it. Did enough test scoping in Best Buy's 15 day return period to decided to keep it; even if only as backup. I don't yet believe it's as sharp optically as my S-100 but the features are sure greatly advanced. Anyway it has a rubber plug for an AC adapter, and I took advantage of that to make my own "super-battery," maybe commonly called a battery pack (having never owned one)?? Maybe camera review at future date, but you can see the battery pack and how its on the scope in my new thread in the Accessories Forum. This may help someone else who'd like to do it, down the line. Purchase links and details there. Guess I might as well attach the same gear photo here. Best to all of you. Steve B.
p.s. if I ever need to jump a motor scooter battery out on a shoot, I'll be ready!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon G9X with Arteck power IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	601927  

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th October 2016, 07:22   #2
Forcreeks
If you want to see something new in nature, take the same path you did yesterday.

I have a photo now to show the GX9's performance. Mounted to Kowa TSN-824 on Kowa DA-1 adapter, with my Arteck 8000mAh battery.

Anna's Hummingbird shot at 1/500 sec. at ISO-125 (the lowest ISO), and Kowa 21X-wide EP. Camera was zoomed several clicks to fill frame. The shot is reduced to 50% of original size which was 5472 x 3648 pixels; and is sharpened one standard time, Photoshop. Looks good enough at full size for a poster-print.

For those not familiar with the GX9, it has mostly touch-screen control including all shot settings, erase, and screen-touch shutter release. Good fast burst rate. Comes with Wi-fi and is phone app compatible; is smaller and lighter than other 1" CMOS compacts.. about the same as my Powershot S-100.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anna's Hummingbird 10-12-16 IMG_9895-BFnet.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	601961  

Old Tuesday 18th October 2016, 19:50   #3
Sandpiper
Mike Powell

Looks to have good potential, Steve. Hope to see more shots soon.

Mike
Old Wednesday 26th October 2016, 08:14   #4
Forcreeks

G9X photo, newer

Been loving my super battery pack made from lightweight cycle and boat jumpstarter / electronics charger. Working great, have not had to recharge it yet after abt. 2 weeks, but the weather's been pretty bad. Anyway, here's a recent shot with my Kowa TSN-824 and 32X e.p. and the G9X. I'm liking the possibilities of having 20 MP's instead of the 12 I had with my S100, as you can crop close for lots of detail.. you've got the resolution even if the lens is no better. I'm finding there's detail in there worth blowing up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anna's Hummingbird 10-21-16 IMG_0099web.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	603260  

Old Sunday 4th December 2016, 21:32   #5
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcreeks View Post
Been loving my super battery pack made from lightweight cycle and boat jumpstarter / electronics charger. Working great, have not had to recharge it yet after abt. 2 weeks, but the weather's been pretty bad. Anyway, here's a recent shot with my Kowa TSN-824 and 32X e.p. and the G9X. I'm liking the possibilities of having 20 MP's instead of the 12 I had with my S100, as you can crop close for lots of detail.. you've got the resolution even if the lens is no better. I'm finding there's detail in there worth blowing up.
Looks like a good choice for digiscoping. How much is the unvignetted range of the lens?
Love the battery pack solution.
Neil.
Old Sunday 4th December 2016, 22:49   #6
Forcreeks

Good question Neil. I checked it out with my two eyepieces, 21x wide and 32x.
The G9X zoom range is 10.2 to 30.6mm.
There are nine pulls of it's zoom lever to reach the 30.6mm.
Both eyepieces require only two pulls to eliminate vignette.
I was surprised how good it was but had good hopes from the start knowing this is that rare 3X zoom camera. For a complete answer I hope to find in the digital user guide what each of nine steps amounts to, and maybe the 35mm camera equivalents. Paper manuals seem to be rare or extinct these days.
I've read reviews of this camera that say there is unacceptable shake in video record-mode. So beware buyers who'd need the video.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: