Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 20th January 2017, 15:21   #26
Binastro

It seems that a move to sunny California might solve the problem.
Old Friday 20th January 2017, 15:37   #27
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
It seems that a move to sunny California might solve the problem.
But I like having four seasons.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 11:57   #28
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
The IS on my glass would not stay on, even if I held down the IS button. However, the Canon service technician did not have the same problem. So they are trying to diagnose an elusive problem, an intermittent failure.
WG,

Any "successful" news yet on your Canons?

Ted
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 01:56   #29
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
WG,

Any "successful" news yet on your Canons?

Ted
Still in process, the IS now seems to come on but shuts off immediately.
Possibly the internal battery saver switch, which turns off the IS when the glass is let down, is locked in the off position, but I don't know.
Another round trip to Canon service is needed.
Not good, as they will again be missed, this time for a trip starting Feb 11.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 14:37   #30
Binastro

Hi.
Is it time to buy a discounted new 10x42L as a backup?
If you decided to sell it, I doubt you would lose much.
They are on sale locally, I believe, so you could try the prospective purchase one first, or even try several.

Best wishes.
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 15:59   #31
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Possibly the internal battery saver switch, which turns off the IS when the glass is let down, is locked in the off position, but I don't know.
WG,

If Canon is committed to making their originally-paid-for service good (no more charges to you), I'd go for it. Not sure the overall condition of the armor and housings, but once the IS is repaired "properly", you could sell it and pick up a new pair at currently 47.5% off MSRP!?

Of course, you could just wait another 10 weeks (or 10 years..no one knows) and upgrade to the pie-in-the-sky MKII version that drops 25% in weight and size, has superior optics to any alpha, ergonomics to die for, complete lifetime no-fault fully transferable warranty at a lower MSRP and of course, IS that will run 100 hrs on a set of batteries and perfectly stabilize FOV while exercising a brisk walk!

I understand missing your favorite glassing buddy, but hopefully you have some good back ups to painfully get-by with!

Ted
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 20:18   #32
Hermann

Quote:
This doesn't sound good. In fact, it almost seems as though the Canon is so complex that it's pretty difficult to repair once there's a problem with the stabilizer.

I really wish they improved the (cheap) 10x30, just a bit: Some more waterproofing, and an extended range for the dioptre adjustment. I'd get one straight away, as a kind of disposable binocular. Just use it until it breaks, and when it breaks get a new one.

Hermann
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 00:04   #33
etudiant

Have spoken with Canon regarding this repair, discovered that while I'd been sending the glass to California, the main repair site is in Virginia.
So my bad, sending the glass to where it was less likely to get experienced service.
Ideally, the glass will come back before I go to Texas on Feb 11, if not, my trusty Zeiss 8x30BGAs will have to serve.

The idea of buying a backup has crossed my mind, especially as the price currently is really absurdly cheap. My spouse paid more for this glass in 2006 than it sells for today.
However, I'm still trying to get rid of stuff, even years after leaving a house for an apartment, so I don't want to have 'just in case' gear around. That stuff is worse than kudzu, it only creates shareholder value for Westy's and related firms.

Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 00:30   #34
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
This doesn't sound good. In fact, it almost seems as though the Canon is so complex that it's pretty difficult to repair once there's a problem with the stabilizer.

I really wish they improved the (cheap) 10x30, just a bit: Some more waterproofing, and an extended range for the dioptre adjustment. I'd get one straight away, as a kind of disposable binocular. Just use it until it breaks, and when it breaks get a new one.

Hermann
Well, the idea is certainly worth considering.
It cannot be cheap to support a service infrastructure, especially for a firm with a very wide and complex product line such as Canons.
An alternative approach might be to offer a replacement unit instead, at a sharply discounted price.

My repair cost $517.01, I'd surely have paid 50% more for a replacement unit, even if it was merely a refurbished item, bypassing the service delays.
Of course, the $US 1000 sales price for new binoculars currently offered by reputable mass merchandisers here in NYC would have been better still.
Unfortunately, those prices were not offered last November, when I sent my Canons off to be repaired.

Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 00:48   #35
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Question

Quote:
Of course, the $US 1000 sales price for new binoculars currently offered by reputable mass merchandisers here in NYC would have been better still. Unfortunately, those prices were not offered last November, when I sent my Canons off to be repaired.
Yep WG...and I noticed on Monday the Canon Store has them back-in-stock at full MSRP and today, B&H has gone back up some more on their prices (-45%). Anybody's guess how long these deep discounts will continue at the 3 main on-line optic retailers (B&H, Adorama, Amazon)?

Ted
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: