• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon service experience (1 Viewer)

A
My 10x42L basically didn't work when new, until I passed electricity through it for more than an hour when it was horizontal. Initially the view just drifted up.

That was a smart idea! I did try something similar, but the IS kicked off even when the on button was held down, so my problem is not the same.

Separately, Amazon shopping eliminates the possibility of comparing several specimen to pick the best one.
The options are 'Like what you get or send it back.'
Guess we will all follow the path blazed by Dennis.

Hi,
It could be simply that a switch is somewhat corroded or not connecting properly. It could be anything.

My nightmare Bushnell 10x35 stabilized just switches off after a very short time despite being sent back over the ocean to the U.S., repaired under warranty, shipped back. It is useless and worthless. Even when it worked it didn't.

Somewhat off topic, the Olympus OM DE M1 Mark 11 (for short) has 6.5 stops of stabilization with Olympus lenses.
That is 90 times.
How about that on a scope?

It is described as akin to witchcraft.

Etudiant ... Sorry to hear there are still issues. Thanks for the additional information.

Does yours turn off immediately or at variable times when using it?

Mine has a couple of operating characteristics that turn it off. One is if I hold down the button for more than a 1/2 of a second when turning on the IS function, the IS turns off immediately when I remove my finger from the button. If I do not want to keep my finger on the button while viewing, I need to press it quickly for the IS to remain on with my finger off the button.

The second thing that turns it off is when the binocular is pointed downward for about 10 seconds. Maybe your sensor is out of adjustment and it turns off with less of a downward tilt. Whatever the problem, hopefully it will be an easy fix for Canon.

As this video shows, it is a complex piece of equipment. Looks like they have a micro processor controlling everything. Your Canon probably has more computer processing power than the moon lander had!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zNtA4j3Eo

Hi,
It could be simply that a switch is somewhat corroded or not connecting properly. It could be anything.

My nightmare Bushnell 10x35 stabilized just switches off after a very short time despite being sent back over the ocean to the U.S., repaired under warranty, shipped back. It is useless and worthless. Even when it worked it didn't.

Somewhat off topic, the Olympus OM DE M1 Mark 11 (for short) has 6.5 stops of stabilization with Olympus lenses.
That is 90 times.
How about that on a scope?

It is described as akin to witchcraft.

My suspicion is that my Canons have a similar problem. The glass was no longer sealed, as evidenced by moisture condensing on the inside of the objective cover glass when going out into the winter cold. So now some internal corrosion is disrupting the signal flow to the control elements. I just hope Canon can put it right again.

The Olympus stabilization is indeed spectacular.
Imho it points the way forward for hand held optics. That is to use a separate sensor from the human eye, to stabilize that sensor and to have it drive a display for the eye. Some birders have already made the transition, abandoned their scope and shifted to a long lens camera to support their observations. The camera technology continues to improve much faster than
scopes do, so that shift should accelerate.

Etudiant ... Sorry to hear there are still issues. Thanks for the additional information.

Does yours turn off immediately or at variable times when using it?

Mine has a couple of operating characteristics that turn it off. One is if I hold down the button for more than a 1/2 of a second when turning on the IS function, the IS turns off immediately when I remove my finger from the button. If I do not want to keep my finger on the button while viewing, I need to press it quickly for the IS to remain on with my finger off the button.

The second thing that turns it off is when the binocular is pointed downward for about 10 seconds. Maybe your sensor is out of adjustment and it turns off with less of a downward tilt. Whatever the problem, hopefully it will be an easy fix for Canon.

As this video shows, it is a complex piece of equipment. Looks like they have a micro processor controlling everything. Your Canon probably has more computer processing power than the moon lander had!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zNtA4j3Eo

The IS on my glass would not stay on, even if I held down the IS button.
However, the Canon service technician did not have the same problem.
So they are trying to diagnose an elusive problem, an intermittent failure.

The task is not eased by the temperature differences. It is steadily warm and sunny in Irvine CA, where the repair facility is located, but it is cold here in NYC, where the glass is carried. Swings in temperature accentuate problems with intermittent contacts, so they fail here rather than at the shop. :C

It would be wonderful if all aspects of the Canon could be under immediate computer control, because those chips are about bulletproof. Unfortunately the linkages from electronic to mechanical and back are much less robust and also very difficult to monitor. I think Canon has been working steadily to eliminate as many of them as possible, but my old 2006 vintage 10x42 is still stuffed with them. Hence my problem now.

The IS on my glass would not stay on, even if I held down the IS button. However, the Canon service technician did not have the same problem. So they are trying to diagnose an elusive problem, an intermittent failure.

WG,

Any "successful" news yet on your Canons?

Ted

WG,

Any "successful" news yet on your Canons?

Ted

Still in process, the IS now seems to come on but shuts off immediately.
Possibly the internal battery saver switch, which turns off the IS when the glass is let down, is locked in the off position, but I don't know.
Another round trip to Canon service is needed. :C
Not good, as they will again be missed, this time for a trip starting Feb 11.

Hi.
Is it time to buy a discounted new 10x42L as a backup?
If you decided to sell it, I doubt you would lose much.
They are on sale locally, I believe, so you could try the prospective purchase one first, or even try several.

Best wishes.

Possibly the internal battery saver switch, which turns off the IS when the glass is let down, is locked in the off position, but I don't know.

WG,

If Canon is committed to making their originally-paid-for service good (no more charges to you), I'd go for it. Not sure the overall condition of the armor and housings, but once the IS is repaired "properly", you could sell it and pick up a new pair at currently 47.5% off MSRP!?

Of course, you could just wait another 10 weeks (or 10 years..no one knows) and upgrade to the pie-in-the-sky MKII version that drops 25% in weight and size, has superior optics to any alpha, ergonomics to die for, complete lifetime no-fault fully transferable warranty at a lower MSRP and of course, IS that will run 100 hrs on a set of batteries and perfectly stabilize FOV while exercising a brisk walk! :eek!:

I understand missing your favorite glassing buddy, but hopefully you have some good back ups to painfully get-by with! :-C

Ted

This doesn't sound good. In fact, it almost seems as though the Canon is so complex that it's pretty difficult to repair once there's a problem with the stabilizer.

I really wish they improved the (cheap) 10x30, just a bit: Some more waterproofing, and an extended range for the dioptre adjustment. I'd get one straight away, as a kind of disposable binocular. Just use it until it breaks, and when it breaks get a new one.

Hermann

Have spoken with Canon regarding this repair, discovered that while I'd been sending the glass to California, the main repair site is in Virginia.
So my bad, sending the glass to where it was less likely to get experienced service.
Ideally, the glass will come back before I go to Texas on Feb 11, if not, my trusty Zeiss 8x30BGAs will have to serve.

The idea of buying a backup has crossed my mind, especially as the price currently is really absurdly cheap. My spouse paid more for this glass in 2006 than it sells for today.
However, I'm still trying to get rid of stuff, even years after leaving a house for an apartment, so I don't want to have 'just in case' gear around. That stuff is worse than kudzu, it only creates shareholder value for Westy's and related firms.

This doesn't sound good. In fact, it almost seems as though the Canon is so complex that it's pretty difficult to repair once there's a problem with the stabilizer.

I really wish they improved the (cheap) 10x30, just a bit: Some more waterproofing, and an extended range for the dioptre adjustment. I'd get one straight away, as a kind of disposable binocular. Just use it until it breaks, and when it breaks get a new one.

Hermann

Well, the idea is certainly worth considering.
It cannot be cheap to support a service infrastructure, especially for a firm with a very wide and complex product line such as Canons.
An alternative approach might be to offer a replacement unit instead, at a sharply discounted price.

My repair cost $517.01, I'd surely have paid 50% more for a replacement unit, even if it was merely a refurbished item, bypassing the service delays.
Of course, the $US 1000 sales price for new binoculars currently offered by reputable mass merchandisers here in NYC would have been better still.
Unfortunately, those prices were not offered last November, when I sent my Canons off to be repaired.

Of course, the $US 1000 sales price for new binoculars currently offered by reputable mass merchandisers here in NYC would have been better still. Unfortunately, those prices were not offered last November, when I sent my Canons off to be repaired.

Yep WG...and I noticed on Monday the Canon Store has them back-in-stock at full MSRP and today, B&H has gone back up some more on their prices (-45%). Anybody's guess how long these deep discounts will continue at the 3 main on-line optic retailers (B&H, Adorama, Amazon)?

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back