Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 28th December 2016, 18:31   #1
Eiwar
Mr. Technology

Looking for a tripod - 7DII + 100-400mm

Hello,

I'm looking for a tripod to support my new photo gear (Canon 7DII + 100-400mm). I've browsed the internet quite a lot recently, but finding information is difficult. Sure, everyone recommend Gitzo, but I don't really see myself spending 1000 on a tripod. Not yet at least.
I would rather aim for 400-500.

The other thing is, to get low to the ground, I would like to have it without a center column... which restricts the possibilities, and raises the height issue. I'm 178cm tall, what do you think should be the height of the tripod, considering that I want to put a gimbal head on it?

Last, I would rather have lever-locks than twist-locks, for the legs.

Does someone have experience with this kind of setup, from brands like Benro, Feisol, Manfrotto...? What about other brands?
I went to a local shop today, they told me that for many brands, you could actually remove a chunk of the center column, while some (Benro, I think) offer a shorter column (10-15cm) as an accessory. What do you think?

Thank you :)
Old Thursday 29th December 2016, 22:20   #2
johnf3f
johnf3f

"Sure, everyone recommend Gitzo, but I don't really see myself spending 1000€ on a tripod. Not yet at least." There might be a reason that people recommend Gitzo? I use Gitzo tripods for one simple reason - they are the cheapest brand that gives me the stability/robustness that I want.

It is a pity that you didn't ask this question earlier as Gitzo had a 50% off sale! The GT 3532LS (more than you need but when you ever get that 500 F4) was 383 Euros - I picked up a 4 series systematic for about 436 Euros.

Looking at your original post I agree that, ideally, center columns are best avoided but it is not always an option. As to leg locks? I would not even consider the flip type leg locks - they are just too flimsy. My tripods get a fair bit of abuse being used as walking poles etc - and I need something I can rely on. For example I used to have a Manfrotto 055 X B Pro - when set up I could push it down with one hand. I also used to have an old Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (very old twist locks) which I couldn't push down full stop - my 100+ kilo weight was simply not enough. Note the newer Gitzo leg locks are better.

I would suggest that you get a Gitzo - they do not, necessarily cost a fortune. The G1329 that I mentioned cost less than 120 Euros! Keep an eye on sites such as FleaBay and any camera shops in your area. Even new they are not always too expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Gitzo-...gAAOSwCGVX9mh1

Just some food for thought? Check that the GT2542S is tall enough for you before you buy.
Old Thursday 29th December 2016, 23:16   #3
Dave Williams

For daylight photography I wouldn't even consider using a tripod with that set up as it's so lightweight. Low to the ground a bean bag should suffice if you need to rest the outfit.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: