Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 16:56   #951
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaA View Post
30. Coal tit . Enjoying the sunflower seeds in one of the feeders , I have never a coal tit before in the garden .
Presumably they're generally not keen on your elevation Brenda?
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 16:28   #952
lazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazza View Post
A couple of species to add to the list from last week, one presumably missed in error earlier in the year:

38. Herring gull (surely not the first I've seen over the garden this year, but I don't appear to have listed it so far)
39. Oystercatcher

Not been keeping the 2017 garden list up-to-date on this thread, but worth an update this week as I have just added a new species to my life list for this garden:

40. Barn swallow (July)
41. Buzzard (July)
42. Greenfinch (September)
43. Tawny Owl (h/o)
44. Mistle Thrush
45. Tree Sparrow
46. Redwing
47. Cormorant - new for the garden
2017 year list: 249 (Long-tailed Duck, Snab Point, Cresswell, Northumberland; November)
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 09:42   #953
BrendaA
BrendaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Presumably they're generally not keen on your elevation Brenda?
Hi Ken ,I didnt think of that but could be so though always have several great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits from end of october until about end march but first time a coal tit. Also been a first having a hawfinch in the garden , there are a male and female seeing them several times a day near the feeders , hope will stay the winter. Have about 60 birds in my garden every day. Lots house sparrows all year around. Saw a european griffon fly over here during the week, there are quite lot around always but I dont often see them myself.
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 10:07   #954
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Snap Brenda, we too have a couple of Hawfinches visiting at the moment and a little gang of 4 Yellowhammers. Last weekend’s snowfall produced the first Willow and Crested Tits to visit the feeders( they tend to stay in the forest) but we get a lot of Coal Tits here, very entertaining! Will add a photo of an odd(leucistic?) Goldfinch that has returned for its second winter.
As for Cormorants Lazza, Anything with webbed feet would be a Mega here, Goosander In breeding season perhaps.....
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 11:32   #955
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaA View Post
Hi Ken ,I didnt think of that but could be so though always have several great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits from end of october until about end march but first time a coal tit. Also been a first having a hawfinch in the garden , there are a male and female seeing them several times a day near the feeders , hope will stay the winter. Have about 60 birds in my garden every day. Lots house sparrows all year around. Saw a european griffon fly over here during the week, there are quite lot around always but I dont often see them myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Snap Brenda, we too have a couple of Hawfinches visiting at the moment and a little gang of 4 Yellowhammers. Last weekend’s snowfall produced the first Willow and Crested Tits to visit the feeders( they tend to stay in the forest) but we get a lot of Coal Tits here, very entertaining! Will add a photo of an odd(leucistic?) Goldfinch that has returned for its second winter.
As for Cormorants Lazza, Anything with webbed feet would be a Mega here, Goosander In breeding season perhaps.....
Lucky Buggers you two with Hawfinch in the garden! Although having had a number of flyovers and a couple of singles (distantly) perched up briefly, never had them during the Winter months. April (1), May (1), October (once with 3 birds) and several times in July....to have them regularly would be no.1 on my Xmas list.
Old Sunday 19th November 2017, 14:04   #956
Hamasmith
Harold

Gold Surprise!

Been quite awhile since I looked at the forum.

Reading BrendaA's post about Coal Tit first in her garden.

Everyday 3 to 4 Coal Tits visit my garden, particularly in the early morning. My neighbour, across the road from me tells me that Goldcrests frequent his garden. In the 35+ years of garden birdwatching I have never had Goldcrests in mine. Lots of others, including Sparrowhawk, Heron and once flushed a Snipe from my herbaceous bed.

The other day my wife called me and to my surprise there were two Goldcrests foraging in my espalier apple trees. A very definite garden first and is now on my birding list as a 'Gold' Star day.

Harold.
Old Monday 20th November 2017, 08:02   #957
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Sandy the Goldfinch

Continuing the 'gold' theme here's a photo of 'Sandy' the anaemic Goldfinch back for its second winter, I assume this is leucism? In a flock of 30 that are visiting this morning along with a record-breaking 9 Yellowhammers plus of course a handsome Hawfinch Ken!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldfinch leucism.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	646828  
Old Monday 20th November 2017, 20:46   #958
BryanP

A few more

A few more seen and about time the Yellow-throated Toucans finally showed up not to mention the Lineated Woodpecker.

80. Eastern Wood Peewee
81. Lineated Woodpecker
82. Cattle Egret
84. Nashville Warbler
85. Yellow-throated Toucan
86. Masked Tityra, I'm surprised it took this long to see one.
87. Snowy-bellied Hummingbird. We were hoping we'd see one here, they are mostly a little higher up the mountain.

We might hit a hundred by December 31 but it'll be a tough slog from here on in.

I've been told we should really be seeing around 125 at this elevation but I think I'm starting to bump up against the limits of my own identification skills.

As mentioned once before ornamental plants in the garden slow things down as well. I'm not sure why gardeners like to plant exotics. Perhaps the challenge of getting a plant that doesn't like the local conditions in the first place to thrive.

The landlord said I could plant a few native fruiting species in my corner of the garden which I did. When he saw them he said “weeds'” I said “birds”

Bryan.
Old Tuesday 21st November 2017, 08:15   #959
Warixenjalka

#61. Brambling - one female
Last lifer: Great Northern Diver (#411), WP ticks: 300, Finnish ticks: 240, Eco ticks: 181

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warixenjalka/sets/
Old Tuesday 21st November 2017, 08:43   #960
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
A few more seen and about time the Yellow-throated Toucans finally showed up not to mention the Lineated Woodpecker.

80. Eastern Wood Peewee
81. Lineated Woodpecker
82. Cattle Egret
84. Nashville Warbler
85. Yellow-throated Toucan
86. Masked Tityra, I'm surprised it took this long to see one.
87. Snowy-bellied Hummingbird. We were hoping we'd see one here, they are mostly a little higher up the mountain.

We might hit a hundred by December 31 but it'll be a tough slog from here on in.

I've been told we should really be seeing around 125 at this elevation but I think I'm starting to bump up against the limits of my own identification skills.

As mentioned once before ornamental plants in the garden slow things down as well. I'm not sure why gardeners like to plant exotics. Perhaps the challenge of getting a plant that doesn't like the local conditions in the first place to thrive.

The landlord said I could plant a few native fruiting species in my corner of the garden which I did. When he saw them he said “weeds'” I said “birds”

Bryan.
Well we share one species for the year Bryan, and mine to was a flyover grdn.tick, I think you might get it. No chance of me hitting eighty let alone a hundred, I'm hoping for a cold snap...that potentially could get me a few more.

Cheers
Old Tuesday 21st November 2017, 08:51   #961
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
#61. Brambling - one female
Always a nice bird to get Wari!, presume they're regular with you...not for me though, although one year during January I had 16 in the garden....a-a-a-h those were the days.
Old Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 12:05   #962
Warixenjalka

I wouldn't say that Bramblings are regular in my garden. I see them mostly at migration and sometimes (very rarely) they might spend whole winter here (in southern Finland).
Last lifer: Great Northern Diver (#411), WP ticks: 300, Finnish ticks: 240, Eco ticks: 181

Old Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 17:07   #963
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Our Bramblings have moved on/up?/out?, probably something to do with the silly tee shirt weather this week, very mild and sunny days and not even a frost last night despite the clear skies.
I could hardly believe my eyes this afternoon, if I had to do a list of the next possible garden ticks this one would not have been in the first 20 as it's a species rarely seen at our altitude in Haute-Savoie (just a couple per year on average). So it counts as Bird of the Year for me here (so far) :

85 Lesser spotted Woodpecker
Old Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 23:14   #964
KenM

Quote:
I could hardly believe my eyes this afternoon, if I had to do a list of the next possible garden ticks this one would not have been in the first 20 as it's a species rarely seen at our altitude in Haute-Savoie (just a couple per year on average). So it counts as Bird of the Year for me here (so far) :

.......you probably require a "Greater Spotter" to find one of those Richard.
Old Thursday 23rd November 2017, 12:18   #965
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Our Bramblings have moved on/up?/out?, probably something to do with the silly tee shirt weather this week, very mild and sunny days and not even a frost last night despite the clear skies.

Nice.

I live in hope that some day I see LSW in my garden.

Old Thursday 23rd November 2017, 12:45   #966
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Nice.

One day you will Wari, after all the only LSW I had seen this year was in Helsinki, so not too far from you
Old Monday 27th November 2017, 19:02   #967
BryanP

Quote:
Well we share one species for the year Bryan, and mine to was a flyover grdn.tick, I think you might get it. No chance of me hitting eighty let alone a hundred, I'm hoping for a cold snap...that potentially could get me a few more.

Cheers
Hi Ken
If I'm guessing correctly, yes it seems we do share a garden tic. I was unaware that they aren't native to the Americas, having arrived in South America from Africa around 1877, tough little buggers.

Anyway a new one that has been hanging around with the Baltimore Orioles. She went unnoticed for days until her pale yellow wash around the head and underparts instead of the light orange of the Baltimores finally sunk in. Not much gets by me

88. Orchid Oriole.
Old Monday 27th November 2017, 20:26   #968
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
Hi Ken
If I'm guessing correctly, yes it seems we do share a garden tic. I was unaware that they aren't native to the Americas, having arrived in South America from Africa around 1877, tough little buggers.

Anyway a new one that has been hanging around with the Baltimore Orioles. She went unnoticed for days until her pale yellow wash around the head and underparts instead of the light orange of the Baltimores finally sunk in. Not much gets by me

88. Orchid Oriole.
Another one I won't be getting Bryan!....however ''up the road'' in Oxfordshire a few years back now, we had an overwintering Baltimore Oriole, and during 1989 ''down the road'' in Larkfield, Kent, we had an overwintering Golden-winged Warbler!!! .....so never say die!
Old Monday 27th November 2017, 22:29   #969
BryanP

Quote:
Another one I won't be getting Bryan!....however ''up the road'' in Oxfordshire a few years back now, we had an overwintering Baltimore Oriole, and during 1989 ''down the road'' in Larkfield, Kent, we had an overwintering Golden-winged Warbler!!! .....so never say die!
Oops! I was sure it was the other guy that was a shared tick. It never would have occurred to me that it was the Baltimore Oriole. It must have been very cool to see them over in your neck of the woods. Was it a male? Either way, nice bird for you guys.

These two this afternoon takes us to 90 ticks anyway,

89. Chestnut-sided Warbler
90. Vaux Swift (flyovers of course)
Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 12:38   #970
Paul Longland

Quote:
Nice.

I live in hope that some day I see LSW.......................
Never mind a garden first. And that is despite regular trips to known haunts in and around Sherwood forest from February through to April every year for the past who knows how long in my quest to nail this Bogey.
Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 19:19   #971
Simon Wates

Have I gone crazy? This afternoon I was about half a mile from home a little inland sat in the car doing a little local birding and I saw a raptor that would be a year tick for my "from home list". I sped home specifically to see it from home....oh dear

78. Short-toed Eagle

They're not rare here at all, in fact I'm surprised not to have seen one near home this year.
Old Friday 1st December 2017, 00:24   #972
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
That sounds interesting . . . new to science?

Got me, .....
Red Crossbillls
But still have not had any show up at the feeders.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 09:34   #973
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wates View Post
Have I gone crazy? This afternoon I was about half a mile from home a little inland sat in the car doing a little local birding and I saw a raptor that would be a year tick for my "from home list". I sped home specifically to see it from home....oh dear

78. Short-toed Eagle

They're not rare here at all, in fact I'm surprised not to have seen one near home this year.
Not at all, Simon! I've done that a few times.

The other day I was about a mile from home when a Raven went over - but I was on foot! Still need it.
Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 10:41   #974
Jos Stratford
Back again...

White-tailed Eagle and Rough-legged Buzzard in last days, neither a year bird.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 12:33   #975
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Not at all, Simon! I've done that a few times.

The other day I was about a mile from home when a Raven went over - but I was on foot! Still need it.
Me too Simon and H, in my case it was Red Kite a couple of months ago, it would've been a Garden tick for here too but by the time I'd got home it was gone. A cold snap here is seeing the feeders emptied twice a day (I'll have to get some of Jos' industrial-size silos soon!) and has apparently shifted some of the hardiest Alpine Accentors down from the mountainside, I heard one in the fog the other day (first thinking it was a lark flight calling ), then at dawn yesterday at least two flew off calling from somewhere on the outside of the house as I opened the shutters, I still haven't seen them though, so a heard-only garden year tick for now. I'll just have to content myself watching the regular three Hawfinches (all cracking males Ken ) munching the sunflower seeds, it's a hard life sometimes.....

86 Alpine Accentor
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: