Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 3rd January 2017, 21:26   #1
Binoseeker
Mostly using spectacles (myopic) with binoculars.

150/600 Contemporary and Canon EOS M5 ?

Anyone tried the Contemporary with the mirrorless Canon EOS M5, using adapter EF-EOS M ? AF performance ?

Regards,

Anders

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 5th March 2017, 19:53   #2
Binoseeker
Mostly using spectacles (myopic) with binoculars.

Focus speed test with Canon EOS M5 +adapter EF-EOS M + Sigma C 150-600mm at 600mm+Extender 2x.

I put the lens cap on the lens. I measured time for the M5 camera (camera shop demo) to move the lens focus from infinity to closest focus distance and back to infinity while pressing the shutter button. The cycle took appr. 7.5s. Same cycle took appr. 12s using Olympus E-M1 mkI + metabones smart adapter instead.

The sky was grey with some small snowflakes in the air, so circumstances for focus testing against objects wasn´t that good. The camera took its time to focus, similar slow behaviour as when using E-M1 mk I with the same lens. I will try to do more tests another time on a brighter day.

I had the M5 a short time and I think these peculiarities might be true...hope I am wrong…. :
- LCD screen can´t be shut off.
- It is easy to move the focus area from the center when accidentally touching the lcd screen with hand or nose when putting the EVF to the eye.
- When looking at taken images on the lcd screen you must first manually shut off that viewing mode before you can take images again. On the E-M1 you just put the camera evf to the eye and the image viewing mode shuts of automatically.

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: