Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 00:33   #1
Oscar56

Favourite Panasonic Kit for Birding?

Too many choices!

i want a camera that I can still capture RAW with that will be used for birding. This is for identification / documentation purposes and perhaps printing up to 8 x 10. Video capture sounds promising for those small, and hard to capture sparrows and warblers.

what is your preferred kit from the Panasonic family?
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 00:53   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Oscar, with Panasonic, I think you should firstly be aware that there are three useful classes, based on sensor size.
Small sensor bridge cameras currently exemplified with FZ300 and FZ200 models. These have the lens providing maximum zoom effect so an advantage for distant birds. The small sensor puts some limits on quality, especially in less light.
1-inch sensor currently exemplified with FZ2000 (FZ2500) which just was awarded as "Best consumer stills/video camera of the year" by DPReview (https://www.dpreview.com/articles/89...-2016?slide=14). This model still has a built in zoom but cannot zoom quite as extreme as the smaller sensor camera.
m4/3 (micro-four-thirds) has the largest sensor. These are interchangeable lens cameras where you would need a camera body and separately, a telephoto lens. This is the camera type with the largest sensor and the one that should perform the best, but also the most costly class. I prefer the shape of a G or GH model but not the GX models. The current best camera available here is the G80/85 or its predecessor G7. In addition, you would need a lens such as the 100-300 or for a higher cost, 100-400.

Finally, if you are prepared to put a lot of money into a purchase, you should consider the Olympus EM1-ii which would be able to use the same two lenses as e.g., the G80.

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: