Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 17:00   #51
crapbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Many thanks nikonmike for your comments.

I showed my results to a colleague, a semi-professional wildlife photographer and in his opinion, many of the images matched the IQ of those obtained with his EM1i - 300 f4 PRO combination. To be fair, he like me would need to undertake a far more extensive testing programme before claiming the performance of the two lenses was exactly comparable. To get back to your comment, yes I agree the G80 certainly punches above its weight with the PL 100-400. Until or unless I can solve the EM1ii AF issue, the G80 will be my body of choice.
Some results from a quick test run with the G80 PL100-400 combination at 1300hrs BST today.

Images of sub-adult Herring Gull, Western Jackdaw and Common Teal are as 'back of the camera' (no cropping or editing). These results are very encouraging after only an 8 day trial period but as previously stated on this thread, an experienced user should be able to do better.

Yet to finish checking through the EM1ii settings but have to admit to not feeling too eager as things are at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030303-001-2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	641435  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030343-001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	641436  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030364-001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	641437  
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 01:19   #52
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Focusing seems spot on for these

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 08:01   #53
crapbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Focusing seems spot on for these

Niels
Thank you Niels.

After years of frustration with attempting to find a satisfactory match between many Canikon bodies and lenses, I have been pleasantly surprised with the consistent results obtained since changing to the m4/3 format last March.

My experience so far has been limited to Olympus and Panasonic equipment but there seems to be no problem with interchangeabilty between the makes. Perhaps most pleasing has been losing the constant nagging suspicion that maybe I need to AF fine tune. Not given up with the EM1ii but not totally convinced at the moment it was a vital acquisition for my needs.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 09:04   #54
davids

Quote:
Some results from a quick test run with the G80 PL100-400 combination at 1300hrs BST today.

Images of sub-adult Herring Gull, Western Jackdaw and Common Teal are as 'back of the camera' (no cropping or editing). These results are very encouraging after only an 8 day trial period but as previously stated on this thread, an experienced user should be able to do better.

Yet to finish checking through the EM1ii settings but have to admit to not feeling too eager as things are at the moment.
Those are great pictures. I would be interested to know your camera settings and whether you are using the teleconverter. Also what picture size you use.

Thanks

David
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 13:54   #55
crapbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids View Post
Those are great pictures. I would be interested to know your camera settings and whether you are using the teleconverter. Also what picture size you use.

Thanks

David
David.

My understanding is that a TC is not compatible with this lens and I have found so far that X2 digital zoom meets my needs. I always use jpeg picture size L(4592X3448).

Settings for images shown; 1/1000 @f6.3 ISO 200 (S priority, ISOauto, AWB, DZ= X2, EC-0.33, AFC, Centre Weight, Photo Style Standard (S+1).

Lightweight tripod on rough grassland.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 14:34   #56
davids

Quote:
David.

My understanding is that a TC is not compatible with this lens and I have found so far that X2 digital zoom meets my needs. I always use jpeg picture size L(4592X3448).

Settings for images shown; 1/1000 @f6.3 ISO 200 (S priority, ISOauto, AWB, DZ= X2, EC-0.33, AFC, Centre Weight, Photo Style Standard (S+1).

Lightweight tripod on rough grassland.
Thanks. I should have been clearer. I meant the Extra Tele Conversion function which to quote Panasonic "enables you to take pictures that are further enlarged without deteriorating the picture quality." However, if you shoot in Large this function isn't available. It can only be used in Medium and Small picture sizes where it gives you 1.4x and 2x enlargement respectively. As far as I understand this teleconversion is different from Digital Zoom where the image quality will deteriorate as you zoom in. Although from your pictures it looks as though even with DZ the results are impressive

I'm undecided whether this extra tele conversion is useful or whether it is better to shoot in RAW and crop in post processing.

Any views from yourself or other users would be welcome

Regards

David
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 15:25   #57
crapbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids View Post
Thanks. I should have been clearer. I meant the Extra Tele Conversion function which to quote Panasonic "enables you to take pictures that are further enlarged without deteriorating the picture quality." However, if you shoot in Large this function isn't available. It can only be used in Medium and Small picture sizes where it gives you 1.4x and 2x enlargement respectively. As far as I understand this teleconversion is different from Digital Zoom where the image quality will deteriorate as you zoom in. Although from your pictures it looks as though even with DZ the results are impressive

I'm undecided whether this extra tele conversion is useful or whether it is better to shoot in RAW and crop in post processing.

Any views from yourself or other users would be welcome

Regards

David
David.

Yet to explore the ETC option so unable to comment but like you, would welcome views from those who have.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 18:45   #58
Ian Shepherd

Quote:

I would be most grateful for any advice/comments Ian Shepherd or any other user of the EM1ii - PL100-400 is prepared to give me.
The most noticeable difference between the two bodies I found was that the EM1ii consistently 'hunted' 3 times before AF was confirmed in SAF mode (not tried CAF). The G80 in AFC mode, came up with AF confirmation almost without fail, at the first time of asking.[/quote]

Appolgies for this delayed reply - I've not visited the site for a few days. Glad you like the PL100-400, and sorry for your autofocus issue with the EM1ii. I have to agree with Jim M that the autofocus hunting is a big surprise. Like Jim, I find that S-AF autofocussing with the EM1ii and 100-400 (& also 300+1.4x) is very fast and accurate.Never hunts.
Maybe a menu setting problem? I'm sure every EM1ii owner has encountered a few of those in the early days of ownership. First thing I'd check is that, in Custom Menu 1A, AF Scanner is set to Mode 2.
Maybe a more serious camera software fault? Is there hunting in C-AF too? If the issue has always been apparent on your EM1ii, is there anyway you can try the 100-400 on a different EM1ii body?

Last edited by Ian Shepherd : Sunday 1st October 2017 at 18:50.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 20:24   #59
crapbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shepherd View Post
Quote:

I would be most grateful for any advice/comments Ian Shepherd or any other user of the EM1ii - PL100-400 is prepared to give me.
The most noticeable difference between the two bodies I found was that the EM1ii consistently 'hunted' 3 times before AF was confirmed in SAF mode (not tried CAF). The G80 in AFC mode, came up with AF confirmation almost without fail, at the first time of asking.
Appolgies for this delayed reply - I've not visited the site for a few days. Glad you like the PL100-400, and sorry for your autofocus issue with the EM1ii. I have to agree with Jim M that the autofocus hunting is a big surprise. Like Jim, I find that S-AF autofocussing with the EM1ii and 100-400 (& also 300+1.4x) is very fast and accurate.Never hunts.
Maybe a menu setting problem? I'm sure every EM1ii owner has encountered a few of those in the early days of ownership. First thing I'd check is that, in Custom Menu 1A, AF Scanner is set to Mode 2.
Maybe a more serious camera software fault? Is there hunting in C-AF too? If the issue has always been apparent on your EM1ii, is there anyway you can try the 100-400 on a different EM1ii body?[/quote]

Many thanks Ian.

By coincidence, AF Scanner setting was checked yesterday and reset to Mode 2 as you suggest. On re-reading the instructions, Mode 2 seemed the more suitable than my previous choice (Mode 3 as I recall). Miserable wet day in my part of Norfolk so not had chance to test the new setting. Hunting used to occur in C-AF despite using no higher than 6fps, again no chance to test this feature after the reset.

Could be several days before the next test opportunity with my EM1ii and little likelihood of getting hold of a different sample but will publish the results of the next test.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 22:05   #60
Ian Shepherd

Those interested in using the oly internal tc might find this link of use -www.thewanderinglensman.com/2015/11/a-larely-unknown-gem-of-feature-on.html?m=1

Last edited by Ian Shepherd : Monday 2nd October 2017 at 07:12. Reason: updated link
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 07:55   #61
crapbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shepherd View Post
Those interested in using the oly internal tc might find this link of use -www.thewanderinglensman.com/2015/11/a-larely-unknown-gem-of-feature-on.html?m=1
As ever, there are conflicting views among the users and here are just two I've found online:-

"If needed, this can be easily (and better) done in post-processing, at the expense of no enlarged view in the finder. I strongly recommend turning this feature Off and forgetting about its existence."

"I see uses for this, maybe in macro work or street photography and movies. Even more useful if you assign it to a dedicated button. I have this enabled and assigned."

My own albeit limited experience with this feature led to having it enabled and assigned.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 23:02   #62
njlarsen
Opus Editor

IF everything else was equal I would go with option one of the two you list. However, there has been several reports of this type of function also improving AF on far away objects.

The reason I am still not using the function on my G85 is that I prefer the RAW images for the post processing. The functionality of in camera crop (which is what this TC really is) is not compatible with RAW as far as I know.

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 17:37   #63
crapbirder

Quote:
As ever, there are conflicting views among the users and here are just two I've found online:-

"If needed, this can be easily (and better) done in post-processing, at the expense of no enlarged view in the finder. I strongly recommend turning this feature Off and forgetting about its existence."

"I see uses for this, maybe in macro work or street photography and movies. Even more useful if you assign it to a dedicated button. I have this enabled and assigned."

My own albeit limited experience with this feature led to having it enabled and assigned.
Quote:
IF everything else was equal I would go with option one of the two you list. However, there has been several reports of this type of function also improving AF on far away objects.

The reason I am still not using the function on my G85 is that I prefer the RAW images for the post processing. The functionality of in camera crop (which is what this TC really is) is not compatible with RAW as far as I know.

Niels
Exactly Niels, personal choice as ever. I want to stick with jpeg and my problem at the moment is deciding which of the helpful suggestions offered on this forum is best suited to my needs.

However, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel in relation to my E-M1ii 'hunting issues." After unsuccessfully tinkering with various AF-related settings, went for a FULL RESET and then, adjusted only those defaults which I considered necessary to obtain usable images of birds in non-flight mode (BIF later, walk before running). As the testing was carried out in very poor light and AF acquired at almost every first time of asking, I have high hopes of of even greater success in decent conditions.
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 14:07   #64
crapbirder

Quote:

However, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel in relation to my E-M1ii 'hunting issues." After unsuccessfully tinkering with various AF-related settings, went for a FULL RESET and then, adjusted only those defaults which I considered necessary to obtain usable images of birds in non-flight mode (BIF later, walk before running). As the testing was carried out in very poor light and AF acquired at almost every first time of asking, I have high hopes of of even greater success in decent conditions.
Still not completely satisfied the E-M1ii AF issues have been resolved but success in another area may be of interest.

Since changing to the m4/3 format earlier this year, I've not managed to locate a source of waterproof/protective covers made specifically for the format. However, I found a manufacturer based in Warrington, Cheshire who compared the overall dimensions of a G80/PL100-400 outfit I had supplied, with one of their stock covers and suggested it was a near match. Although their stock item, Size 1L, was not made in the material pattern I preferred, they offered to produce a 'special' at no extra charge.

From order to receipt took just 5 days at a cost of GBP 13.50 including postage. The quality of the material and manufacture is good value for money in my view and the product is especially functional in that the zoom ring can easily be reached for adjustment to be made. Anyone interested can email the manufacturer at sales@outdoorphotographygear.co.uk
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 20:33   #65
nikonmike

A bit quiet in here and ime only just back so still trying to get my eye in with mirrorless, the first is a fun shot, the G80 and 100-400 did well to lock on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080492.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	646286  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080529sm.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	646287  
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 22:14   #66
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Those are both really nice. One of mine: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...p?photo=592224

Niels

Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 07:31   #67
nikonmike

Quote:
Those are both really nice. One of mine: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...p?photo=592224

Niels
Nice one, i have a very short window of opportunity now for small birds for various reasons, hopefully that will start soon.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 01:34   #68
njlarsen
Opus Editor

A different type of shot http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...7/limit/recent

Niels

Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 18:23   #69
nikonmike

Quote:
He has his eye on you.

Still trying the odd impossible shot, but getting there with the easier ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080738.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	646673  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080719.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	646674  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread