Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 14:23   #1
robledo

New Opticron Spotting Scope.

Hello
I've just seen at Opticron website the video of a new spotting scope, the MM4 Travelscope. Does anybody know anything about its specs ?

Pablo
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 18:07   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

You probably will have to wait for some more info from the company itself ...

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th January 2017, 09:56   #3
JoeRawles
Feathers Wild Bird Care

As said, no info on specs yet until Opticron release more info. They're due in Feb sometime and are set to retail at a similar price to the MM3. I believe the body is very similar but there are improvements optically, which given how good the MM3 is/was is quite exciting!
Old Friday 20th January 2017, 10:42   #4
scholesy_leeds

Some opportunities to see/experience this new MM4 scope today at Brockholes nature reserve (Lancashire Wildlife Trust, near Preston) today and then at Potteric Carr (YWT, near Doncaster) on Saturday 21st January. Gunna try and get to Potteric Saturday morning for a look.
Old Thursday 26th January 2017, 15:32   #5
FrankD

As soon as I get my hands on the 50 and 60 (hopefully first couple weeks of February) I will post here along with comparisons (with pics) to the MM3 models.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Thursday 26th January 2017, 22:16   #6
Bwana1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
As soon as I get my hands on the 50 and 60 (hopefully first couple weeks of February) I will post here along with comparisons (with pics) to the MM3 models.
Frank, I'm really looking forward to your review and thoughts...the comparison between the 50/60 is a biggie for me, I've already settled on waiting for the MM4

Thanks again
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 19:14   #7
Joe.S

I really hope it's nitrogen purged because the MM3 wasn't.

BF Supporter 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 20:42   #8
Bwana1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.S View Post
According to the specs, that's not true...or could never have fog proof

Design Features Waterproof
Optics are sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the spotting scope.

Fog proof
Barrel is filled with nitrogen gas to inhibit internal fogging.

along with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi123 View Post
Before buying the MM3 60 ED earlier this year, I contacted Opticron via email to ask whether it was waterproof as i needed to ensure that i wouldnt get fogging. They confirmed to me via email that it was waterproof and nitrogen filled: Heres a excerpt from their email:

'Dear +++

The MM3 series are nitrogen waterproof so you won’t have any problems of misting up. Just make sure to choose one of the HDF fixed magnification eyepieces or the 40936 SDLv2 zoom eyepiece to go with it.'

Last edited by Bwana1 : Saturday 28th January 2017 at 20:46.
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 20:42   #9
Chris Galvin

Quote:
The details about the new MM4 ED scopes are now up on the Opticron website

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/mm4_scope.html
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 20:51   #10
Joe.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana1 View Post
According to the specs, that's not true...or could never have fog proof

Optics are sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the spotting scope.

Fog proof
Barrel is filled with nitrogen gas to inhibit internal fogging.

along with this:
Unfortunately, it isn't. Here's an email reply from someone in their service dept (my mm3 60mm fogged-up).

"The MM3 is a well sealed scope, which is why we guarantee it as rainproof, but itís not hermetically sealed or nitrogen filled, so air can move in and out of it.

You can greatly reduce the chance of it misting up by storing the scope in a dry place when not using it. Ideally with some silica gel, which helps to remove moisture from the vicinity ( I can post some of this out to you if you like). This wonít guarantee that it never happens again, but it does make it far less likely.

It can also be useful to every now and again, leave it overnight in an airing cupboard or similar extremely dry location."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fogged.two MM3 60 (2) (4).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	613427  

Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 20:58   #11
Bwana1

Joe,
Interesting, the MM4 is also listed as nitrogen filled ?

"Nitrogen waterproof and fully rubber armoured to protect against knocks and bumps, the MM4 has a tripod adapter with +/- 90 degree rotation to ensure set-up in a hide or from a sitting/prone position is quick and easy, while the 8:1 dual focusing system ensures the finest accuracy at all magnifications."

Why would they continue to state that description if it isn't true ?...hmmm something to explore I think.
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 21:01   #12
Joe.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana1 View Post
Joe,
Interesting, the MM4 is also listed as nitrogen filled ?

"Nitrogen waterproof and fully rubber armoured to protect against knocks and bumps, the MM4 has a tripod adapter with +/- 90 degree rotation to ensure set-up in a hide or from a sitting/prone position is quick and easy, while the 8:1 dual focusing system ensures the finest accuracy at all magnifications."

Why would they continue to state that description if it isn't true ?...hmmm something to explore I think.
I don't know what 'Nitrogen waterproof' means (marketing speak?).

Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 21:11   #13
Bwana1

Quote:
I don't know what 'Nitrogen waterproof' means (marketing speak?).
It appears I'm confused also, maybe it just means "spray with nitrogen to waterproof" ?

I'm about to buy the mm4 kit, so will have an answer prior to that...maybe someone will chime in with an official answer.

BTW:Appears this portion has been eliminated from the description

Last edited by Bwana1 : Saturday 28th January 2017 at 21:13.
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 14:46   #14
FrankD

I am guessing that quote is a typo. I am sure Pete or Chris could chime in to clarify but am thinking it should read "Nitrogen-purged, waterproof" or "Nitrogen-filled, waterproof".
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 16:25   #15
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Just to clarify:

MM3 is weather-proof but is NOT nitrogen-filled and sealed so if it gets a proper soaking and is left with moisture on it, that can seep into the scope (as seen from the post by Joe.S above).

MM4 is very definitely nitrogen-filled and sealed so therefore waterproof and fog proof.

Sorry there has been confusion over this but hope the statements above clarify the situation.

This change plus an improvement in the optical system to deliver marginally better brightness and sharpness are the reasons for the small increase in SRP.

Stock should be with our UK dealers this weekend with US and European deliveries following shortly after.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 19:08   #16
FrankD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_gamby View Post

Stock should be with our UK dealers this weekend with US and European deliveries following shortly after.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Sweet! Looking forward to it Pete.
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 21:41   #17
mayoayo

Quote:

MM3 is weather-proof but is NOT nitrogen-filled and sealed so if it gets a proper soaking and is left with moisture on it, that can seep into the scope (as seen from the post by Joe.S above).

HTH

Cheers, Pete
This statement would have been very good for marketing the scope when first released..i am sure all those that paid the ,lets say ,not cheap price,are quite happy knowing this at the time of the new release..

Last edited by mayoayo : Monday 30th January 2017 at 21:45.
Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 09:05   #18
Joe.S

Quote:
Just to clarify:

MM4 is very definitely nitrogen-filled and sealed so therefore waterproof and fog proof.

Sorry there has been confusion over this but hope the statements above clarify the situation.

This change plus an improvement in the optical system to deliver marginally better brightness and sharpness are the reasons for the small increase in SRP.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
My scope didn’t get a proper soaking. It was facing into the sun for a few minutes on a cold morning. When it happened I thought it was a no-brainer: 'the seal has gone and Opticron will replace it'. So, imagine my surprise to learn that it wasn’t a sealed and nitrogen-filled scope, then imagine my surprise that Opticron weren’t going to replace it but fix it.

It would like to sell it but I’m a good person and I wouldn’t hide the service history from a potential buyer- who would want to buy it? It’s depreciated down to a piddle and I’m the one that has taken the financial hit. The customer.

Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 10:58   #19
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Quote:
So, imagine my surprise to learn that it wasn’t a sealed and nitrogen-filled scope, then imagine my surprise that Opticron weren’t going to replace it but fix it.
Joe - have justed checked the service record for your scope. I don't know if the information was passed on to you but your scope body was modified to have a sealing hole, was filled with nitrogen and sealed.

Just to put this into some sort of perspective, of the thousands of MM3 scopes we have sold, only one (Joe's) has been returned as a result of fogging up or any other sort of moisture ingress.

HTH

Pete
Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 11:27   #20
Joe.S

Quote:
Joe - have justed checked the service record for your scope. I don't know if the information was passed on to you but your scope body was modified to have a sealing hole, was filled with nitrogen and sealed.

Just to put this into some sort of perspective, of the thousands of MM3 scopes we have sold, only one (Joe's) has been returned as a result of fogging up or any other sort of moisture ingress.

HTH

Pete
Why put my service notes in the public domain? Seeing as you have already done so I will carry on with a reply: Yes, I was aware it had modifications. What do I tell a potential buyer? It has a hole somewhere and itís been filled with nitrogen and sealed which ''hopefully will prevent future misting in the scope'' (to quote your engineer). Iím not sure this instils confidence in a future buyer and helps the resale value?

Thatís good to hear that it was only my scope that fogged-up but itís still no consolation for me that I was the Ďoneí.

If it had known I was the only one I wouldn't have said anything. But, I'm not privy to that information and as far as I know there could be others in the same boat as myself.

Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 11:35   #21
Chris Galvin

As you mentioned boats Joe.S

Birdforum member and birding guide Peter Ericsson who lives in Thailand and guides all over South East Asia has had an MM3 50 ED with HDF zoom since we first launched the product. It is fair to say that his scope gets into a lot of hot and humid jungles, used on dry salt pans, used in wet highland woods and has never once had a problem despite being used hard every day.

You and other subscribers to this forum may be interested to read the one and only 'scrape' he has had whilst using the scope. This text is copied from Peter's Facebook page

A one day shorebirding gave Wayne from South Africa a lot of target birds. Here are his 10 best:
Spoon-billed Sandpiper
Nordmann's Greenshank
Asiatic Dowitcher
Malaysian Plover
White-faced Plover
Long-toed Stint
Chinese Egret
Pallas's Gull
Black-headed Ibis
Painted Stork

Another amazing thing happened. I somehow dropped my Opticron scope in the sea while on a boat ride to the sandspit. The scope stayed floating on the surface for the 20 seconds it took to pick it up.
No damage, no water in the scope. Just had to dry the cover and it was back to normal.

The link to the page is below

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 11:58   #22
Joe.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Galvin View Post
As you mentioned boats Joe.S

Birdforum member and birding guide Peter Ericsson who lives in Thailand and guides all over South East Asia has had an MM3 50 ED with HDF zoom since we first launched the product. It is fair to say that his scope gets into a lot of hot and humid jungles, used on dry salt pans, used in wet highland woods and has never once had a problem despite being used hard every day.

You and other subscribers to this forum may be interested to read the one and only 'scrape' he has had whilst using the scope. This text is copied from Peter's Facebook page

A one day shorebirding gave Wayne from South Africa a lot of target birds. Here are his 10 best:
Spoon-billed Sandpiper
Nordmann's Greenshank
Asiatic Dowitcher
Malaysian Plover
White-faced Plover
Long-toed Stint
Chinese Egret
Pallas's Gull
Black-headed Ibis
Painted Stork

Another amazing thing happened. I somehow dropped my Opticron scope in the sea while on a boat ride to the sandspit. The scope stayed floating on the surface for the 20 seconds it took to pick it up.
No damage, no water in the scope. Just had to dry the cover and it was back to normal.

The link to the page is below

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

He wasn't the 'one'. It takes a special kind of person to be the one and that responsibility falls on my broad shoulders.

Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 12:55   #23
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Why put my service notes in the public domain? Seeing as you have already done so I will carry on with a reply: Yes, I was aware it had modifications. What do I tell a potential buyer? It has a hole somewhere and itís been filled with nitrogen and sealed which ''hopefully will prevent future misting in the scope'' (to quote your engineer). Iím not sure this instils confidence in a future buyer and helps the resale value?

Thatís good to hear that it was only my scope that fogged-up but itís still no consolation for me that I was the Ďoneí.

If it had known I was the only one I wouldn't have said anything. But, I'm not privy to that information and as far as I know there could be others in the same boat as myself.
Your scope is now a celebrity. Opticron seems motivated to follow-up here. I would expect the same going forward.

--AP
Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 13:50   #24
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Quote:
Iím not sure this instils confidence in a future buyer and helps the resale value?
Hi Joe - Your scope was repaired and modified by our service technicians so is covered by the remainder of the 30 year warranty that applied when it was purchased new.

I doubt very much that a warrantied repair would have any effect on the resale value since the remaining warranty is entirely transferrable to the next owner.

Indeed we often have people send us products for a check over so any necessary repairs and/or cleaning etc. can be done prior to re-sale.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 18:26   #25
Joe.S

Quote:
Hi Joe - Your scope was repaired and modified by our service technicians so is covered by the remainder of the 30 year warranty that applied when it was purchased new.

I doubt very much that a warrantied repair would have any effect on the resale value since the remaining warranty is entirely transferrable to the next owner.

Indeed we often have people send us products for a check over so any necessary repairs and/or cleaning etc. can be done prior to re-sale.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Thanks, Pete. That’s some reassurance at least.

I’m less disgruntled now, still not totally convinced, but I hope you can understand why I felt like I was stuck with a lemon.

Anyhow, it's good to know that I'm very much in the minority. They are obviously tough little telescopes and that bodes well for other MM3 scope owners.

Last edited by Joe.S : Wednesday 1st February 2017 at 06:20.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: