Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 17:22   #1
dalat

BTX Binoviewer for ATX scopes

Apparently there is a binoviewer module for the ATX scopes (objective modules) coming. Also a 1.7 extender, to be added beween the objective and ocular modules.

It has a ray divider (right word?) and one prism for each ocular, if I got it right. Magnification is fix, 35x for the ATX 95 and 30x for the smaller ones.

There is an article in a German journal, preview here, scroll until page 27 for the article with pictures.
http://www.voegel-magazin.de/Aktuell...neVorschau.php

Last edited by dalat : Wednesday 1st March 2017 at 17:34.
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 21:24   #2
kabsetz

Dalat,

Thanks for this leak. I guess I must start saving up at least for the extender. Did you manage to figure out whether the extender works with the ATX prism/zoom module also or just with the binoviewer? I assume it would, and cannot see reasons it would not, but would prefer to see it in writing.

The binoviewer could be really nice for stationary viewing, but perhaps less so for the kind of mobile birding many of us do most of the time.

Kimmo
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 21:30   #3
dipped

Thanks for the info. Obviously these are what are being launched on May 1st at Minsmere.
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 21:58   #4
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabsetz View Post
Thanks for this leak. I guess I must start saving up at least for the extender. Did you manage to figure out whether the extender works with the ATX prism/zoom module also or just with the binoviewer? I assume it would, and cannot see reasons it would not, but would prefer to see it in writing.
Hi Kimmo,
not really a leak I think, as it's published in a journal, I guess more info should be available soon elsewhere as well.
Regarding the extender, I assume as well that it should work with the scope alone, but it is not 100 % stated in the text. The caption of the extender image says "fits to the ATX/BTX scope system ".
Interestingly, the text says that one or more extenders can be added to increase magnification.
Regards, Florian
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 08:41   #5
arran

The presumed news was known quite some time ago already without knowing the details
I hope that the already bulky atx 95 will not become unpracticle in the Field.
A zoom would be the best , but still hard to actieve in this kind of systems
Let us see what the impact is on the light transmission if doubling the light
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 09:41   #6
kabsetz

The Kowa 883/4 series extenders can be stacked also, and each one increases the magnification by a further 1.6x. So, for Swaro with a 1.7x extenders, it would be 42.5-102x with one extender and 72-173x with two for the 65 & 85mm objective modules and 51-122x & 87-208x with the 95mm module. The double extender scenario is useful for astronomical observation if one has a very good objective module, whereas a single extender is enough to bring the magnification range into an area where in daylight viewing you can get all the possible detail out of the image.

My preference would have been for a 1.5x extender for 45-108x with the 95mm objective module, but I'm not complaining. I'll get one of these as soon as they are available. Even with the Kowa, with its lower light transmission and smaller objective diameter, the extender works remarkably well, and with my Swaro it will take care of my only remaining complaint with the scope: that it does not reach its full potential with the available magnifications.

The binoviewer module is intriguing, but without having tried one I cannot say how tempted I'll be. The extender will not make the scope too heavy or bulky yet, but the binoviewer might. These have been used in astronomical telescopes for quite some time, and apparently they work quite well. The benefits from getting to use both eyes are said to more than compensate for the loss of light coming to each eye.

Kimmo
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 13:09   #7
jan van daalen

Coming sunday I'll see it in the flesh, so if there are any questions......bring them on and on monday I'll (hopefully) have the answers.

Jan
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 13:29   #8
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by arran View Post

Let us see what the impact is on the light transmission if doubling the light
I think you mean halving the light ie splitting it between two eyepieces.

Lee
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 15:10   #9
henry link

With the 95mm objective module each side of the binoviewer would provide each eye with about the same amount of light as a 67mm scope, but the image would appear somewhat brighter than that when viewed with both eyes. The image ought to look plenty bright at 35X.

Last edited by henry link : Thursday 2nd March 2017 at 15:13.
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 17:32   #10
Vespobuteo

i can't see the issue (don't care for flash plugin by security reasons),
will the extender be of "flip-in" type?
not sure if it's possible but that would be nice...

and the binoviewer is it for a pair of scopes?
that would be brilliant for swaro sales..
could be expensive....

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Thursday 2nd March 2017 at 17:34.
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 20:07   #11
DRodrigues

Great news!...

I also can't read the magazine - Dalat please post print screens of it.

The 1.7x extender is perfect for me and those doing CR-birding! I think I will start selling my astro material after having one...

The binoviewer is a compromise but for general birding is a plus. Hope it will be >80 AFOV, to better compete with the Doctor binocular telescope. Although not zooming, the extender(s) will reduce this limitation.

Jan, photos will be nice, besides more info.

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 21:02   #12
kabsetz

The magazine probably made a mistake in posting a full copy yesterday. Dalat's link worked for me last night, but now it only shows the front page, and when you flip pages you get more front pages. I did not download it, but maybe Dalat did. Anyway, apparently this is news that is supposed to break tomorrow, so with a little bit of patience, we'll all get much more specifics than was available in that magazine article.

The Vogel -article did not have any FOV specs for the binoviewer, nor did it mention weight or price.

Vespo,

The extender goes between the objective module and the prism module, just like a telephoto lens extender goes between its lens and the camera body. So it takes a bit of bayoneting to install and remove.

The binoviewer is to be used with a single objective module, and uses a beam-splitter to apportion half of the light to each eye. Check astro-sites if you want to get an idea how these work. Tele-Vue has made one for years, Denkmeier is another brand that comes to mind, and Baader probably also has one.

For prices we'll have to wait for the announcements, but the BTX has to be more expensive than the regular prism/zoom unit, and my guess about the extender is that it will be in the same ballpark as the Leica extender.

Kimmo
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 22:00   #13
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabsetz View Post
Vespo,

The extender goes between the objective module and the prism module, just like a telephoto lens extender goes between its lens and the camera body. So it takes a bit of bayoneting to install and remove.

Kimmo
I was thinking about something like the built in 1,4x TC in the Canon 200-400mm lens, would make use faster and easier.

http://shuttermuse.com/wp-content/up...0_dancarr1.jpg
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 23:01   #14
pimpelmees

is that all , disappointed, who need a btx , not very pratical for following flying birds i think
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 08:23   #15
Gijs van Ginkel

Vespobuteo, post 10,
The BTX binoviewer is comparable to the binoviewers that in different configurations were made during a lot of decades for microscopes, there you also have a single image coming from the microscope objective and than that image is directed by a beam splitter in the two eyepiece tubes. Interesting to know is what kind of beam splitter Swarovski has chosen.

Gijs van Ginkel
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 08:41   #16
binomania

Hi to all, i will receive a BTX for a test in the next weeks.
My Kowa Highlander Prominar is ready for a comparison. :-)
You can find some photos of this new binoviewer also on my website.

http://www.binomania.it/nuovo-modulo...con-due-occhi/

Kind Regards from Italy
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 09:49   #17
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by binomania View Post
Hi to all, i will receive a BTX for a test in the next weeks.
My Kowa Highlander Prominar is ready for a comparison. :-)
You can find some photos of this new binoviewer also on my website.

http://www.binomania.it/nuovo-modulo...con-due-occhi/

Kind Regards from Italy
Is that also the new Swarovski tripod head?
Looks great. Gitzo?

Jan
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 09:51   #18
arran

Sights of nature will have the primeur to present the btx system on March 25 in their shop in Bruges ,Belgium
They are the biggest Bird Optics dealer in the Benelux and one of the big 3 in Europe
They are present on the well known IWA Fair
RRP prices are communicated
Btx 30x65:€3460
Btx 30x85:€4120
Btx 35x 95 :€4490
Btx ocular module:€2580
ME 1.7x extender :€360
PTH Profi Stativkopf :€604

For the 95 module

Filed of view:32 m
Close focus 5 m
Weight :2760g
Magnification:35x and 60x with module

People who had the occasion to look through were positive about the relaxed way of looking compared with the ATX
Loss of light should not be an issue by splitting up the light
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 10:08   #19
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Vespobuteo, post 10,
The BTX binoviewer is comparable to the binoviewers that in different configurations were made during a lot of decades for microscopes, there you also have a single image coming from the microscope objective and than that image is directed by a beam splitter in the two eyepiece tubes. Interesting to know is what kind of beam splitter Swarovski has chosen.

Gijs van Ginkel
Yes, but the IP adjustment seem to have a bit different mechanics from the ones I have seen before
Weight seem to be quite "acceptable" at 1.4 kg.

But the BTX seem to be a fixed mag EP 30x or 35x (95mm).
I don't think that it will appeal to most birders and digiscopers etc.
(extender is nice but not as convenient as zoom)

Will the "apparent mag" be more than with one eye?
Perhaps some will even be amazed by the 3D effect?

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Friday 3rd March 2017 at 10:14.
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 10:18   #20
kabsetz

Arran,

Thanks for the data. Field of view is not super wide, but reasonable. I assume this is the compromise between weight, price, ergonomics (your nose needs to fit between two eyepieces) and FOV. Price for the BTX module is rather high, but not out of line with the other units in the -TX range. The extender price is quite reasonable, and I would bet quite a few of these will be sold to existing ATX 95 owners, myself included.

The weight for the BTX is also reasonable considering how much is in it. This will be a large scope, but only about the weight and size of a Nikon EDG VR 85 or the Optolyth and Opticron 100 mm scopes. Real binoscopes, such as the Kowa Highlander 82, are over twice the size and weight, and the Kowa is also much more expensive.

It will be very interesting to compare the BTX with the ATX.

Kimmo

Last edited by kabsetz : Friday 3rd March 2017 at 10:19. Reason: typos
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 10:31   #21
Ducksanddogs

I don't know if this is common knowledge so please forgive me if this is duplicate information; but, here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

http://uk.swarovskioptik.com/nature/...spotting_scope
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 10:31   #22
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!

http://swarovs.ki/4gGD
#closer2nature

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 11:13   #23
FrankD

Just saw this on Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9405.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	617244  
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 11:25   #24
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Is that also the new Swarovski tripod head?
Looks great. Gitzo?

Jan
Seems to be inspired from the Wimberley gimbal head,
setup will be perfectly balanced even when the gear gets heavy,
like long telephoto lenses. Perhaps suitable for the BTX + TC + 95mm,
not so much for lighter gear.

https://www.tripodhead.com
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 13:15   #25
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!

BTX FACT SHEET
March 2017 SWAROVSKI OPTIK NA

#CLOSER2NATURE IMMERSE YOURSELF. DISCOVER. ENJOY. • Uses the visual power of both eyes to make the image appear more natural and vivid. • The BTX features an adjustable forehead rest, an angled ocular system and the fact that both eyes can be used for viewing with maximum comfort over long periods • The BTX Modular uses the 95 mm, 85 mm and 65 mm Objectives of the current SWAROVSKI OPTIK ATX/STX Modular system. • The 95 mm objective will be a fixed 35X. The 85 objective a fixed 30X. The 65 objective a fixed 30X. • Features SWAROVISION Technology – Field Flattener and High Definition Lenses: Gives perfect edge to edge clarity, eliminates several kinds of distortion, brings out the highest color contrasts and offers increased eye relief. • The interpupillary distance is adjustable, just like on a binocular. In the case of the BTX the eyepieces operate simultaneously so they remain centered – No need to move away from the forehead rest while adjusting. • The black housing which incorporates the forehead rest, can be removed for cleaning

New Accessories

ME 1.7x magnification extender • This magnifier fits between the ocular and objective modules of the BTX/ATX/STX series. It increases the 30X magnification of the 65 mm and 85 mm objective modules to 50X and the 35X magnification of the 95 mm objective modules to 60X. • If the ME 1.7X is used with the ATX/STX ocular and the 65 mm or 85 mm objectives, the maximum magnification is 100X. • If the ME 1.7X is used with the ATX/STX ocular and the 95 mm objective the maximum magnification is 120X.

BR balance rail • Designed to be compatible with the Arca-Swiss mounting system • Two support points for complete balance and stability

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: