Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 13:16   #26
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!

Cut and paste wouldn't include pictures so it's a bit choppy.

BTX FACT SHEET
March 2017 © SWAROVSKI OPTIK NA

Tripod base for Arca-Swiss system
Current Tripod base until May 2017 BR SSR II PTH   with tripod plate Arca-Swiss system  with tripod plate Arca-Swiss system DH 101  with DH 101 tripod plate

  with DH 101 tripod plate  BR  with collet  SSR II 

BTX Ø 65 Ø 85 Ø 95 Magnification 30x 30x 35x Magnification plus ME 1.7x magnification extender 50x 50x 60x Effective objective lens diameter (mm) 65 85 95 Exit pupil diameter (mm) 2.2 2.9 2.7 Exit pupil distance (mm) 21 21 21 Field of view (ft/1000 yd) 112 112 96 Field of view (degrees) 2.1 2.1 1.8 Field of view for eyeglass wearers (degrees) 2.1 2.1 1.8 Field of view, apparent (degrees) 60 60 60 Shortest focusing distance (ft) 7.2 12.5 16.4 Diopter adjustment left/right ± 4 ± 4 ± 4 Diopter correction at ∞ (dpt) > 5 > 5 > 5 Interpupillary distance (in) 2.2 - 2.9 2.2 - 2.9 2.2 - 2.9 Length of BTX module* / BTX overall approx. (in) 6.9 / 14.6 6.9 / 15.9 6.9 / 18.0 Weight of BTX module / BTX overall (oz) 50.0 / 77.3 50.0 / 88.8 50.0 / 97.3 Objective filter thread M67x0.75 M87x0.75 M97x0.75 Tripod attaching thread 1/4” UNC / 3/8” UNC Special feature SWAROVISION technology Optical coatings: SWAROTOP, SWARODUR, SWAROCLEAN  Submersion tightness in ft: 4 Functional temperature in °F: -13 to +131  Storage temperature in °F: -22 to +158

Warranty SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US and Canadian residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use. All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are warranted for two years from date of purchase.

Last edited by proudpapa56 : Friday 3rd March 2017 at 13:19.

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 14:53   #27
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!

Here are some U.S. prices.
BTX Eyepiece $2690
1.7x Extender $369
PTH Professional Tripod Head $630
new Balance Rail $199

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 14:53   #28
henry link

Thanks for posting that proudpapa. A 60º AFOV (apparently measured) is OK, but a little disappointing. I suppose it's the price paid for the extra prism length added by the beamsplitter and rhomboid prisms. Six pounds doesn't seem too bad to me since I already use a nine pound scope, but many people won't like that, especially combined with a heavier tripod head. Add the hefty prices and I don't expect to see many BTXs in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by henry link : Friday 3rd March 2017 at 20:30.
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 14:55   #29
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

A review - https://birdingbeijing.com
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 15:24   #30
AlanFrench

Several binoviewers have been available for astronomical telescopes for years. I use one and have used it on a small 90mm apochromatic astronomical telescope for birding. The ability to use both eyes is marvelous. It's very comfortable and detail is easier to see. In spite of the beamsplitter and resulting light loss, the view doesn't seem to suffer.

Pretty exciting addition to the Swaro line, IMHO.

Clear skies, Alan
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 16:20   #31
John Cantelo

Surely it should have been called the Swarovski Frankenscope .....

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 17:51   #32
dipped

For anyone wishing to try these new products CleySpy will be the first to have them on Sunday 30th April followed by Minsmere on Monday the 1st May.

Not sure what happened to the originally trumpeted "Swarovski European Launch Tour", but it seems they want to keep it very low key at present.
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 20:22   #33
Grando

It looks amazing, but you clearly need deep pockets to enjoy it!
Old Friday 3rd March 2017, 20:48   #34
DRodrigues

My coments

Binoviewer:
- I used a lot a binoviewer for birding (see http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescope...CR-binoviewing), and I can assure that is another dimension of birding. Those that never tried it, should do it!...
- I would prefer that there were 2 versions: - a BATX and a BSTX... As there is only the BTX I wish great success to Swarosvki and hope than in the future there will exist both versions and with zoom...
- The BTX AFOV might be similar to the Kowa Highlander (both producers seem to use different ways of measuring the AFOVs), but will be too distant from the Docter... Using both eyes induce less dependence of AFOVs (we seem to view larger AFOVs, besides the pseudo-3D effect...), but the "WOW" factor of the Docter should be higher. The BTX wins in all practical details.

Extender:
- Will have one as soon as possible!...
- Perfect for my needs and will transform the X95 on the ultimate cr-birding telescope. Will compare it to the Optolyth 100 with the Baader zoom and a 1.6x barlow (see http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescope...1.6x_magnifier and http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescope..._cr-telescopes);
- I understand that normal birders would prefer smaller increase factor but most will be surprised with the views at 120x!...

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 13:53   #35
kabsetz

A link to a first-user report from Swarovski's February secret product launch event. With more pictures of the BTX in use.

https://birdingbeijing.com

Kimmo
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 14:51   #36
Pileatus

I remember being told 65mm was more than enough. Then, truly, all birders needed 400X magnification for terrestrial use (yes, 400X is hyperbole) which meant an objective near 100mm. Of course, light weight was important so lighter tripods were introduced. But, the bigGER scope meant a BIGger tripod. Now we're told to go back to a narrow fixed 30X view and learn to enjoy what we've been missing all these years. I know, you can get 35X but that requires the BIG body, a better tripod and a rail system. And, silly me, one can MAGnify the view with a nifty extender. Wow, that's all the way back to 60X on the 95mm body! This is simply fantastic!

Next new thing...rebirth of the porro!
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 19:57   #37
John Cantelo

I surprised that nobody has raised the obvious, if naive, question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 20:56   #38
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I surprised that nobody has raised the obvious, if naive, question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...
It would work quite well and is in fact the more useful solution to the problem than the Photoscope approach that Zeiss offered a while back.
Zeiss had the expensive beam splitter and then integrated an expensive, but immediately obsolete 7 mega pixel camera into the scope.
Swaro leaves the camera decisions up to you. I think they will be handsomely rewarded for their intelligent design choices.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 21:09   #39
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
It would work quite well and is in fact the more useful solution to the problem than the Photoscope approach that Zeiss offered a while back.
Zeiss had the expensive beam splitter and then integrated an expensive, but immediately obsolete 7 mega pixel camera into the scope.
Swaro leaves the camera decisions up to you. I think they will be handsomely rewarded for their intelligent design choices.
Thanks. I was just a bit surprised that none of the technologically savvy people here had raised the issue or, come to that, Swarovski weren't offering a purpose made adaptor

Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 21:44   #40
dalat

Quote:
question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...
Good question! Possibly it works with a smartphone, but I think that a camera with adapter attached to one ocular would be too bulky to allow viewing through the other ocular.
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 21:55   #41
dalat

Blog posts by those on the presentation tour start to appear. The most review-like I've seen so far is this one: http://www.10000birds.com/the-new-sw...ing-scopes.htm
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 22:34   #42
Vespobuteo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxMTCx1mmSA

Nice video shows the BTX in the field, and the release party in Austria.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Saturday 4th March 2017 at 22:44.
Old Saturday 4th March 2017, 23:10   #43
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Nice video shows the BTX in the field, and the release party in Austria.
Thanks, nice! The lake-side scenes are on my favorite birding site
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 12:21   #44
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arran View Post
Sights of nature will have the primeur to present the btx system on March 25 in their shop in Bruges ,Belgium
They are the biggest Bird Optics dealer in the Benelux and one of the big 3 in Europe
They are present on the well known IWA Fair
RRP prices are communicated
Btx 30x65:€3460
Btx 30x85:€4120
Btx 35x 95 :€4490
Btx ocular module:€2580
ME 1.7x extender :€360
PTH Profi Stativkopf :€604

For the 95 module

Filed of view:32 m
Close focus 5 m
Weight :2760g
Magnification:35x and 60x with module

People who had the occasion to look through were positive about the relaxed way of looking compared with the ATX
Loss of light should not be an issue by splitting up the light
Hi Arran,

The primeur, mmmm...

This made me ask Swarovski on the IWA if this was correct since the offical Primeur is in England.
Don't know if you (still) work for Sights of Nature, but reality learned me that the Belgium Swarovski rep is showing all the Swarovski dealers in Belgium the BTX and on the 25th of March it will be shown to the shop in Brugge, so you may call this the primeur on BF for the Kite store in Brugge

Seen and tested the BTX on the IWA yesterday and I can only confirm what the posted links from those who were present at the Press launch in Schaffhausen in February are telling us.
It is brilliant, razor sharp from edge to edge and I can't see any light loss.
The extender works great on both the BTX as on the ATX.

Jan

Last edited by jan van daalen : Monday 6th March 2017 at 12:27.
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 12:39   #45
In Focus

Quote:
We were told that the eyecups are the same as on the EL 32mm binocular so the existing Swarovski iPhone adapters should work.
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 13:46   #46
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Hi Arran,

The primeur, mmmm...

This made me ask Swarovski on the IWA if this was correct since the offical Primeur is in England.
Don't know if you (still) work for Sights of Nature, but reality learned me that the Belgium Swarovski rep is showing all the Swarovski dealers in Belgium the BTX and on the 25th of March it will be shown to the shop in Brugge, so you may call this the primeur on BF for the Kite store in Brugge

Seen and tested the BTX on the IWA yesterday and I can only confirm what the posted links from those who were present at the Press launch in Schaffhausen in February are telling us.
It is brilliant, razor sharp from edge to edge and I can't see any light loss.
The extender works great on both the BTX as on the ATX.

Jan
Jan,
Which objective/mag did you evaluate?
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 13:57   #47
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Jan,
Which objective/mag did you evaluate?
P,

It was crowded but I managed to work out all three of them. The 85 from a balcony and the 95 from the ground floor.
As said before by others, the 85 works best because of the excellent DOF.
The 95 needs quicker focussing, but goes to 35x which produces the same brightness as the 85 (don't see any reason to take the 65) at 30. The only downside is the shorter DOF of the 95 aspecially with the extender.

Jan
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 15:54   #48
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by arran View Post
Sights of nature will have the primeur to present the btx system on March 25 in their shop in Bruges ,Belgium
They are the biggest Bird Optics dealer in the Benelux and one of the big 3 in Europe
They are present on the well known IWA Fair
RRP prices are communicated
Btx 30x65:€3460
Btx 30x85:€4120
Btx 35x 95 :€4490
Btx ocular module:€2580
ME 1.7x extender :€360
PTH Profi Stativkopf :€604

For the 95 module

Filed of view:32 m
Close focus 5 m
Weight :2760g
Magnification:35x and 60x with module

People who had the occasion to look through were positive about the relaxed way of looking compared with the ATX
Loss of light should not be an issue by splitting up the light
Hi Gunther

Will Swarovski make a stay-on case available for this?

Lee
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 16:27   #49
henry link

Thought I remembered seeing an earlier effort at a binoviewer/spotting scope. A little Googling turned up this from 2008.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...potting-scope/
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 16:49   #50
FrankD

Help me out here Henry. I remember reading a bit about binoviewers some years ago but whatever I gained from those readings is now lost. I know there are a few binoviewers available in the astronomy market. Why again won't they work on some spotting scopes? I am sure for many it is a connection issue but for the others I seem to remember something about not being able to reach infinity focus or something similar?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: