Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 15th March 2017, 04:27   #1
jason835

New to Digiscoping - Need adapter assistance

Hello,

I've been researching digiscoping a bit, and I'm concerned about buying the correct items.

First things first....I already own a Nikon D3200 camera.

I do not own a spotting scope yet. The main purpose of the scope will be for hunting, but in the off season, I would like to attach my D3200 to it and take pictures of wildlife. My budget for a scope is around $700-ish.

I really like Nikon products, so I was leaning towards a Nikon ProStaff 5 20-60x82mm scope (straight, not angled). Now....I'm not set on buying a Nikon. I've also looked at the Celestron 52305 Regal M2 80ED. If I get the Celestron, I believe I can get all the adapters I would need to connect my D3200. But....I was trying to figure out how to connect my D3200 to the ProStaff 5.

And that's my question. How would I connect my D3200 to a ProStaff 5 scope? I don't want to spend $500 on the adapter.

Thanks!
Jason
Old Sunday 7th May 2017, 01:52   #2
lmans66

I would look at light transmission and take that into account when purchasing a scope.... Look not only at the quality of the scope but also the eyepiece and yes, the more money spent, the more light.

I am a Swarovski guy so can only speak to figures I know that are reasonably accurate with a Swaro. As an example, the light transmission of the new Swaro ATX modular scope is around 91%. The Swaro 80mm ATS is around 87% (with the 25-50 eyepiece), while the Swaro ATM is around 82-83 % (with the 20-60 eyepiece). The human eye can discern a difference of 3% or more, so when I moved from the ATM to the ATS, it was measurable. When I look at the Meopta S2 80mm, light transmission is 89%, so my eyes don't discern that coming from the ATS. But if I look thru the ATX, I see a difference in light once more.

The reason I say this is that light is so important when digiscoping...the camera and the adapter are in there too, as well as your skill, but you have to start with the scope and work backwards. So get the largest most expensive scope you want to afford and use that as your starting place.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 22:08   #3
albatross02

Did You check possibility for mobile, and adapter order via thingiverse part ?

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...3592ddf288df4c

Best regards
Dieter
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: