Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 12:01   #1
bubobubo

what species of owl

hello everyone,

someone came for help as they found a young owlet. i have to say i dont know what this species is can anyone tell me?

http://forum.owlpages.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=425

cheers
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 12:12   #2
Joern Lehmhus

no Idea, at least it doesn´t seem to be something european...
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 12:18   #3
bubobubo

i agree my first thoughts were a madagascar scops (otus rutilis)?? possible? i just have no idea
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 14:30   #4
TWM

Where it was found and what size it is would be more than useful!
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 15:33   #5
cuckooroller

Bubo,
Where was it found? I called up Vasant's profile and no help there. Size? It looks larger than some type of Asian (or African) Glaucidium but the markings look more like Glaucidium than Otus to me and maybe the photo is tricking us into thinking it is larger.
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 17:02   #6
JANJ

Glaucidium sp. was first impression, then blank, then Collared Owlet (Glaucidium brodiei), but maybe to small? Then Jungle Owlet (Glaucidium radiatum), little bigger than brodiei, but plumage wise they both look good. I suppose you dont mean that it was found in Belgium?
JanJ
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 17:13   #7
StevieEvans
Forum Member

WHY Does it appear to in some form of a BOX......!! ??

"...Found..." "....which has probably not grown up yet..."

Appears that its yet another "orphan" thats been "saved" & destined to live in someones shed at home.

Dont encourage him Bubo.....
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 17:44   #8
cuckooroller

"Send me anything at all on Owls, Except recipes....."

Stevie,

I agree especially if someone will send me a photo of Jubula lettii!! Lacking less than 30 species of Owls by now in photos including Tytonidae.
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:26   #9
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Already established, but I certainly agree: Without doubt a Glaucidium sp. Quite certainly one of the Old World species from this genus and I'm guessing one of the two species suggested by JanJ are the most likely candidates. As others said, locality would help...
BF Supporter 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:47   #10
HouseCrow

"Latest is he was lying near the base of the tree. Maybe he fell or scrambled down, I'm not sure. Sorry for not telling you earlier, the location is Kanpur 26 27' N & 80 24' E , Country India. Do " (post by Vasant in forum)

So no escape in Belgium,
good luck figuring out what it is.

cheers,
HouseCrow
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 19:16   #11
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Three Glaucidium (incl. the two mentioned by JanJ) occur at or relatively near that locality: Asian Barred Owlet (G. cuculoides), Collared Owlet (G. brodiei) and Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum). Of these the Collared Owlet would be relatively easy to ID/exclude as it is the only of the three with distinct and rather large black "fake eye" markings on the nape. My tentative guess would be Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum) due to the extent of the barring below and the relatively bright barring on the flight-feathers. This is also the most likely possibility, as the other two are associated with the Himalayas in this part of the World.
BF Supporter 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 21st May 2005, 19:22   #12
JANJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Boegh
Three Glaucidium (incl. the two mentioned by JanJ) occur at or relatively near that locality: Asian Barred Owlet (G. cuculoides), Collared Owlet (G. brodiei) and Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum). Of these the Collared Owlet would be relatively easy to ID/exclude as it is the only of the three with distinct and rather large black "fake eye" markings on the nape. My tentative guess would be Jungle Owlet (G. radiatum) due to the extent of the barring below and the relatively bright barring on the flight-feathers. This is also the most likely possibility, as the other two are associated with the Himalayas in this part of the World.
Agree!
JanJ
Old Sunday 22nd May 2005, 09:09   #13
bubobubo

Hello everyone

i'm sorry for not replying earlier. I would just like to thank you for your help in id'ying the owlet. I couldnt offer any more information that i already gave. I also pulled up his profile but nothing was said about location until later during the day as you may have noticed.

I try very hard to help peeps understand that wild owls are just that and should stay that way but the amount of help calls is quite alarming. Thanks once again to the great members of this great site i was well stumped on this species. My initial thought was a sort of little owl so i dont really know why i looked up the otus species

thank you once again and lets hope this owl will remain in the wild!!

bubobubo
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: