• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in Estonia at early June? (1 Viewer)

Warixenjalka

Birdwitcher
Finland
Me and couple fellow-birders planing long weekend trip to Estonia in early June. Is the Matsalu laht the place to go or what you recommend?

It depends a bit what you want to see. I guess coming from Finland you might have different priorities than birders coming from western Europe. My general experience of Estonia (including in June) is that it's very good for birds almost everywhere.

The Tartu area is worth a visit and you should find species there that are less common in Finland e.g. Black Stork, Lesser-spotted Eagle, Middle-spotted Woodpecker, Savi's Warbler, Penduline Tit, Citrine Wagtail, Marsh Sandpiper etc. Ilmatsalu Fishponds is a great area in June. There's also the Great Snipe lek nearby, which should still be on the go in June. Probably a combination of that area and the coast would produce the most birds and maybe the most stuff that you don't normally see in Finland.

Last edited:
Only two whole days to birding is too less for coast and Tartu area. Great Snipe, Black Stork and Spotted Eagles sounds very good anyway...

Anyone recommend coast over Tartu?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back