Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 1st July 2017, 18:22   #26
Binastro

The Amateur Photographer for next Tuesday in the bookshops, is devoted to Nikon's 100th birthday.

The point is made that Nikon started out as a rangefinder and binocular maker for the Navy.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 20:04   #27
Sollas

Does anyone know how these compare with the Swarovski habicht 8x30. Seems comparable in style and price.
I currently have 8x32 SE and curious how they compare in clarity and brightness?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 21:33   #28
MFoortjes

The Swarovski Habicht 8x30 is significantly brighter and also a bit sharper than the Nikon 8x30 EII. The focussing wheel on the Habicht is a little bit too stiff for my taste, but that's the price one have to pay cause of the waterproofness. BUT the Nikon only costs 2/3 or sometimes even 1/2 of the Swarovski and that's a real bargain IMHO.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 22:43   #29
Paskman

Much prefer the Nikon to the Habicht. Not only is it cheaper, but the eye relief is better and the eye cups much less stiff. The Nikon has a wider field of view. I could not discern a difference in the sharpness, although it tapers at the edges, . The main advantage of the Habicht, is that it is waterproof and the name! I suspect that like all binoculars, you need to try them to see which suits.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 13:08   #30
jring

Hi,

I also preferred my E2 8x30 to the two Habicht 8x30 examples I tried - my main gripe with the Habicht was the glare and reflection problems which were quite apparent on both occasions. If you want the bins with the highest transmission, Habicht it is, but the E2 or SE are better all around.

I can't directly compare E2 and SE in 8x30 since my SE is 10x42 and I haven't encountered s.b. with an SE 8x32 yet... but let's say the SE is a tad sharper and of course has a flat field (and more ER which I don't need) while the E2 impresses with its super wide field.

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Thursday 6th July 2017 at 19:27.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 15:05   #31
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollas View Post
Does anyone know how these compare with the Swarovski habicht 8x30. Seems comparable in style and price.
I currently have 8x32 SE and curious how they compare in clarity and brightness?

Any advice would be appreciated.
It's about overall observable quality. I tested the Habicht and would never surrender my 8X32 SE in its favor. Glare, low eye relief and a stiff focus do not suit me in a birding binocular.

The bad thing about the SE is it's not fully waterproof.
The good thing about the SE not being waterproof is you can justify the purchase of a second alpha class binocular!
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 21:42   #32
Sollas

I do think these special edition EII's are quite a beautiful thing. Tradition and quality all parcelled up in a nice package which puts much of the modern day roofs to shame. What's not to like.
When it comes to Porros Nikon do reign supreme.
Overpriced......you get what you pay for.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 22:54   #33
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollas View Post
I do think these special edition EII's are quite a beautiful thing. Tradition and quality all parcelled up in a nice package which puts much of the modern day roofs to shame. What's not to like.
When it comes to Porros Nikon do reign supreme.
Overpriced......you get what you pay for.
List is $799.
You can get one without the logo for $519 on AMZN. They should have done this with 8X32 SE but what do I know.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 23:57   #34
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
List is $799.
You can get one without the logo for $519 on AMZN. They should have done this with 8X32 SE but what do I know.

They would have had to set up the re-tooling for the retired SEs for only 400 of them. Easier to just put a logo on the E IIs.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th July 2017, 19:34   #35
Binastro

I suppose some bright spark will make and add fake logos to some EIIs.

Reminds me of 'Catch me if you Can' and soaking model aircraft in the bath to get the logos.
Old Monday 10th July 2017, 20:49   #36
Sollas

Where's the romance
Old Tuesday 11th July 2017, 00:14   #37
ceasar

Nikon Begins Accepting Orders For Nikon 100th Anniversary Products

June 15, 2017

Information from the 100th Year Anniversary Site says that: Orders will be accepted through August 31, 2017. (Except for the binoculars.)

"*100th Anniversary binoculars will be sold until June 2018. However, should the number of orders exceed the planned quantity before that time, they will no longer be available."

http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/0615_anniversary_01.htm

Scroll down to the binoculars.

Last edited by ceasar : Tuesday 11th July 2017 at 00:23.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: