Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 7th May 2017, 05:47   #1
safaridreaming

swapping out eyepieces on the Swaro ATS 80

I recently got my 30x fixed FL eyepiece and have been going back and forth between this and my 25-50x eyepiece on the Swaro spotter.

On the 25-50x, there is no place to grip the eyepiece when disconnecting it from the body of the scope - you have to rotate the zoom barrel all the way to one end then continue gripping this barrel to twist the eyepiece to disconnect from the scope (with the locking tab pressed ofcourse).

Same with reconnecting it and locking it - you have to rotate the zoom barrel the other way to the end of its range then continue twisting the eyepiece beyond this range to lock it in place...

I wanted to know if this detrimentally impacts the eyepiece at all? Is there a chance of damaging the rotating barrel by continuing to twist is beyond its range to lock/unlock the eyepiece from the scope?

Ideally I'd like to keep the one eyepiece in place all the time but i find the 30x really comfortable to view through, however when i'm sea-viewing I prefer the additional reach a zoom lens provides.

cheers
Jeelan
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 15:25   #2
Fedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridreaming View Post
I recently got my 30x fixed FL eyepiece and have been going back and forth between this and my 25-50x eyepiece on the Swaro spotter.

On the 25-50x, there is no place to grip the eyepiece when disconnecting it from the body of the scope - you have to rotate the zoom barrel all the way to one end then continue gripping this barrel to twist the eyepiece to disconnect from the scope (with the locking tab pressed ofcourse).

Same with reconnecting it and locking it - you have to rotate the zoom barrel the other way to the end of its range then continue twisting the eyepiece beyond this range to lock it in place...

I wanted to know if this detrimentally impacts the eyepiece at all? Is there a chance of damaging the rotating barrel by continuing to twist is beyond its range to lock/unlock the eyepiece from the scope?
I never heard it to be an issue, and given the quality and cost of the scope I would be surprised the scope and the eyepieces were not designed to take it *forever*.
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 14:43   #3
henrythedog

Hey safaridreamin, I purchased the 30sw for my 65 and havn't put the 20-60 back on since. What's you're feeling of the 25-50 vs the 30sw. I can't help but think that the wide zoom would be the end all eyepiece. But then again, maybe its the 30!!!
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 13:54   #4
safaridreaming

hey mate

Each time i've used both, whilst I've found the 30x eyepiece more comfortable for eye placement etc, I've found the 25-50x a tad sharper at all zoom levels.

Comparatively, to me the 30x just doesn't deliver the same type of image so from an image quality perspective i find myself favouring the 25-50x.

That being said i've just sold my Swaro scope so the choice between the two will be someone else :-)

cheers
Jeelan
Binoculars: Swarovski EL 8x32 SV | Swarovki EL 10x32 SV | Bushnell Elite 8x43
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: