Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 25th May 2005, 04:27   #1
Zolarcon

Swainson's Warbler/ Sibley?

Hi BF,

Looked at Sibley's Swainson's Warbler- I dont think the Swainson's really looks right in Sibley's book... At least the few I've seen don't look that light and clean. And yes I've heard it call and know it was a Swainson's.

Not that Sibley's illustration isn't wonderful, but the bird seems light and the cap on the bird looks really red. Is it a reproduction error in Sibley's Birds of NA?

Am I getting close?

Thank you for any comments,
Carlos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swainsons-3-.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	21775  
Old Saturday 28th May 2005, 04:53   #2
shelley810

Remember, you are comparing your drawing to another interpretive drawing. I personally think you have captured a better visual description of the Swainson's, closer to what one would see in life. Keep in mind Sibley's are accurate drawings to
depict the identifying characteristics of a species, not ment to be a 'drawn photograph', so it makes no sense now to continue to compare yours with his....you know what the characteristics are, you see the birds in life and perhaps have taken photos... you now have created your own accurate rendition of the Swainson's Warbler.
Your drawing, thus far, is well executed.
shelley
Old Saturday 28th May 2005, 21:26   #3
Zolarcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley810
Remember, you are comparing your drawing to another interpretive drawing. I personally think you have captured a better visual description of the Swainson's, closer to what one would see in life. Keep in mind Sibley's are accurate drawings to
depict the identifying characteristics of a species, not ment to be a 'drawn photograph', so it makes no sense now to continue to compare yours with his....you know what the characteristics are, you see the birds in life and perhaps have taken photos... you now have created your own accurate rendition of the Swainson's Warbler.
Your drawing, thus far, is well executed.
shelley
Hi Shelley,

I was asking about a possible reprint error in Sibley's Guide NA Book that is all. I was also asking if others thought the bird I had drawn was close to the real life bird, maybe other regions had variations on the bird color. I believe color is a big part to identifying the bird.

I was not comparing myself to Sibley. Sibley is a master at what he does.

Carlos

Last edited by Zolarcon : Saturday 28th May 2005 at 21:29.
Old Sunday 29th May 2005, 00:54   #4
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley810
Sibley's are accurate drawings to
depict the identifying characteristics of a species, not ment to be a 'drawn photograph'
But they are intended to depict how the bird looks and the importance that Sibley attaches to his illustrations is apparent from the corrections on his website:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/sibley_guide_other.htm.

I notice he doesn't express any dissatisfaction with his Swainson's Warbler. I've never seen the species, but I must admit that the impression I'd got from photos I've seen is that it's a duller bird, so I was interested to see Carlos's post.
Sorrow's best friend and Mirth's professed foe
The chief discourser that delights sad Care.
O come, poor owl, and tell thy woes to me.
Which having heard, I'll do the like for thee.

(Anon c.1607)

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: