Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 04:28   #1
flossiepip

Long lense for EOS M5!

Hi,
My Olympus E-M5 has just stopped on me and I am looking at the M5 but rather confused over lenses! With the E-M5 my 300 lens gives me a focal length of 600 I believe, so can anyone tell me what canon lens would give me that reach on the M5? I don't think there is an M lens but I understand with a canon adapter EF and EF-S lenses can be used!
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 17:57   #2
Malcolm Stewart

The Canon Eos M5 has a Canon APS-c sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x, so if you want a reach of 600mm, you'll need a 400mm lens, with a 640mm reach. Canon offer several lenses at this focal length, from the EF 400mm F/5.6L to the heavyweights with an F/2.8 aperture, or there's the 400mm DO with an F/4 aperture.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 09:16   #3
Robert_Scanlon

Only a 600mm lens will give you a focal length of 600mm.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 12:39   #4
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossiepip View Post
Hi,
My Olympus E-M5 has just stopped on me and I am looking at the M5 but rather confused over lenses! With the E-M5 my 300 lens gives me a focal length of 600 I believe, so can anyone tell me what canon lens would give me that reach on the M5? I don't think there is an M lens but I understand with a canon adapter EF and EF-S lenses can be used!

The above post is correct but i took it you are talking field of view,so as was already stated you will need about a 400mm lens to give you the 600mm FOV.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 20:13   #5
flossiepip

Sorry for a confusing post I sm the least technology minded person who holds a camera, I just point, twist and press and marvel if it all works! I was just of the believe that is was the sixe of the sensor in the camera that dictates that reach of the lens's so I've always felt that with my EM5 I got twice the reach as against a full sized sensor and that was why a compact super zoom camera with a tiny sensor could zoom out so far. As I say I have no technical knowledge and apologise for a confused question.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 22:47   #6
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossiepip View Post
Sorry for a confusing post I sm the least technology minded person who holds a camera, I just point, twist and press and marvel if it all works! I was just of the believe that is was the sixe of the sensor in the camera that dictates that reach of the lens's so I've always felt that with my EM5 I got twice the reach as against a full sized sensor and that was why a compact super zoom camera with a tiny sensor could zoom out so far. As I say I have no technical knowledge and apologise for a confused question.
You are quite correct, the Olympus EM5 uses a sensor that is half the size of a full frame, so a 300mm lens will be comparable to the 600mm full frame lens in reach.
Confusion arises because the Canon EOS M5 uses a larger sensor, so the reach is not doubled, but only about 50% more. That is why Malcolm Stewart was suggesting a 400mm Canon lens to get the 600mm reach equivalent you had with your Olympus.
Hope this helps, the camera producers have about as murky a set of product names and component conventions as the toothpaste industry.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th July 2017, 07:34   #7
Robert_Scanlon

Sorry to be a pedant, but sensor size has nothing to do with reach of a lens, only the proportion of the image that is used.

The higher pixel density on smaller sensors compared to some full frame sensors can lead to this illusion of better reach.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: