Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 09:28   #1
Gladiator96

Very loose eyecup

The binocular in question is a Monarch 5 10x42.

I recently noticed that a cylindrical piece of rubber fell out of one of the eyecups while extending it. Following this, the eyecup mechanism has become extremely loose. This is annoying since I use them fully extended.

Anyone had similar issues? Any tips on how best to proceed to fix the issues?
Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 11:26   #2
Hauksen

Hi Gladiator,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator96 View Post
The binocular in question is a Monarch 5 10x42.

I recently noticed that a cylindrical piece of rubber fell out of one of the eyecups while extending it. Following this, the eyecup mechanism has become extremely loose.
I've had similar problems with a Nikon 8x30 and my Nikon ED50 spotting scope.

I presume the cylindrical piece got lost in the field? If the Monarch is like the other Nikon scopes, it probably was a tiny screw.

On the 8x30 and the ED50, one cal peel off the rubber ring of the eyecup to reveal the slotted hard-plastic twist-up ring beneath. It's held in place by two tiny screws, and if one is missing, the eyecup will be loose (and might come off, possibly breaking in the act) just in the way you describe.

The screw sizes are different on the two eyecups I examined, and non-standard. I wasn't able to find a replacement for the ED50 screw (the 8x30 caught the screw beneath the rubber ring), but I didn't actually try Nikon (because they don't supply spares, but require the scope to be turned in to their repair service).

I fixed the problem somewhat unconventionally with a 3D-printed twist-up ring that works well with one screw only.

Regards,

Henning
Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 12:04   #3
andyadcock

My Swarovski's started to suffer with a rubber cup that kept dropping off the extendable eye piece. I wrote an e-mail, they asked for the serial number and a few days later, two, screw in, replacement eye pieces arrived in the mail.

A
Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 19:16   #4
Gladiator96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi Gladiator,

I've had similar problems with a Nikon 8x30 and my Nikon ED50 spotting scope.

I presume the cylindrical piece got lost in the field? If the Monarch is like the other Nikon scopes, it probably was a tiny screw.

On the 8x30 and the ED50, one cal peel off the rubber ring of the eyecup to reveal the slotted hard-plastic twist-up ring beneath. It's held in place by two tiny screws, and if one is missing, the eyecup will be loose (and might come off, possibly breaking in the act) just in the way you describe.

The screw sizes are different on the two eyecups I examined, and non-standard. I wasn't able to find a replacement for the ED50 screw (the 8x30 caught the screw beneath the rubber ring), but I didn't actually try Nikon (because they don't supply spares, but require the scope to be turned in to their repair service).

I fixed the problem somewhat unconventionally with a 3D-printed twist-up ring that works well with one screw only.

Regards,

Henning
Hi.

The piece that fell was an elastic piece of rubber not a screw. Both screws are still there.
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 23:08   #5
bartd

bino

I suggest giving Nikon a call to see what they can do to help you before sending them back in for repair.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/contact-us.page
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: