Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 8th August 2017, 21:06   #26
timbo2410

I've used my Nikon D7100 and D500 with my Nikon 300mm f2.8 vrii, Nikon 600mm and Sigma 150-600 sport. I also use 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 teleconverters with them all. My brother (a devout canon user) came to visit and used my gear .. he went home, sold his canon equipment and went Nikon .. he is a far better photographer than me and his words were along the lines of .. "should have done it sooner" ...
I too looked at the 200-500 but decided to got the Sigma 150-600 sport route and have not been disappointed. I know it's heavy but you do get used to it (or use a monopod). It's also weather sealed and is a beast. If you do go Sigma though .. get the dock and calibrate your lens for the best results .. I thought mine was ok but the difference after calibration was phenomenal ... or you can send it off to Sigma and have it calibrated by them ..
Old Wednesday 9th August 2017, 14:45   #27
kuzeycem
Turkish Birder

Sorry for my late response once again, I lost this thread :)
Last Friday I went to the dealership with 200-500 on my mind. As I was buying it the salesman asked if I had considered Sigma Sports and said it was sharper than the Nikkor. So we decided to test both on a D500 body. I couldn't shoot any pics as there were no full batteries in the camera but I held and played with them for a while. I actually wanted to rent both to test each of them but they didn't allow that, however they did allow for an exchange within a week if I didn't like my lens.
Long story short I walked out with the 200-500 :) Both seemes quite heavy after my Canon prime 400mm but Sigma was still noticeably heavier. Also it was much longer on the long end and the center of gravity shifted toward the end of the lens making it even tougher to carry.
I am overall quite happy with the 200-500. The sharpness is no worse than 400mm 5.6 and AF tracking is well either. One problem is that it is a bit slow, at least compared to the 400mm, when focusing from infinity to a closer subject or vice versa. But I don't think I will do that action a lot while photographing birds :)
I found it adequate for BIF too. The longer end of 500mm makes it a bit challenging to find the bird in your viewfinder but once you get the bird the tracking is very good even through leaves and branches.

Anyways, I'm quite happy with the lens. The D500 is just a killer too!
Old Wednesday 9th August 2017, 15:44   #28
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Kuzey, good stuff!

Let us know how it goes. What's the focus limiting range on the 200-500? Does this help? And how does the AF track during a burst of a second or two at full whack? Any slowing?

How do you find the handling balance fully extended?

And could you do some shooting in 1.3x crop mode, and also the cropped video? Do you have a 1.4xTC to try in concert? (ie. @f8)?

I Would be interested in how you find your setup .......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th August 2017, 16:18   #29
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzeycem View Post
I am overall quite happy with the 200-500. The sharpness is no worse than 400mm 5.6 and AF tracking is well either. One problem is that it is a bit slow, at least compared to the 400mm, when focusing from infinity to a closer subject or vice versa. But I don't think I will do that action a lot while photographing birds :)
I found it adequate for BIF too. The longer end of 500mm makes it a bit challenging to find the bird in your viewfinder but once you get the bird the tracking is very good even through leaves and branches.

Anyways, I'm quite happy with the lens. The D500 is just a killer too!
Focus limiter set to infinity-6m will probably help you a bit, if possible, the limit can be annoying in some cases of course.

The close focus distance is 2.2 meters for the 200-500mm compared to the canon 400mm that is more like 3.5 m so the possible range for hunting is longer...
Old Monday 21st August 2017, 15:31   #30
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Here is a nice field review video you may or may not have seen of the Nikon D500 + 200-500 f5.6 photographing birds in flight with Ronan Donovan
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RoPl_jiHxvQ

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st August 2017, 21:33   #31
johnf3f
johnf3f

Happy new toy - hope you enjoy!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: