Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 17:29   #1
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Post New Canon IS Models

FYI, from Canon's USA Blog announcement HERE !?!

Ted
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 17:39   #2
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

Links to the new models:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...ars/10-x-32-is
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...ars/12-x-32-is
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...ars/14-x-32-is

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 18:00   #3
pbjosh

Interesting. The IS technology in Canon lens has really improved over time, a newer lens has about 4 stops of IS efficacy which is pretty stunning. Close focus looks decent, and weight looks manageable, but the field of view is perhaps mediocre and they appear to not be weather sealed, unless I'm missing something? Awesome to see new IS bins but I guess just a bummer they're not L series.
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 18:16   #4
BruceH

Thanks Ted.

It is good to know that Canon is still actively involved in the sports optics market.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 19:03   #5
Binastro

Thanks for links.
Looked at 10x32.
A lot of glass elements.
It seems to use the 8x25 IS stabilizer rather than the prism system.

Nikon? make 32mm IS binos?

An 8x25 IS from 2014 is excellent. The 2016 sample is very poor, probably a lemon.
An earlier one is a different IS, maybe prism shift.

I suppose the lens shift method is cheaper to make.
It seems to be limited to 32mm.
Probably used in Canon lenses?

Pleased not CR123A batteries. Expensive in the field or abroad.

Does one have to press the d-mn button down to make it work, or does it lock for 5 minutes?

Do they do a special price for a set of three?
I'd probably get the 14x32.

When do we get a Canon IS scope?

I hope the front rubber rings don't fall off as happens with the 8x25 IS.

P.S.
All +/-1.0 deg correction angle.
55mm IPD minimum useful for some, especially ladies and younger folk.
Still only 3 dioptre correction. Not enough for some.
Not very lightweight.

8x25 IS 490g
10x30 IS II 600g

12x32 IS 780g

Those front rubber rings look too thin, unless they extend under the rubber body cover or have better grip than on the 8x25 IS.
I hope that the front optical windows don't fall out.
The MRP is too high for me to consider early purchase, unless the shop price is less.

Last edited by Binastro : Wednesday 2nd August 2017 at 19:30.
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 19:16   #6
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
FYI, from Canon's USA Blog announcement HERE !?!

Ted
Thanks for the news.

Well, well, well who would have thought it?

After the upgrades to the 10x30 and 12x36 was anybody expecting these?

The close focus is very welcome but the main innovation seems to be the Powered IS. Now two IS buttons to chose from, powered for static and normal for moving objects.

Wonder if they'll have these at the Birdfair. If anyone goes and gets a chance to try them feedback would be very welcome.
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 21:21   #7
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Does one have to press the d-mn button down to make it work, or does it lock for 5 minutes?
Just had a look at "The explorers of the natural world", youtube video.

It looks as if the button is push on, push off with presumably timed switch off.

Doesn't look like push and hold.

I'm liking the look of the 10x32's...
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 22:21   #8
BruceH

Link to the YouTube video ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUChjHi9XDk

Runtime 1 min, 54 sec

Here is a second video put out by Canon yesterday showing the advantage of stabilization ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-5xJgDWEY

Runtime 1 min, 16 sec.

And a third showing the inner workings I guess ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocCU68tLHM

Runtime 58 sec.

None offer much explanation.

Last edited by BruceH : Wednesday 2nd August 2017 at 22:29. Reason: Added second video, and a third

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 23:59   #9
denco@comcast.n

I would imagine they will discontinue the older 10x30's, 12x36's and the 15x50's? The 14x32 sounds interesting for the 14x with a lighter weight but I wonder how dim it would be? The 10x32 also sounds interesting but I wonder how it would compare with the 10x42 IS-L optically? The new "powered" IS system could be worth the price alone if it gives you an even steadier, sharper image than normal IS as advertised. These could be ground breaking technology. Waiting for a review when they are available. Here is the preorder link at B&H if anybody want's to jump on them. I think regular alpha binoculars are in deep trouble with these coming out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tabilized.html

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 3rd August 2017 at 00:12.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 00:27   #10
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
I would imagine they will discontinue the older 10x30's, 12x36's and the 15x50's? The 14x32 sounds interesting for the 14x with a lighter weight but I wonder how dim it would be? The 10x32 also sounds interesting but I wonder how it would compare with the 10x42 IS-L optically? The new "powered" IS system could be worth the price alone if it gives you an even steadier, sharper image than normal IS as advertised. These could be ground breaking technology. Waiting for a review when they are available. Here is the preorder link at B&H if anybody want's to jump on them. I think regular alpha binoculars are in deep trouble with these coming out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tabilized.html

Few bought them before - why would they now? Surely not on price. What it means is all current owners need the upgrade - including Dennis....lol.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 01:29   #11
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Few bought them before - why would they now? Surely not on price. What it means is all current owners need the upgrade - including Dennis....lol.
Maybe few birders buy Canon IS binoculars according to the opinions on Bird Forum but for general observation the Canon's are pretty popular. On Amazon.com the Canon 10x30 IS is ranked 206 in binoculars sales, whereas, a fairly popular birding binocular like the Nikon M7 8x30 is ranked 450 in sales.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 3rd August 2017 at 01:31.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 01:48   #12
BruceH

Quote:
.........The 14x32 sounds interesting for the 14x with a lighter weight but I wonder how dim it would be?
That and I wonder how touchy eye placement would be with the 2.3mm exit pupil. Pocket size units with a similar exit pupil give me fits but maybe it would easier with a full size binocular with larger diameter eye cups. I do not know. That is small objective for a full size binocular with such a high power.

Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 01:55   #13
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
That and I wonder how touchy eye placement would be with the 2.3mm exit pupil. Pocket size units with a similar exit pupil give me fits but maybe it would easier with a full size binocular with larger diameter eye cups. I do not know. That is small objective for a full size binocular with such a high power.
The Canon IS also has the advantage of the stabilized view. Your view is not moving around as much so eye placement should be easier. A 14x, 27oz. IS binocular certainly sounds interesting. Especially if this new IS system is even more effective than the old one.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 02:15   #14
BruceH

Quote:
The Canon IS also has the advantage of the stabilized view. Your view is not moving around as much so eye placement should be easier. ..........
That thought occurred to me, but then the binocular will generally be anchored against the face so it should not be moving around. Hopefully some buyer will cover ease of eye placement in a review. I have the 15X50 so I suspect I will be happy with where I am at, but it is always interesting to check out new models.

Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 02:33   #15
ceasar

The current models come with 30mm, 36mm and 50mm objectives as the power increases. The exit pupils in them stay at about a reasonable 3mm.

It looks like a prospective purchaser of the new ones is limited to a binocular with 32mm objectives and a decreasing size of the exit pupils depending on the power.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 04:38   #16
denco@comcast.n

The interesting feature of these new Canon's is the Powered IS and the Lens Shift Image Stabilization and the fact that they actually give you a choice of what function to use depending on if your subject is moving or not. I wonder if this "improved" IS system would make up for it not having L glass and having a smaller aperture than the 10x42 IS-L. The 10x32 IS has the advantage over the 10x42 IS-L of being at least 10 oz. lighter and looking ergonomically superior. Could it come close to the optics of the bigger L glass 10x42 IS-L? I will have to buy one and compare it to my 10x42 IS-L. They have really jumped up in price but it is probably due to the improved technology of the newer IS system. Anyway they will be interesting to try. It could be that this will be the entire new Canon IS binocular line. Just these three models and everything else will be discontinued. The 32mm aperture keeps the weight down and 10x, 12x and 14x are probably the most popular magnifications for IS binoculars.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 3rd August 2017 at 05:08.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 04:48   #17
etudiant

Would it not be simpler for Canon to fit a modest zoom eyepiece instead of offering three separate glasses with slightly different magnifications?

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 05:07   #18
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Would it not be simpler for Canon to fit a modest zoom eyepiece instead of offering three separate glasses with slightly different magnifications?
Nah. Zoom eyepieces don't work that well. It would be fantastic if they did. A Canon 10 to14x32mm IS binocular that worked well would be awesome. Looks like Amazon.com has the Canon 14x32 IS binoculars ready to ship in 2 to 4 weeks for $1238.64. Actually with a 6.6 foot close focus at 14x the 14x32 would give a Papillio a run for their money in bug watching and they would be great for hawks or anything like wolves at distance. They could replace a spotter. They use AA batteries and you just press the IS button once for stabilization like the 10x42 IS-L's.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Cameras...2+IS+Binocular

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 3rd August 2017 at 05:21.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 13:52   #19
etudiant

Quote:
Nah. Zoom eyepieces don't work that well. It would be fantastic if they did. A Canon 10 to14x32mm IS binocular that worked well would be awesome.

I just can't understand the problem with zoom eyepieces. Canon sells millions of zoom lenses for cameras, so what is it that makes the technology so hard to put into binoculars. Especially IS models, as those already have the power supply installed.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 14:10   #20
Binastro

They would be crazy to discontinue the 15x50 IS.
It is one of the finest binoculars, even Zeiss admit this.
However, it may not be cost effective to continue making it if it needs expert technicians to set it up correctly.

I do not agree that the tilt IS is better than the variprism IS system.
My 10x30 II Is is wonderful.
The 8x25 IS 2014 sample is also excellent, but not better.
I think that the tilt mechanism is cheaper to make as the technology may be similar to Canon IS lenses.

Maybe the money people at Canon actually want to make a profit on IS binoculars. That might be a reason to drop less profitable models.

I don't know if Nikon still sell their IS binoculars, but the new Canons might kill them off, unless the waterproof Nikons have an edge.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 15:58   #21
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

I'm excited for the updated Canon IS offerings, but tempered by what they don't offer (IMHO):

Pros:
1. 50-66% Improvement on Close Focus!!
2. Possibly better IS Performance?!
3. Better Ergonomics!
4. Improved Coatings?!
5. Double the Lens Elements=Better Optics?!
6. 10X32=Increased Obj. Size!

Cons:
1. 10X32=145% $$$ increase in MSRP
2. 12X32=65% $$$ increase in MSRP
3. 12X32=Decreased Obj. Size
4. 4.2(12X) to 6.4(10X) oz. Heavier
5. No increase in FOV's (10X=315ft, 12X=263ft, 14X=226ft)
6. No Weatherproofing
7. Non-adjustable Eyecups
8. No Diopter adjustment increase
9. No L-Glass

Unknowns:
1. Armor durability?
2. Focus speed?
3. Eye cup comfort?
4. Balance?
5. Quality of Accessories?
6. Improved Warranty?
7. "Spectra Coatings" low light performance?
8. El. Durability?

All variables mentioned (or not) should be confirmed as soon as user reports start coming in (Go Dennis). Just wish that for the increase in price, Canon would have included more of what their flagship 10X42L IS offers! Maybe they have...We'll "SEE"!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98 : Thursday 3rd August 2017 at 19:03.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 18:19   #22
dipped

The objective lens construction of the Binos seems very complex compared to the rest of the range, 7elements in 6 groups - as Binastro says a lot of glass (elements).

Perhaps all that glass makes up for the lack of L series glass and partly justifies the price hike.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 20:15   #23
dipped

Prices up on Wex Photographic and available to pre-order. 10x32 is 1299.99 not far off the 10x42 at 1349.

Prices may come down a bit. Makes the 10x30 model look a bit of a steal.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 21:28   #24
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
The objective lens construction of the Binos seems very complex compared to the rest of the range, 7elements in 6 groups - as Binastro says a lot of glass (elements).

Perhaps all that glass makes up for the lack of L series glass and partly justifies the price hike.
Notice that compared to the optics of the 10x42 L below the new binoculars have a less complex eyepiece. Of course, one of the extra lens elements in the new objective is the IS lens in place of the old prism and one of the lenses behind the IS lens may be for internal focusing which is done by moving the objective triplet in the 10x42. Looks like the Porro Type 2 has been retained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0238.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	634954  
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 21:37   #25
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
Prices up on Wex Photographic and available to pre-order. 10x32 is 1299.99 not far off the 10x42 at 1349.

Prices may come down a bit. Makes the 10x30 model look a bit of a steal.
Yes, the price hike is quite large. The Canon 10x30 IS could be had for $400.00 and now the 10x32 IS is $1350.00. That is more than triple the price. You have to ask yourself why such a large increase.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: