Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 14:49   #51
Binastro

The Nikon Stabileyes are 12x32 and 16x32. Also 14x40.
So exit pupil is 2.0mm to ~2.8mm.
I have never tried them.

Fujinon exit pupils are also small.

I have had no problems with Canon 18x50 IS.
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 16:39   #52
Hermann

Anyone already seen one of the new Canons?

Amazon in Germany already lists them as "available", albeit at a ridiculously high price:

https://www.amazon.de/Canon-Fernglas...s=p_89%3ACanon

Hermann
Old Tuesday 31st October 2017, 18:19   #53
dipped

Wex Photo and Video is now showing the 12x32 as in stock.

I spoke to the Canon Rep in store a while ago and comments from the public at the Birdfair launch included the large (oversized? eyecups), were a bit unusual and the IS was not instantaneous.

If I happen to be in Norwich I will definitely check them out.
Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 06:40   #54
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Anyone already seen one of the new Canons?

Amazon in Germany already lists them as "available", albeit at a ridiculously high price:

https://www.amazon.de/Canon-Fernglas...s=p_89%3ACanon

Hermann
They are just out on the Swiss market (yes, with „premium“ prices here as well), and I will get a 10x32 on Sat for testing and comparing to my current Canons (10x30 IS II, 10x42 IS).

Will try to write a review over the weekend. Specific questions welcome.
Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 13:40   #55
Binastro

Hi Canip.
Is the IS more like the 8x25 IS with front stabilizer lens element seen to be working, or like other variprisms, or like Fujinon or Nikon?
Or is it another type of electronic system, perhaps similar to current monocular ISs?

There are also Russian 20x50,10x50 and 25x55. Great claims, but I don't believe them.
The older Russian 16x50 apparently worked as a 16x35 as only a part of the objective was used, different bits at a time. Maybe that was pure mechanical. The newer ones seem to float in a magic strong magnetic field.
The problems with the newer Russian ones seem to be that a test sample was out of alignment. Some say they only work horizontally, others claim that they also worked on Jupiter. But are they really suitable for non horizontal work, and how reliable are they?

But I doubt that they are reliable without military tech support. Although all these Russian ones may work over 6 degree rather than 3 degree or Canon 1 deg movement.

Last edited by Binastro : Friday 3rd November 2017 at 14:19.
Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 17:36   #56
maico

The 2017 Japanese catalogue has the details. The new models are surprisingly expensive, the 14x32 has the same list price as the 10x42 L at 180,000 Yen

The IS is a new design quote: "the shift-type camera shake correction mechanism cultivated with the EOS lens of the EOS system."

There appear to be 2 x IS modes 'powered' and 'general'

The power consumption figures listed are a quarter or less than the 10x42,15x50 and 18x50 which have quote:

Variangle prism (VAP) wraps liquid with two glasses and a bellows-like tube, the so-called "liquid lens" of the structure. By changing the shape of this lens according to the blur, refraction it changes the direction and instantly stabilizes the image. The unit is connected and driven by a simple mechanical mechanism."

http://cweb.canon.jp/pdf-catalog/bin...binoculars.pdf

Last edited by maico : Saturday 4th November 2017 at 18:02.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 12:18   #57
Canip

Canon 10x32 IS vs. Canon 10x30 IS and Canon 10x42 L IS

Dear Birdforum members,

I just published the promised report here:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...2#entry8197486

(go to post # 46)

and trust it is okay for you to use this link.

As to Binastro's question (post # 55): I am not really sure which technology Canon uses in its newest binocular series. It is probably similar to the technology used in the 10x42, judging from the way the system enagages when the button is pressed, it makes the same "click" and exhibits the same slight delay before engaging after pressing the button.. But I cannot really say much more on technology, I haven’t found a detailed explanation from Canon or anybody else yet.

Canip

Last edited by Canip : Sunday 5th November 2017 at 15:24.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 15:09   #58
PeterPS

Canip/Pinac:

Many thanks for your detailed review! The huge eyecups (49mm in diameter!) and the smallish dioptric compensation range are deal breakers for me. In an earlier post I had predicted that using the new Canons with ones of the largest eyecups in the bino world would be difficult without glasses---any idea what purpose such large eyecups could serve? I still have hope that we'll see a 10x42L IS-II with improved eyecups and ergos in this decade....

Peter
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 15:37   #59
Binastro

Dear Maico,
Post 56.

Although I didn't see a translation, it seems the new 32mm IS Canons use a moving lens element as with the 8x25 IS.
In the 8x25 this element is near the objectives, but in the 32s it seems to be quite far back in the optics train, maybe similar to camera lens IS shift elements.

If I got this right then there should be no limit to the binocular aperture.
150mm aperture camera lenses and maybe a few larger use IS.

So there should be no reason to exclude 42mm, 50mm or larger Canon IS binoculars.

I notice from the link that the smallest deviation is with the 8x25, i.e. the most accurate IS and this seems correct with one of the 8x25s I used. But the 10x30 Mk II that I have is as good and possibly even better than the good 8x25 although I didn't try them side by side. I did notice very rapid small oscillations in this 8x25 which are only noticed if one looks very carefully for them.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 17:59   #60
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Canip/Pinac:

..... any idea what purpose such large eyecups could serve? .....
Not the slightest idea !
But again, that‘s me talking, with an IPD of 61mm.
People with wide IPDs may be happy with them.

On the other hand, all those observing wearing their glasses may also not like the folded down eyecups, since eye relief is not huge and the folded down eyecups prevent you from having your glasses touch the eyelenses, so you most likely lose some FOV.

The solution may be to exchange the regular eyecups with other ones that fit; a winged design might be ideal.

Last edited by Canip : Sunday 5th November 2017 at 18:02.
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 14:59   #61
Binastro

Looking at the 32s they seem quite long and heavy.
I wonder if the objectives are slower than the 10x30s, i.e. considerably longer focal length.
Part of the length may be because of the optical windows.
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 16:15   #62
maico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
Not the slightest idea !
But again, that‘s me talking, with an IPD of 61mm.
People with wide IPDs may be happy with them.

On the other hand, all those observing wearing their glasses may also not like the folded down eyecups, since eye relief is not huge and the folded down eyecups prevent you from having your glasses touch the eyelenses, so you most likely lose some FOV.

The solution may be to exchange the regular eyecups with other ones that fit; a winged design might be ideal.
On the 10x42 L you can take the rubber eyecups off then remove the extending sleeves by unscrewing the 2 screws they run on. This reveals a narrower 40mm tube that you can fit replacement eyecups on. Good for someone with a narrow IPD and big nose. The stock eyecups measure 46mm diameter according to my dial caliper.

I don't really understand why the clickstops extend so far. I don't wear glasses and if you extend past position 1 the image is being cut off severely.
In fact, the best position for me is almost zero extension which gives a great view.

Last edited by maico : Tuesday 7th November 2017 at 21:27.
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 20:11   #63
Binastro

Just measured the rubber eyecups on the 15 year old 18x50 IS.
They are still soft rubber and they fit me perfectly.
They both are about 48.5mm outside diameter, so the new 32s, (quoted 49mm), may have the same eyecups as the 18x50 IS.
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 18:57   #64
maico

AFAIK the new models use a variant of this type of lens IS using an element which has static and panning modes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2buS3rTkefY

The current models, except the cheapest one, use a variation of this video lens design. 2 optical flats mounted behind the objectives move in and out bellows fashion as per this animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9mFirQANwA
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: