Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 5th August 2017, 22:53   #1
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,346
Swarovski Service

I need to send my 8.5X42 in for service. When they say remove all accessories what exactly are they talking about? I removed the strap but I like to leave lens caps on for shipment protection. TIA for any advice.
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 5th August 2017, 23:30   #2
jtc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Hamilton
Posts: 123
When I sent mine in I removed both the rain guard and the objective covers. Just wrap in some bubble wrap and all will be good. You won't be disappointed with there service.
jtc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 5th August 2017, 23:39   #3
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc View Post
When I sent mine in I removed both the rain guard and the objective covers. Just wrap in some bubble wrap and all will be good. You won't be disappointed with there service.
Thanks.
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 23:36   #4
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,346
My 8.5X42 SV came back today as good or better than new. Since we were on vacation while the bin was in for repair I asked it be held until we returned home. It's quite challenging to sign for a package when you're a few hundred miles distant! The folks at Swarovski, as always, were top notch. Thanks Lisa for responding to several emails.

While at Cape May for three weeks I used my 10X50 SV almost exclusively. What a joy. One day I used my 7X42 Ultravid (2004) to see how it would compare. Though the 7X image is obviously smaller than 10X the Ultravid center field is so sharp that it doesn't make a huge difference identifying distant raptors. Optical clarity coupled with birding skill is all you need to enjoy a day of birding. If you can handle 10X fine; if not 7/8X will get the job done quite nicely. Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer.

Last summer I started using a bandolier strap (Vortex optics archer's strap) and it has proven most effective at eliminating pressure on my neck muscles. The Vortex strap has very long padding which slides effortlessly over sweaters, jackets, etc. I highly recommend it. PS...I do not care for harness straps.

My 8.5X42 SV developed slippage in the diopter or internal focus mechanism resulting in a random (though extremely minimal) difference between the two scopes. My aging eyes noticed it and Swarovski fixed it. The focus is smooooth, the diopter is back to 0 for my corrected eyes, hinge stiffness is perfect and they installed new eyecups. I believe the armor was also replaced. Collimation must be dead on because it snaps to focus instantly and there's zero eye strain during extended viewing. Zero charge.

Thanks again to all the folks at Swarovski Optik in Cranston, Rhode Island!
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 01:03   #5
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
My 8.5X42 SV came back today as good or better than new. Since we were on vacation while the bin was in for repair I asked it be held until we returned home. It's quite challenging to sign for a package when you're a few hundred miles distant! The folks at Swarovski, as always, were top notch. Thanks Lisa for responding to several emails.

While at Cape May for three weeks I used my 10X50 SV almost exclusively. What a joy. One day I used my 7X42 Ultravid (2004) to see how it would compare. Though the 7X image is obviously smaller than 10X the Ultravid center field is so sharp that it doesn't make a huge difference identifying distant raptors. Optical clarity coupled with birding skill is all you need to enjoy a day of birding. If you can handle 10X fine; if not 7/8X will get the job done quite nicely. Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer.

Last summer I started using a bandolier strap (Vortex optics archer's strap) and it has proven most effective at eliminating pressure on my neck muscles. The Vortex strap has very long padding which slides effortlessly over sweaters, jackets, etc. I highly recommend it. PS...I do not care for harness straps.

My 8.5X42 SV developed slippage in the diopter or internal focus mechanism resulting in a random (though extremely minimal) difference between the two scopes. My aging eyes noticed it and Swarovski fixed it. The focus is smooooth, the diopter is back to 0 for my corrected eyes, hinge stiffness is perfect and they installed new eyecups. I believe the armor was also replaced. Collimation must be dead on because it snaps to focus instantly and there's zero eye strain during extended viewing. Zero charge.

Thanks again to all the folks at Swarovski Optik in Cranston, Rhode Island!
With a special thanks to Gail.

Bill
__________________
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."Dr. Stephen Hawking
WJC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 01:06   #6
denco@comcast.n
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 562
"Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer."

You need to try a Canon 10x42 IS-L some time!
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 01:12   #7
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Great news, Pileatus!!

Beginning of the year, sent in my 10X50SV...also came back from SONA Better than new!! Focus is now Silky Smooth and void of Any stickion (was slowly developing). Have never felt focuser smoothness as precise and accurate as these!!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 01:19   #8
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
"Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer."

You need to try a Canon 10x42 IS-L some time!
I have more than once. Nice view but bulky and heavy. I've yet to meet a birder in the field using this model. There's got to be a reason I'm unaware of.
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 02:10   #9
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I have more than once. Nice view but bulky and heavy. I've yet to meet a birder in the field using this model. There's got to be a reason I'm unaware of.
You're quite right that the 10x42 is rare in the field, despite its virtues.
In 10 years of birding travel, I've seen just one pro with a unit, well worn, on a pelagic out of Hokkaido, Japan.
The problem is that repairs are costly and the warranty is short, under 3 years. While the glass is very robust and reliable, (mine went 9 years without a glitch), customers want more peace of mind than that.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 02:15   #10
denco@comcast.n
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I have more than once. Nice view but bulky and heavy. I've yet to meet a birder in the field using this model. There's got to be a reason I'm unaware of.
The Canon 10x42 IS-L's are only 3 oz. heavier than the Swarovski 10x50 SV's. That's nothing when you are talking almost 3 pounds. The Canon's are bulky compared to the SV's though. It is just hard to make an IS binocular with the electrical and mechanical components as sleek and ergonomic as a normal roof prism. Maybe the MKII Canon will address those problems. It is nice to have a steady view though. It makes you realize how much you really shake when using regular binoculars. Glad you had good service with Swarovski. I always did to. They are a very good company to deal with.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 03:27   #11
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Great news, Pileatus!!

Beginning of the year, sent in my 10X50SV...also came back from SONA Better than new!! Focus is now Silky Smooth and void of Any stickion (was slowly developing). Have never felt focuser smoothness as precise and accurate as these!!

Ted
Same thing for me and my 10x50SV's. I dropped mine in the sand and kicked them around a little before I realized what I had done. Swaro sent them back in pristine condition, and yes, with a smooth focuser. Swaro rocks.
jgraider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 03:28   #12
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Great that Swaro service is superb - shame it seems to be needed so often...
That's the best you can do?
jgraider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 03:40   #13
denco@comcast.n
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
You're quite right that the 10x42 is rare in the field, despite its virtues.
In 10 years of birding travel, I've seen just one pro with a unit, well worn, on a pelagic out of Hokkaido, Japan.
The problem is that repairs are costly and the warranty is short, under 3 years. While the glass is very robust and reliable, (mine went 9 years without a glitch), customers want more peace of mind than that.
I think 9 years without a problem is pretty good for a electromechanical device. The Canon's are a pretty sophisticated instrument. But the warranty is short. It is like Canon doesn't have too much confidence in them. But most people seem to have pretty good luck with their longevity based on the comments on Bird Forum anyway.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 26th October 2017 at 03:43.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 23:54   #14
chill6x6
Registered User
 
chill6x6's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
My 8.5X42 SV came back today as good or better than new. Since we were on vacation while the bin was in for repair I asked it be held until we returned home. It's quite challenging to sign for a package when you're a few hundred miles distant! The folks at Swarovski, as always, were top notch. Thanks Lisa for responding to several emails.

While at Cape May for three weeks I used my 10X50 SV almost exclusively. What a joy. One day I used my 7X42 Ultravid (2004) to see how it would compare. Though the 7X image is obviously smaller than 10X the Ultravid center field is so sharp that it doesn't make a huge difference identifying distant raptors. Optical clarity coupled with birding skill is all you need to enjoy a day of birding. If you can handle 10X fine; if not 7/8X will get the job done quite nicely. Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer.

Last summer I started using a bandolier strap (Vortex optics archer's strap) and it has proven most effective at eliminating pressure on my neck muscles. The Vortex strap has very long padding which slides effortlessly over sweaters, jackets, etc. I highly recommend it. PS...I do not care for harness straps.

My 8.5X42 SV developed slippage in the diopter or internal focus mechanism resulting in a random (though extremely minimal) difference between the two scopes. My aging eyes noticed it and Swarovski fixed it. The focus is smooooth, the diopter is back to 0 for my corrected eyes, hinge stiffness is perfect and they installed new eyecups. I believe the armor was also replaced. Collimation must be dead on because it snaps to focus instantly and there's zero eye strain during extended viewing. Zero charge.

Thanks again to all the folks at Swarovski Optik in Cranston, Rhode Island!
Great news! They seem to always take care of their customers. Anything else would be the exception rather than the rule. I believe having a warranty center here in the USA sure helps those of us here with timely service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I have more than once. Nice view but bulky and heavy. I've yet to meet a birder in the field using this model. There's got to be a reason I'm unaware of.
I saw ONE at MaGee Marsh last year. The only one I've ever seen other than myself! The reason I don't use it more is ergonomics, eye relief, and weight mostly. I'm not that crazy about carrying/holding a 40 ounce 10X42 when a SV 10X42 weighs in at 30 ounces.
__________________
Chuck
chill6x6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th October 2017, 00:06   #15
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
That's the best you can do?
I deleted that a minute after posting as I thought it unnecessarily provocative..but it lives on now...

hey, I'm a big fan of Swaro's - love the view through all the SV's and think the SLC is superb - BUT - they really do have some serious focus durability issues as evidenced by the large numbers reported here / elsewhere and from what I hear from friends / colleagues that are owners, as well as my experience hands-on with a half-dozen or so SV's. The only one that was smooth was the 10x50 SV - all the 8.5's were terribly notchy / sticky and imprecise.

And, to be completely fair, it is evident to me that there is way too much variation in QA when it comes to Zeiss alphas. It seems pretty hit-or-miss if you are going to get a good unit and, if you are spending $2000+ on a bin, they all should be perfect. I've been vocal about this before, as well as the horrible eye-cups that Zeiss foisted onto Conquest HD owners.

So, I can be an equal opportunity b*tch-er ;]
__________________
''serenity now....insanity later.'' - Lloyd Brawn

Last edited by james holdsworth : Friday 27th October 2017 at 00:17.
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 01:53   #16
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post

So, I can be an equal opportunity b*tch-er ;]
You're a professional, that's for sure.

I'm one of those who thinks "who gives a ratsazzz that a Swaro focuser isn't silky smooth"? TSwarovski sees the rest of the alpha makers in their rear view mirror.
jgraider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 06:38   #17
denco@comcast.n
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 562
James. I will support you concerning the Swarovski focus durability issues. I have had many Swarovski's and I have had several problems with them all with the focus wheels being notchy, sticky and imprecise. I sent a couple into SONA for issues. I gave up on Swarovski's because I don't care for their focus wheels. They do have good optics and good service though but I grew tired of dealing with a poor focuser on a $2K binocular.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Friday 27th October 2017 at 07:22.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 06:40   #18
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
You're a professional, that's for sure.

I'm one of those who thinks "who gives a ratsazzz that a Swaro focuser isn't silky smooth"? TSwarovski sees the rest of the alpha makers in their rear view mirror.

It is a matter of usage.

Hunters don't use the focuser as much as birders do.

Bob
ceasar is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th October 2017, 21:52   #19
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
It is a matter of usage.

Hunters don't use the focuser as much as birders do.

Bob
I"m both, for the record.
jgraider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 22:03   #20
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,487
It's certainly preferable to have a nice smooth focus action. I'd rather the focus be done right with no issues.
When I had the CL 8x30 it had a couple of gritty spots in the focus, but I didn't pay it too much mind.
I liked most other aspects of the bino and the imperfect focus action wasn't a deal killer for me.

I do think the new CL will have improved focus just like the Field Pro SV's have been improved.
Tried a FP SV 8x32 a few weeks back for the first time and found the focus action to be excellent.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th October 2017, 22:35   #21
denco@comcast.n
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
It's certainly preferable to have a nice smooth focus action. I'd rather the focus be done right with no issues.
When I had the CL 8x30 it had a couple of gritty spots in the focus, but I didn't pay it too much mind.
I liked most other aspects of the bino and the imperfect focus action wasn't a deal killer for me.

I do think the new CL will have improved focus just like the Field Pro SV's have been improved.
Tried a FP SV 8x32 a few weeks back for the first time and found the focus action to be excellent.
Was the FP SV 8x32 as smooth as a Nikon?
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 22:39   #22
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
Was the FP SV 8x32 as smooth as a Nikon?
I don't have any experience with Nikon roofs, but I owned the SE 8x32 porro in the past which I thought had very smooth and precise focus.
So, it's hard for me to say, but I did find the FP SV nice and smooth with overall equal tension...felt real nice. One thing that I noticed right away was the upgraded armor which feels luxurious ... a silky smooth feel. I felt like buying it on the spot and had to talk myself down.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th October 2017, 23:21   #23
denco@comcast.n
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
I don't have any experience with Nikon roofs, but I owned the SE 8x32 porro in the past which I thought had very smooth and precise focus.
So, it's hard for me to say, but I did find the FP SV nice and smooth with overall equal tension...felt real nice. One thing that I noticed right away was the upgraded armor which feels luxurious ... a silky smooth feel. I felt like buying it on the spot and had to talk myself down.
All the Nikon's have good focusers even the low end ones. I hope Swarovski improves their focusers because I admit they do have good optics. It's funny how little things can make you want a binocular like the armour. The Nikon MHG 8x42 feels nice too. The eye relief just didn't work out for me. Thanks for the answer. Maybe like you I will look at the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. If the focuser is smooth and the FOV is larger and they make eye placement easier with the "light box" it could be a nice handy binocular.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Friday 27th October 2017 at 23:30.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 23:42   #24
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
. Maybe like you I will look at the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. If the focuser is smooth and the FOV is larger and they make eye placement easier with the "light box" it could be a nice handy binocular.
I'm looking forward to some initial reviews and more photos, but it seems we'll have to wait some time.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th October 2017, 02:26   #25
chill6x6
Registered User
 
chill6x6's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
So, it's hard for me to say, but I did find the FP SV nice and smooth with overall equal tension...felt real nice. One thing that I noticed right away was the upgraded armor which feels luxurious ... a silky smooth feel. I felt like buying it on the spot and had to talk myself down.
I AGREE! Quite honestly....the new Field Pro SV focus adjustment is amazingly smooth. While out biding yesterday I was comparing the SV 10X42 with the SV Field Pro 10X50. The difference is REAL. So equal in both directions and smooth.

You have more will power than I do!
__________________
Chuck
chill6x6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swarovski Service Jonathan B. Swarovski 16 Friday 21st February 2014 09:53
Swarovski Service squidge Swarovski 23 Sunday 13th February 2011 09:43
Swarovski AT 80 Service J Revare Swarovski 1 Tuesday 26th February 2008 00:29
Top service from Swarovski dylan Swarovski 5 Wednesday 5th May 2004 01:32

{googleads}
£100 Cashback on Opticron DBA VHD Binoculars. Click to find out more.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.22169209 seconds with 34 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34.