Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 22nd August 2017, 19:40   #1
Mick50

Vortex Razor HD vs top line competitors

I'm thinking of purchasing a spotting scope, and a top of the line, most expensive model- Kowa, Swarovski... would be quite a stretch for my budget.

For those who have a Vortex and have compared it to the others, is the difference in performance of the others worth twice the price of the Vortex, if you could afford either? It might be nice to put the money I'd save into upgrading my binoculars.

My primary purpose for the scope is hawk watches and shore birding. I'm also interested in digiscoping, and have a Canon 60D DSLR.

Thanks. Good Birding!
Old Wednesday 23rd August 2017, 21:57   #2
AdamSi

I have the newer version of the Razor HD 27-60x 85mm HD and it is very good, anyone that has used it was also very impressed. The problem with Swarovski is they are very very good and always make you want one (even now I see a 95mm ATX and want one !) A Swaro ATS 65mm user compared mine at dusk looking at Tawny Owl and we both agreed mine was clearer and looked better but it was not really fair as 85mm vs 65mm. Another plus for Vortex is they give the VIP warranty so even if you drop it and break it they replace it ! its transferable to new owners which not many would honour that for accident type purposes, best to find somewhere that stocks both and go see.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: