Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 27th August 2017, 00:10   #1
mikenott
Flawed but improving!

Drop in polarising filters for bird shots

As it has been very quiet on here, I thought I woudl ask a question that has been perplexing me for a while. Is it worthwhile spending money on a polarising fillter (in my case a Canon PLC-52) into a 600m lens? I often go to a hide which faces east and the glare from the water is quite strong until about 2pm. I have often wondered whether a polarising filter woud make a difference to that glare?

Before anyone says - yes, I could go after 2pm! And yes - it woud probably drop a stop and the bird would still probably be silhouetted. But does it make enough difference to warrant a purchase or is it a big no-no?

Grateful for any thoughts

Michael.
Old Monday 28th August 2017, 19:42   #2
johnf3f
johnf3f

Unfortunately I no longer have an F4 600mm! With my Canon 300 F2.8 the filter is sometimes useful - but not very often. With my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS it simply costs too much light!

I have one but it is rarely used.
Old Thursday 31st August 2017, 09:54   #3
Malcolm Stewart

I was going to respond earlier, but events...
I have an EF 500 F/4L IS, and also the shorter 300 F/2.8L IS. Some years ago I bought the appropriate circular polarising filter, the 52mm, and after running some tests after purchase, haven't found any use for this filter. OTOH I do routinely use a circular polarising filter on my Legria HF G30 video camera - it's very useful when I'm shooting damselflies against the surface of a pond. If you are tempted, beware, there is a smaller size (49mm?) which fits the earlier range of Canon L lenses.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: