Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 16:48   #51
GLOBETROTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Hi Jesus,

Any white smoke yet out of the chimney?

Jan
No news at all, this is fustrating.

I dont have any hope to receive a new unit they probably will try to fix mine.
Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 18:03   #52
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBETROTTER View Post

Indeed it seems frustrating,
for how long have you been without your Noctivids?

4 weeks would be OK for me to wait, 6 weeks perhaps acceptable,
but more than that...nahh.

Actually there is another thread on BF where a guy sent his 100-400mm Leica/Pana camera lens to be fixed (warranty issue), but he never got it back, so he changed to another make...
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 08:20   #53
Tobias Mennle

Regarding service in Germany, I had very similar issues with Zeiss. They all need to run their facilities based on average flows, so although for example Zeiss aims at a turnover time of only 6 days 4-6 weeks are nothing unusual probably. Don´t expect wonders, especially with the long summer holidays just gone by, where service facilities can only run at a reduced pace and repairs heap up.

I agree with Rathaus that the price for this glass is not high given the complexity of the task and German production. Everyone dealing with as many alpha bins as you did knows there will always be quite a few lemons, because the pressure of the market is high and prices would need to be much higher for more effective QC. Look at the price of that flagship Nikon WX...

Trust your eyes, and be patient, but persistent. They will deal with your glass, but probably later than sooner and that´s how it is.

Last edited by Tobias Mennle : Friday 29th September 2017 at 08:31. Reason: grammar
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 13:21   #54
Loud Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBETROTTER View Post

I feel for you as clearly this experience is doing nothing for your confidence in a flagship binocular and even less for the example you’ve purchased.

Mindful of your thread title and in all seriousness have you asked for refund?

Hope it all comes good very soon.

LGM
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 14:29   #55
GLOBETROTTER

Last News from Leica.

They are sending back the same binocular.

They claim that the focus mechanism was change and the binocular was perfectly collimated so the unit was disabled and comes with new rubber cover.

So the binocular will arrive to Madrid the next week, a quick check with my 10X50 FP and late night one start test will say and confirm if everything is ok with the optics.

Sorry if i am not very enthusiast i already loses any illusion and hope.....lets see.

Thanks to all of you guys for your kind words and support.

Last edited by GLOBETROTTER : Friday 29th September 2017 at 14:35.
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 14:53   #56
ceasar

Glad to hear the good news.

Apparently Leica was working on it.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th September 2017, 15:20   #57
PIER PAOLO

Seems perfect
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 19:52   #58
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself

Ok, not such brilliant service, my armouring on the Nocts started to lift, not a big optical issue, but i wanted it fixed, so sent them away on 25th Aug via local optics retailer, my mate had the inside of his Nocts actually fog up after getting caught in a rain shower, bigggggg issue, sent away and we both got them back yesterday 28/9 after much cajoling and hustling and hassling, just in time for our break to Shetland on monday, my said mate suggesed leica should of gave him a new pair, as only 5 months old, for such a big issue i think he was correct,........not a chance, now he has to hope it doesn't recur, the rigorous pre sale testing should of picked this fault up....

Last edited by Martin Smyth : Friday 29th September 2017 at 20:05.
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 19:57   #59
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Seems Leica's communication could be much improved.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th September 2017, 22:39   #60
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smyth View Post
...my said mate suggesed leica should of gave him a new pair, as only 5 months old, for such a big issue i think he was correct,........not a chance, now he has to hope it doesn't recur, the rigorous pre sale testing should of picked this fault up....
In my experience, Leica usually restores bins to like new condition when it services them, so I don't think a new bin is likely to be any better than one that's been repaired. The latter might even be better, if it is checked thoroughly in the course of repair. I had to send in my Leica 8x32 BA just a few days after purchase for a hair that appeared in the view. That was in 1996 or so, and they've had no problems since. I'm not sure how thorough the pre-sale checks are beyond quality control during production. I've also had to return bins to Swarovski, Zeiss, and Nikon for repair shortly after purchase, so this isn't a failing unique to Leica.

--AP
Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 03:02   #61
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

The ''un-waterproofness'' of recent Leica bins seems to be more than a few outliers...
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 10:50   #62
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
In my experience, Leica usually restores bins to like new condition when it services them, so I don't think a new bin is likely to be any better than one that's been repaired. The latter might even be better, if it is checked thoroughly in the course of repair. I had to send in my Leica 8x32 BA just a few days after purchase for a hair that appeared in the view. That was in 1996 or so, and they've had no problems since. I'm not sure how thorough the pre-sale checks are beyond quality control during production. I've also had to return bins to Swarovski, Zeiss, and Nikon for repair shortly after purchase, so this isn't a failing unique to Leica.

--AP
I think his concerns were where was Leicas quality control in the first place..
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 22:07   #63
maico

If I'd paid by credit card I think I would of just done a CC chargeback. There used to be no time limit for this but I think it's generally 6 months now. They send you a form to fill in and you need proof of shipping that the item has been returned to the vendor.
In the UK under consumer protection laws a company has the right to attempt repair once. If that fails the consumer can demand a refund or replacement. This is in addition to the protections you have purchasing with a credit card.
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 07:33   #64
Patriot222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smyth View Post
my mate had the inside of his Nocts actually fog up after getting caught in a rain shower, bigggggg issue,
I know we've seen many cases of the Ultravid and poor water resistance in the past but it's really disappointing to see this sort of thing in Leica's newest design. My desire is for the brand do well but I'm continuing to lose confidence in their sport optics.
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 16:34   #65
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot222 View Post
I know we've seen many cases of the Ultravid and poor water resistance in the past but it's really disappointing to see this sort of thing in Leica's newest design. My desire is for the brand do well but I'm continuing to lose confidence in their sport optics.
Were there really "many cases of the Ultravid and poor water resistance in the past"? I can't think of many instances where people reported problems with the Ultravid. OK, Allbinos did, and a friend of mine had some problems with his 8x32, but that's about it.

Hermann
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 17:27   #66
Maljunulo

The poor water resistance is enough to make me shy away.

I'm too old for the hassles.
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 19:06   #67
Mike F

The trouble with these things is that people understandably report problems (and sometimes they are genuine), but no one reports a non-problem. Given that, and the fact that the sample size is so small, it's easy to get the impression that a particular issue is widespread. I'm no statistician, but I'm quite sure that no self respecting one would conclude that Leica have a general problem with poor water resistance based on the reports thereof on BF.

Last edited by Mike F : Monday 30th October 2017 at 06:40.
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 19:24   #68
Maljunulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
The trouble with these things is that people understandably report problems (and sometimes they are genuine), but no one reports a non-problem. Given that, and the fact that the sample size is so small, it's easy to get the impression that a particular issue is widespread. I'm no statistician, but I'm quite sure that no self respecting one would assume that Leica have a general problem with poor water resistance based on the reports thereof on BF.
You are absolutely correct.

However, the statistics are irrelevant if your binocular is one that leaks.
Old Monday 30th October 2017, 14:15   #69
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
The trouble with these things is that people understandably report problems (and sometimes they are genuine), but no one reports a non-problem. Given that, and the fact that the sample size is so small, it's easy to get the impression that a particular issue is widespread. I'm no statistician, but I'm quite sure that no self respecting one would conclude that Leica have a general problem with poor water resistance based on the reports thereof on BF.
In general I'd agree, but I've seen a few different reports of non-waterproofness in these Leica Noctivid binoculars, but can only recall seeing one such a report in the older Ultravids/Trinovids and none from other brands, e.g. Zeiss or Swarovski. Given optics, etc. are so similar between the alpha models aside from design differences, it'd be worrying enough for me to want to avoid them if I was interested in purchasing one of these alpha models.
Old Monday 30th October 2017, 15:43   #70
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
but can only recall seeing one such a report in the older Ultravids/Trinovids and none from other brands, e.g. Zeiss or Swarovski
With a little digging in this or other forums, you will find reports of leaky or mouldy bins from any brand, including Zeiss and Swarovski. I doubt that any meaningfull conclusion can be made from that, except that no brand is entirely perfect. That said, I can report that my Ultravid is perfectly waterproof since more than 9 years
Old Monday 6th November 2017, 06:56   #71
Patriot222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Were there really "many cases of the Ultravid and poor water resistance in the past"? I can't think of many instances where people reported problems with the Ultravid. OK, Allbinos did, and a friend of mine had some problems with his 8x32, but that's about it. Hermann
Perhaps "many" isn't the ideal terminology, when considering only the cases that we've heard about here at BF. But if I create a loose composite of those cases here at BF, then consider the two flooded Leica optics at Allbinos, (unbelievable in itself) my own leaking Trinovid 8x32 BN (sat overnight in the rain) a friend's fogged up Ultravid non-HD (inside a damp truck cab) and all the scattered cases of fogged or leaking Leica optics on the various shooting and hunting forums, which I occasion, it's a complete enough picture that it's concerning to me. Now we hear of a BF member's fogged NV already?

Swarovski seems to be the predominant high end optics brand here in the desert southwest US, among archers, shooters, and hunters. As a general example, I can't really think of a time where I was at the archery range, or the shooting range, or around hunting camp when someone mentioned a fogged Swarovski. I don't doubt that it happens, it's just that I never run into it with non-Leica optics, including all the different Monarchs in circulation which are also popular here.

Let me be clear that I'm not anti-Leica. I love the history of the brand and still own several including that 8x32 BN, 8x42 UV HD, Televid APO, LRF 1200 and darn, I still miss the 10x50BA that I traded in years ago! These days, I can really relate to what Maljunulo stated, in that I just don't want to deal with sending my optics in for repair work. I feel that Leica is at significantly higher 'leak' risk than my other optics, including my cheap Nikon 7x35 EX's which I routinely run under the faucet.

Last edited by Patriot222 : Monday 6th November 2017 at 06:57. Reason: sp
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 16:47   #72
maico

Few instruments are waterproof in the long run as seals shrink and harden, as divers often find out as their expensive watches drown...

I haven't had any problems with my 2015 Trinovids in the rain here in England, however I'm guessing the dioptre adjuster assembly arrangement could potentially be a source of ingress.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 01:24   #73
Patriot222

Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
Few instruments are waterproof in the long run as seals shrink and harden, as divers often find out as their expensive watches drown...
Most would not argue against that statement however, the context was, BF member, Martin Symth's mate's, 5mo old NV, along with some other rather new-ish examples.

I live in a very low humidity region where 0-5% moisture is the norm. Decent quality rubber/silicone seals will last a surprisingly long time if they're not exposed to UV light or 175°+F temps, regularly.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 08:05   #74
Torview

The Noctivid is a radical new design for Leica it seems to me, I`m not that surprised there are some issues that arise from real world use, any of these can be ironed out for newer production runs, but surely the main concern is how quickly or willingly Leica address these issues for those affected, its this care and service that would be my concern before paying £2k on a NV right now.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 09:23   #75
Mike F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
The Noctivid is a radical new design for Leica it seems to me, I`m not that surprised there are some issues that arise from real world use, any of these can be ironed out for newer production runs, but surely the main concern is how quickly or willingly Leica address these issues for those affected, its this care and service that would be my concern before paying £2k on a NV right now.
If you're buying in the UK, fear not. Leica service UK is excellent. They went to extraordinary lengths to make sure I was totally satisfied when I had a problem. They really do understand that they 'dropped the ball' at one point (Mark Symes words, not mine) and they are extremely keen to rectify that situation and the damage it did to their collective image.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: