Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 3rd June 2005, 03:57   #1
Steve-O
Just a Guy

pentax + eagle raven

Hello all! I hope someone can give me some advice.

I purchased an Eagle Optics scope a couple years ago, not the best, but it works. This year I purchased a Pentax *ist DS camera and decided to attach it to the scope. I purchased the proprietary Eagle adapter and the correct t-ring et viola, a 1000mm, f10.2 lens for my new camera! I set it up and took a few pics around the yard, all less than 50 feet, and it worked well - nice clear pics on a cloudy day.

Last week-end I 6took this rig to a park, hoping to get some pics of Great Egrets fishing - the results were less than pleasing. Very hard to see the screen on a nice sunny day, so it wasn't until I returned home that I saw the problems.

There was a violet fringing around the white birds - I knew that this might happen, so I wasn't very surprised - an artifact of the lens.

What was worse was that none of the pics was focused correctly. After a couple shots it seemed that the adapter was too loose and I screwed the tube in until I could snug it tight with the set screw...might I have changed the focal length beyond the ability of the lens to focus? Or, is the lens so poor that it cannot focus clearly at 100 yards?

The shots I took in my yard were very detailed and clear, I expected a little degradation at longer distances, so this trial was a disappointment (especially since I had some great action shots of the Egrets hitting the water!)

I will try backing off the tube of the adapter, but am wondering if there is an easier method of fine tuning the set-up, it seems incredible that the change in distance could make such a difference in quality.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated...

Steve

Last edited by Steve-O : Friday 3rd June 2005 at 04:01.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: