Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 03:30   #1
Aaron Rust

New To Me Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B T*p*

I scored a very nice Zeiss Dialyt 7x42B *T*P Serial 2334780 - *T=coatings? *P=phaze coatings? correct? The lenses are near perfect. They come with nothing other than the bins themselves. The eyecups are going to be replaced as their is some wear on these. Other than that they are very very nice. I have maybe $350 in them as I traded stuff for them. They join my NVA DF 7x40, NVA EDF 7x40, and Minox 8.5x42 aspherical asian made binos. I expect them to be better than any of these except in very low light the military binos may be better... What advancements other than HD glass have been since these were made? I love them already.
Aaron
https://i.imgur.com/YjLeU3s.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dpGmxjS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZzXtL2X.jpg

Last edited by Aaron Rust : Sunday 1st October 2017 at 04:41.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 03:39   #2
Jack Speer

Congratulations Aaron! I have never seen one in person but that is a legendary birding binocular, no doubt. Do you have them in hand yet? I would love to hear more about them.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 04:26   #3
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rust View Post
?..What advancements other than HD glass have been since these were made? I love them already.
Aaron
Hello Aaron,

More modern binoculars have closer and faster focusing, as well as true waterproofing. Unlike other roof glasses your Dialyt uses Abbe-König prisms which provide a brighter image and some stereopsis. It should match and probably exceed the brightness of your other binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited by Pinewood : Sunday 1st October 2017 at 11:33. Reason: spelling
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 04:52   #4
Aaron Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Speer View Post
Congratulations Aaron! I have never seen one in person but that is a legendary birding binocular, no doubt. Do you have them in hand yet? I would love to hear more about them.
yeah, I got them today... I added some links, hopefully you can open them. Let me know if you can open them. What are they worth and what can you tell me about them?

Aaron
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 05:22   #5
berryns

Great score Aaron! I miss my 7x42 T*P sorely.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 12:59   #6
Aaron Rust

do these work?
https://i.imgur.com/YjLeU3s.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dpGmxjS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZzXtL2X.jpg
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 14:43   #7
Dorian Gray

Yes, the pictures are visible.

The binocular is probably worth at least double the $350 you estimate you put into it. Nice job!

Does your EDF have a very yellow image? The later Docter 7x40 has a yellow cast even though I’ve heard it is less yellow than the EDF. Made me wonder about the EDF.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 14:48   #8
Aaron Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Yes, the pictures are visible.

The binocular is probably worth at least double the $350 you estimate you put into it. Nice job!

Does your EDF have a very yellow image? The later Docter 7x40 has a yellow cast even though I’ve heard it is less yellow than the EDF. Made me wonder about the EDF.
yes the EDF has very yellow tint. - mine are commercial ones.
Marked: ausJENA 7X40 B GA
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 17:07   #9
Troubador

I saw two of these in use on the ferry between Scotland and the Outer Hebrides recently, still going strong. They were the inspiration for Swaro's EL and their fov of about 148m at 1,000 was not beaten by the Design Selection/Night Owl 7x or FL 7x that followed it. The close focus is not upto modern standards and it is not regarded as fully waterproof but I have seen it being used in pouring rain without any problems.

Lee
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 23:33   #10
Aaron Rust

I set with these a few moments outside today... AMAZING. Truly amazing. I have looked through quality alpha binos before... in Africa a friends Swarovski ELs. The closest thing I have owned was a Docter Navidoc turquoise colored binos. They were indeed brilliant. But these are incredible. I am so happy.
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 23:47   #11
jring

Hi,

yes, I got to try an NVA EDF once and I have to say the yellow tint on those was quite severe. And I know of few eastern bloc bins.

Congratiolations to the o.p. to a the Dialyt.

Joachim
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 17:27   #12
Patudo

The 7x42 T*P* is, of the Dialyts I've tried, the one that is most competitive with current top glass, and its price reflects that. There is no shortage of praise for this model on this forum and elsewhere, and when I finally got to try one I could see why. The only quibble I had with the unit I looked through was that the focuser assembly (accurately identified by other users as the weakest point of the binocular) was not as rock solid as it should have been - a firm push would result in a slight change of focus with the result that it needed more focus adjustment than a 7x42 should. I wonder why Zeiss never redesigned the focus assembly along the same lines as the 8x30 and 10x40 Dialyts. The focus tension was also too light for my taste, but I do prefer this to be pretty firm. But the quality of the image is excellent - sharp, with a wonderful combination of brightness and wide field of view. Back in the 1990s it must have been spectacular. It definitely deserves its reputation as one of the great classics.

Last edited by Patudo : Monday 2nd October 2017 at 17:29.
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 20:13   #13
Aaron Rust

I called zeiss. Mine are from 2004! Which I believe is the last year.
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 21:09   #14
John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rust View Post
I called zeiss. Mine are from 2004! Which I believe is the last year.
2334xxx, eh? I have 2395xxx and 2529xxx; I wonder when they were built?
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 21:19   #15
Gijs van Ginkel

Aaron Rust,
I have recently tested the Leica Ultravid HD-plus and I took some other binoculars along with this test and one of them is the 7x42 Dialyt. You can find the test on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, go to "verrekijkers"and "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". Number 16 in the long list of test reports is from the 7x42 test. It is in Dutch, but table, numbers and graphs are fairy international, so you will be able to understand.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 21:26   #16
Loud Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
The 7x42 T*P* is, of the Dialyts I've tried, the one that is most competitive with current top glass, and its price reflects that. There is no shortage of praise for this model on this forum and elsewhere, and when I finally got to try one I could see why. The only quibble I had with the unit I looked through was that the focuser assembly (accurately identified by other users as the weakest point of the binocular) was not as rock solid as it should have been - a firm push would result in a slight change of focus with the result that it needed more focus adjustment than a 7x42 should. I wonder why Zeiss never redesigned the focus assembly along the same lines as the 8x30 and 10x40 Dialyts. The focus tension was also too light for my taste, but I do prefer this to be pretty firm. But the quality of the image is excellent - sharp, with a wonderful combination of brightness and wide field of view. Back in the 1990s it must have been spectacular. It definitely deserves its reputation as one of the great classics.
Spot on.

If I ever see a pair at a good price I will grab them.

LGM
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 21:55   #17
Dorian Gray

I tried to buy one of these recently – I don’t have a low-light binocular with centre focus – but I was unable to find an attractive specimen at an attractive price. You can have one or other, of course. But it seems that the really good ones have a steep premium, presumably because they’re hunted down by people in the know.

Production has long since stopped, so the good specimens are only ever going to decrease in number.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 00:37   #18
Aaron Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Aaron Rust,
I have recently tested the Leica Ultravid HD-plus and I took some other binoculars along with this test and one of them is the 7x42 Dialyt. You can find the test on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, go to "verrekijkers"and "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". Number 16 in the long list of test reports is from the 7x42 test. It is in Dutch, but table, numbers and graphs are fairy international, so you will be able to understand.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs, thanks I can speak a bit of afrikaans and can some times understand some Dutch. I live in a Dutch settlement here in Kansas USA.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 10:02   #19
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Frink View Post
2334xxx, eh? I have 2395xxx and 2529xxx; I wonder when they were built?
Unfortunately Zeiss serial numbers, in recent decades, were not always used in datal order so in themselves are not reliable indicators of the date of manufacture. You would need to ask Zeiss to find this out.

Lee
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 02:10   #20
Rathaus

All other things being equal, I’ve noticed from my own Dialyt hunting that the slightly later German made (ie: non West German) but otherwise identical models of the T*P* are more sought after and sell for significantly more money on eBay. They’re going for big (new alpha) bucks if in rare true minty condition. Quite a few tattered but functioning ones about. The fact there are quite a few cosmetically tattered but functioning 7x42s shows that these were and still are highly prized binoculars in the field. Specs aside, I believe these bins offer an incredibly desirable aesthetic view which wasn’t replicated in the later Zeiss bins of the same specification. There are long threads on BF dedicated to viewers absolute favourite all time binoculars and more often than not this model of Zeiss trumps everything in existence, past or present.

Last edited by Rathaus : Saturday 7th October 2017 at 02:31.
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 20:56   #21
breydon

I have the later model The classic. Got it boxed as new and paid a price I am not putting on here { In case my other half reads this } Said it before they are a German engineering master piece. An Icon.
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 14:50   #22
Patudo

It's quite fascinating that despite the 7x42 Dialyt being in such hot demand, and more generally being regarded as one of the best Zeiss birding binoculars ever (and the 7x42FL also highly thought of, from what I can gather), Zeiss appears to have completely abandoned the alpha 7x market to Leica. I'm sure the company must have done its market research thoroughly, of course, but I can't help but wonder how a 7x42 SF, for instance, with say a 160m field of view would be received. Your thoughts, everyone?
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 16:10   #23
ceasar

Jerry Liquori wrote in his book "HAWKS from every angle" that he used 7x binoculars because of their wide FOV. See page 11. In his book "HAWKS at a Distance" he said he used Zeiss 7x45 Nightowls from 1994 until 2008 when he got the Zeiss 7x42 Victory. He used them because of their very wide FOVs.

It is easy to make nearly distortion free 7x42s with 8º FOVs (420'@1000yds). They show some pincushion at the edges. The Nikon EDG and Leica Ultravid 7x42s have 8º FOVs and Swarovski had a 7x42 SLC B up until 2010 when they discontinued it. They all are superb binoculars. Even my old long discontinued Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA with Uppendahl prisms had an 8º FOV without distortions and it still is a fine general use birding binocular.

High priced, top of the line, easy to use, distortion free 7x binoculars like those mentioned above don't sell very well. It is doubtful than a quality 7x42 with a 9º (472.50') field of view would sell very well either.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 9th October 2017 at 16:22.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th October 2017, 16:12   #24
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
It's quite fascinating that despite the 7x42 Dialyt being in such hot demand, and more generally being regarded as one of the best Zeiss birding binoculars ever (and the 7x42FL also highly thought of, from what I can gather), Zeiss appears to have completely abandoned the alpha 7x market to Leica. I'm sure the company must have done its market research thoroughly, of course, but I can't help but wonder how a 7x42 SF, for instance, with say a 160m field of view would be received. Your thoughts, everyone?
The market rules.
Everybody talks about the 7x but buys an 8 or 10x.
Zeiss would jump right on the 7x market if there would even be a market.
BTW, next to Leica there is another alpha brand, starting with an M that still produces a 7x42.

Jan
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 16:36   #25
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
The market rules.
Everybody talks about the 7x but buys an 8 or 10x.
Zeiss would jump right on the 7x market if there would even be a market.
BTW, next to Leica there is another alpha brand, starting with an M that still produces a 7x42.

Jan
...and don't forget Nikon EDG 7x42 which looks to still be available special order.

Also, not an "alpha" name brand, but Kite makes a 7x42 which I've always been curious about.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has one or has tried one and could let us know what they think:

https://kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/30/ibis-ed/

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Monday 9th October 2017 at 16:38.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: