Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 17:19   #1
Jochem Rosevalley

20 year old spottingscope Swift Nighthawk 65

Hi everybody,

Thank you for allowing me here on your site.

I am actually asking here a question for my dad as he is a real bird fan, but he has not a good telescope yet !

I have seen a Swift Nighthawk 65 spottingscope on marketplace from 1997.
It looks good and not used much.

I would like to know if this spottingscope is interesting and of good quality and would make my dad happy to start with.
And if it still possible to buy replacement parts.
It comes along with tripod and zoomocculairs 22-60x enlargment

Wondering if someone here has good experiene with this brand. And do they still manufacture ?

Many thanks

Jochem
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 17:35   #2
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Hi Jochem, welcome to the forum, I hope you find some useful information here.

I do not know much about this scope having never used one, but it looks similar to the opticron imagic series. These were entry level models when released, and I believe were fine optically if used with a 20-30x fixed magnification eyepiece. Depending upon your budget, there are likely to be better options on the market - both new and used.

I don't think this model is still made, unless it is in the incarnation of a Vixen Geoma. I suspect that Opticron eyepieces would work with the Swift.

There is a search function in the top-right corner - it may be worth searching for either Swift or Opticron models for any old threads.

I hope this helps and hopefully somebody with first hand use will be along to comment further.

Support Oriental Bird Club
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 19:42   #3
jring

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF. I don't know the model either but I found a review of both sizes in the archive of Better View Desired - it did not so well, although the abysmal result was at least partly due to a bad fixed 20x EP and the zoom was ok-ish but unusable with glasses in the supplied form due to a fixed rubber eyecup (which could be cut).

https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/Swift-Nighthawks.php

I would not spend a lot on it but if you can get it for really cheap and can check the view before buying- why not?

Joachim, whose 30 year old Kowa TSN-3 is great...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: