Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 9th October 2017, 23:49   #1
ceasar

Nikon Monarch HG wins 1st Place in Field and Stream test of 13 new Binoculars.

I found this link to Field and Stream's Binocular reviews in the Nikon Sport Optics index page today. Field and Stream -- Best of the Test -- 2017

https://www.fieldandstream.com/top-10-binoculars-2017

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 00:16   #2
Egrets Ivadafew

Nice.
Although they've got the FOV wrong. I've not got the actual figure to hand, but think it's way wider than that.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 00:36   #3
Egrets Ivadafew

Nope, can't find the figure. Maybe I dreamt it.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 00:38   #4
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrets Ivadafew View Post
Nice.
Although they've got the FOV wrong. I've not got the actual figure to hand, but think it's way wider than that.
Assuming you are referencing the 10X42 Nikon HG in the review, then the review shows 362 ft for the 10X42 and that is what Nikon USA is showing in the specs.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...-hg-10x42.html

Could you be thinking of the 8X42 HG which has a FOV of 435 ft at 1,000 yards?

Here is a link to the other post on the F & S 2017 review .......

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....ghlight=Stream
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 01:18   #5
David in NC

Even though everyone's needs are different I enjoy these types of articles...
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 02:13   #6
Nixterdemus

6-10x42, 1-8x56, 2-8x42, 1-15x56

Certainly a smörgåsbord ...

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 04:11   #7
Maljunulo

This kind of blows my mind ......... that it beat out the Noctivid.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 05:07   #8
denco@comcast.n

What is interesting is that in last years Field and Stream binocular test the Sig Sauer Zulu 7 scored 92.3 which bested both the Nikon Monarch MHG(89.6) and the Leica Noctivid(88.3) on this years test for considerably less money. The Zulu 7 is another Kamakura made binocular like the Tract Toric.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/ten-n...nked-and-rated
https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2...lu7-binocular/

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Tuesday 10th October 2017 at 05:21.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 06:02   #9
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maljunulo View Post
I agree, but then again value for money is part of the scoring system which is where Noctovid is let down due to it being the most expensive in the testing group.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 08:30   #10
Egrets Ivadafew

Yes, I find comparison tests regardless of price far more instructive. Because value for money has been added to the formula, the Nikon MHG magically becomes a better binocular than the Noctovid, yet in pure terms of viewing enjoyment (brightness, resolution, etc), I suspect a shuffling of the top ten would happen.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 11:11   #11
Troubador

Quote:
Yes, I find comparison tests regardless of price far more instructive. Because value for money has been added to the formula, the Nikon MHG magically becomes a better binocular than the Noctovid, yet in pure terms of viewing enjoyment (brightness, resolution, etc), I suspect a shuffling of the top ten would happen.
And value for money is such a personal thing. Bushnells usually turn in a solid rather than stellar performance and so give good value but the example tested had focus backlash which wouldn't get a 'value for money' accolade from me. Others may have other priorities.

Lee
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 11:15   #12
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
What is interesting is that in last years Field and Stream binocular test the Sig Sauer Zulu 7 scored 92.3 which bested both the Nikon Monarch MHG(89.6) and the Leica Noctivid(88.3) on this years test for considerably less money. The Zulu 7 is another Kamakura made binocular like the Tract Toric.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/ten-n...nked-and-rated
https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2...lu7-binocular/
But Dennis have you seen the Zulu? Its so ugly that if you had it on a shelf in your bedroom you wouldn't be able to sleep. It looks like the result of a mating between a picatinny rail and a toilet brush.

Lee
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 12:37   #13
Egrets Ivadafew

Lee,
Genuine (but probably stupid) question, but what's focus backlash?
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 13:13   #14
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Bizarre mix of binoculars in this "test". Why add a $2700 bin in the test among bins which are less than half the price then deduct points from "value" stating it's too expensive compared to the others. No kidding lol. The Nvid shouldn't have been included here. Reading the summary of the Nvid it got perfect scores in image and other areas, but lost points for "value" and the condensation defect. Even without the sample defect the Nvid may still be stuck in 2nd place since they deem it's not a value buy. No alpha/top tier bins are value buys or could be categorized under "bang for buck", etc.

This whole test is weird. A comparison of bins at the same price level would make more sense.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 13:41   #15
Egrets Ivadafew

Yeah, OK for experienced users of optics because they can read between the lines, but newcomers bombarded with hundreds of species of binoculars and looking for reasoned advice? They could shell out hard earned bucks based on unbalanced tests like this.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 13:52   #16
Maljunulo

By assigning a number to a subjective, they profess to turn it into something objective, and then reject the best of a series based on that subjective quantity.

Bizarre.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 16:12   #17
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
But Dennis have you seen the Zulu? Its so ugly that if you had it on a shelf in your bedroom you wouldn't be able to sleep. It looks like the result of a mating between a picatinny rail and a toilet brush.

Lee
Sig Sauer is an arms company so they went for a tactical look on the Zulu 7. It is different but it kind of grows on you. The tactical or military look is popular in the USA for a lot of stuff like guns, flashlights, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zulu7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	642591  

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Tuesday 10th October 2017 at 16:30.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 17:30   #18
Steve C

Quote:
By assigning a number to a subjective, they profess to turn it into something objective, and then reject the best of a series based on that subjective quantity.

Bizarre.
Amen. That is also my main objection to Albinos. Field and Stream or other outdoor publications need to get a group of similar binoculars, all 8x42 or all 10x42 and go from there. There is some stuff not there that should be there too.

Chances are there is not a whit of field worthy difference.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 17:45   #19
chill6x6

I mean...it's an interesting article. It has some good info in it. Kind of like difference car magazines "Car of the Year" awards. New cars of the year convertibles, sedans, coupes, etc all tested together. Same here, basically just a review of all the new binoculars. Really iMO in no way can it be a "comparison."

BUT being an owner of the Monarch HG, I have to agree with what they say. All things considered I'm not sure there is a better birding binocular for less than $1000.

Some good info but the final score certainly doesn't always indicate the "best" binocular.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 19:15   #20
Egrets Ivadafew

Thread hijack alert (sorry).
I burnt some serious brain cells agonising over Nikon MHG 8x42 or Zeiss Conquest 8x32. Despite some helpful advice from a forum member (thank you) in the end I went for the Nikon.
So Chuck, in lieu of Field and Stream test, how do you rate your MHG against alphas like the Noctovid, and are the differences cavernous,

Bill
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 19:36   #21
Troubador

Quote:
Lee,
Genuine (but probably stupid) question, but what's focus backlash?
Egrets

You are right to ask. As far as I can tell from years of enquiry this is what the Americans call 'free play' which is the term I use for the defect where you can rock the focus wheel to and fro by a variable distance but the bino doesn't actually change its point of focus. Notice my description took 26 words so its no wonder some cultures reduce it to one or two.

Lee
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 20:29   #22
Egrets Ivadafew

Thanks Lee for your 26 highly instructive words. Sounds irritating (the backlash I mean, not your description of it!).
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 22:52   #23
Nixterdemus

Free play, backlash, or sans taut?

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 23:03   #24
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
I mean...it's an interesting article. It has some good info in it. Kind of like difference car magazines "Car of the Year" awards. New cars of the year convertibles, sedans, coupes, etc all tested together. Same here, basically just a review of all the new binoculars. Really iMO in no way can it be a "comparison."

BUT being an owner of the Monarch HG, I have to agree with what they say. All things considered I'm not sure there is a better birding binocular for less than $1000.

Some good info but the final score certainly doesn't always indicate the "best" binocular.
I am sure the HG is a superlative binocular. Just like the other current class $1,000 binoculars are. I would dearly love to get my hands on one for a good workout.

The field worthy comment was interrupted by the telephone which call caused me to need to leave pronto. I said in the recent comparative review I recently posted that there was not what I considered a true field worthy difference. That difference has to show up in definitive fashion in normal hand held use.When I need to pour over resolution charts on tripod mounted binoculars to ferret out differences, I don't consider those differences to be of much consequence. When one compares the Maven C1 and B1, the value thing surely kicks in. We have no idea how they evaluated the value aspect. I'd have a hard time telling somebody to buy a B1 instead of the C1 if money was a difference. The B1 is better, but precious little better. Ditto the GPO Passion HD and ED.

Because I declined to rate the binoculars in the review, that does not mean I can't. I have picked too many nits for that to matter a lot to me any more. I realize the potential existence of any sort of discernible difference assume greater value for some users than it does for others.

That is a very interesting article. What we need is for some publication to do that as a blind test where the testers only have a disguised binocular with a number on it.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by Steve C : Tuesday 10th October 2017 at 23:17.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 00:14   #25
Maljunulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
What we need is for some publication to do that as a blind test where the testers only have a disguised binocular with a number on it.
I wouldn't want to hold my breath until that happens.

A real "binocular in a box" test would indeed be very interesting.

I just muddle along with my 10X42 EL SV, which blow my mind every time I use them, and try to ignore the voices in my head telling me that the Noctivid or the Victory SF are likely "better".
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: