Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 12:53   #1
PHA

Veiling glare Victory FL vs HT

Hello,

I have a question (I know james holdsworth and Troubador have both):

Between the Victory FL and the HT, is there, or can be see, any noticeable difference in the veiling glare control?

Thank you!

PHA
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 13:26   #2
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
Hello,

I have a question (I know james holdsworth and Troubador have both):

Between the Victory FL and the HT, is there, or can be see, any noticeable difference in the veiling glare control?

Thank you!

PHA
Sorry PHA

I wish I could help but my FL is a 32mm and HT is of course 42mm so a comparison wouldn't help.

Lee
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 17:59   #3
PHA

Hi Troubador,

Thank you, anyway.

I made the question because I had the 10x42 FL before my present HT and, if I remember well, the FL was somewhat better than the HT, in the control of the, really annoying to me, veiling glare

PHA

Last edited by PHA : Saturday 14th October 2017 at 18:02.
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 18:41   #4
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

PHA,

I have the 10 FL and 8 HT, so I can't really vouch for the 10 HT for veiling glare but the 8x42 is excellent, better than the 10x42 FL in all circumstances. Less crescent glare or spiking as well, with better contrast in poor light or harsh light situations.

I'll add, as it may be useful for your circumstance, try varying the IPD. With my 8x42 HT, with the IPD slightly too narrow, I can get some annoying crescent glare in the outer parts of the FOV in bright light. With the IPD properly set, this glare disappears and I assume it falls outside of the exit pupil [or outside of where my eye can see it] with a wider IPD.
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 21:58   #5
PHA

Thank you, James!

PHA
Old Monday 16th October 2017, 21:19   #6
breydon

I have the 10x42 HT and not found any problem with glare. And it is true they are excellent in poor light conditions. I also have a 10x42 EL Dare I say I find the HTs better
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 10:37   #7
Rathaus

PHA = Noctivid
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 14:40   #8
PHA

Hi Rathaus,

Yes!! After trying side by side my HT 10x42 vs a NV 10x42, looking for veiling glare, the difference was HUGE in favour the NV!! The others optic atributes were very similar. The only thing the HT IS superior, to me, the ergonomics. As I said before, the NV will be my next binocular.
Thank you!

PHA
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 05:23   #9
Rathaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
Hi Rathaus,

Yes!! After trying side by side my HT 10x42 vs a NV 10x42, looking for veiling glare, the difference was HUGE in favour the NV!! The others optic atributes were very similar. The only thing the HT IS superior, to me, the ergonomics. As I said before, the NV will be my next binocular.
Thank you!

PHA
PHA - after some years of reading your posts and viewing preferences, I knew you would instantly be attracted to the NV. I would have bet good money on it being the case. After my experience with the NV, I was about to PM you to urge you to try them, but then you suddenly did anyway! It comes as no surprise to me that you also note a huge instant difference re glare. Incredibly, this difference is noticeable almost constantly for me - not just at sunset or difficult light, although it is brilliant here too.

IMO, The NV is an incredibly special glass.

Rathaus
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 21:33   #10
PHA

Hi Rathaus,

Thank you! Other NV users have said the same to me....The veilingglareless of the NV do reflects in their high quality general view, not only in dfficult light situations.

PHA
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 04:08   #11
adhoc

Are not Leicas ahead of other makes in this quality, not just the NV (though it may be the best among Leicas in this regard)? I am thinking in particular of the Ultravid, which I have had most experience with. Ahead of all other makes in general (across model ranges), possibly all models of other makes?
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 07:49   #12
Torview

Hi Adhoc, speaking from personal experience I found my SVFP superior to my (recently sold) UVHD+ regarding glare control, still yet to spend enough time with a NV.
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 12:33   #13
adhoc

Hi Torview, thanks. On Googling after reading your post I find that the SVFP is found by others also to be excellent in this. But maybe across all models still Leica is better. The SV 8x32 is found by many to show glare that is disturbing.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: