• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation of Bonelli's Eagle, Almeria, Spain 4.10.17 (1 Viewer)

Parryman1

Just back from Vera, Almeria, Spain. I was watching 9 Booted Eagles over the marsh when this raptor came in low from behind. I was blinded as it flew directly into the low morning sun but managed a few badly underexposed shots before losing it completely.

I assumed it was another booted eagle but now having been able to play with the image I am sure it was a Bonelli's. I have seen them there a few times over the years but from a greater distance with longer views where identification was made easier.

Confirmation or an alternative ID appreciated

Attachments

• 717A7731 (2).JPG
    717A7731 (2).JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 717A7733 (2).jpg
    717A7733 (2).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 717A7737 (2).jpg
    717A7737 (2).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Racuuna, how stupid am I, what put me off Bonelli's was the bill looked small, generally not aggressive looking enough and the streaked chest and colouration but I convinced myself it was one but with the bad lighting playing tricks. Never even considered Honey Buzzard as I have never seen them there before so convinced myself it was a Bonelli's. Even the Collins Bird Guide says it recalls Honey Buzzard

Thanks for clearing that up as it has been nagging at me since I got home.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back