Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 6th June 2005, 15:25   #1
breffni

Impact of cockle fishing on seabirds

Does anyone have any biblio references on the impact of cockle fishing on seabirds. Specifically the method is a combination of pneumatic extraction and dredging. In the area of concern about 10% of the known stock is removed annually. There is no apparent impact on bird numbers to date (it has been in place for about 5 or 6 years but expanding each year) - in fact oystercatcher, the species that depends most on cockles are slightly increasing over the period (there are many complicating factors). However impact on diving ducks is unknown due to difficulty in estimating populations (among other things).

Also any information on the impact this has on other fauna and flora in a large (1000+ hectare) area of mudflat?

Merci!
Old Tuesday 7th June 2005, 17:03   #2
StuartReeves
Casual Eurocrat

If I remember rightly there has been quite a lot of work done in relation to the impact of cockle fishing on birds, primarily oystercatchers. I think most of the work has been done on the Wash. However, I don't have any references, although John Goss-Custard's book on the Oystercatcher would be a good place to start.

Stuart
Old Tuesday 7th June 2005, 20:17   #3
Rhion

I think the BTO did a survey for the CCW on the impact of cockle fishing on Oystercatcher populations on Traeth Lafan. I don't know if it was published though - I'll ask.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: