Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 7th June 2005, 05:48   #1
Si-Jay

Please advise on my shortlist

Hi,

I was hoping you could help me by sharing your experience, advice and opinions (Just previewed this post; longer than I expected, sorry, please stick with it )

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars to improve on those given to me by my Dad some years ago that probably came free with a magazine– I notice there’s a pair going for a fiver on e-bay (Praktica sport CN8x21).

Other than the above I am new to the daunting world of binoculars. I have looked on the 'net to gen up on the lingo and read various reviews / advice pages. As such I have learnt a lot about technical specifications but still do not know why two seemingly identical pairs can cost hundreds of pounds different! This is why I would like the benefit of your experiences.

Because I will be using them for general use while out walking (mostly birding), I have decided I want fairly light, compact binoculars in the 8x24 to 8x30 range. I am happy to spend up to £200 and have got a shortlist that I am interested in. I have chosen those with Bak-4, multi-coated lenses because it sounds impressive and makes me feel like I know what I’m talking about!

Please could anyone give me their thoughts on any of the following or recommend others that I might not yet have considered.

Bausch & Lomb Legacy 8x24
Olympus PC1 8x25
Bushnell Natureview 8x30
Bushnell Voyager 8x25
Opticron MCF 8x24
Opticron Traveller 8x32

Many thanks,
Chris
Old Tuesday 7th June 2005, 07:54   #2
rezMole

I have a pair of Nikon sporters 10x36. They are a bargain from Warehouse Express at the moment - half price at £115 (I think). They are pretty good for that price. They aren't waterproof as such, but are water resistant and i've used they in light rain without any problems.

My girlfrind has a pair of Opticron Imagics 10x42 which cost slightly more, but they are waterproof (these are porros, rather than roofs, which the Nikons are).

Ah, just noticed you want compact bins - the Nikons are fairly compact, but not "proper" compacts. Take a look on Warehouse Express website - they may have other bargains on there.
Old Tuesday 7th June 2005, 07:58   #3
robinm
Super Moderator

Hi Chris,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am not familiar with those bins but I am sure you will get plenty of advice.

Man of Kent
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 7th June 2005, 19:13   #4
elkcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-Jay
Hi,

I was hoping you could help me by sharing your experience, advice and opinions (Just previewed this post; longer than I expected, sorry, please stick with it )

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars to improve on those given to me by my Dad some years ago that probably came free with a magazine– I notice there’s a pair going for a fiver on e-bay (Praktica sport CN8x21).

Other than the above I am new to the daunting world of binoculars. I have looked on the 'net to gen up on the lingo and read various reviews / advice pages. As such I have learnt a lot about technical specifications but still do not know why two seemingly identical pairs can cost hundreds of pounds different! This is why I would like the benefit of your experiences.

Because I will be using them for general use while out walking (mostly birding), I have decided I want fairly light, compact binoculars in the 8x24 to 8x30 range. I am happy to spend up to £200 and have got a shortlist that I am interested in. I have chosen those with Bak-4, multi-coated lenses because it sounds impressive and makes me feel like I know what I’m talking about!

Please could anyone give me their thoughts on any of the following or recommend others that I might not yet have considered.

Bausch & Lomb Legacy 8x24
Olympus PC1 8x25
Bushnell Natureview 8x30
Bushnell Voyager 8x25
Opticron MCF 8x24
Opticron Traveller 8x32

Many thanks,
Chris
Good for you on the BAK-4 glass. All the better binocs use it, and the others are inferior. I really like the Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compact. The newest version is well armored and sells for about $200-250 USD on eBay.

Enjoy the view whatever you do.

Elkcub
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: