• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders in Costa Rica, October (1 Viewer)

PeterHD

Hi forum,

I went to Ostional Beach (Pacific side) in Costa Rica in mid October. Apart from the hundreds of vultures and caracaras feeding on turtle eggs there were a few waders - something which is not my strongest side.
There were many Sanderlings and Ruddy Turnstones and then some others.
My guess is that he plovers are semipalmated plovers (Charadrius semipalmatus) - is that so? Or could there be a Wilson's or something else in between? And then there are the ones with brown/grey stripes on the chest - I guess they are a type of sandpiper?

Picture 1-5 shows birds from a group near the waters edge, picture 6-7 shows some birds who were a little further up the beach.

Any comments on ID would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 62
two more pictures

...and here are picture 6 and 7

Attachments

• Picture6.jpg
    Picture6.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture7.jpg
    Picture7.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 77
All plovers look like Semipalmated to me. In #6, the sandpiper in the middle looks quite like White-rumped. On the others, though, I'm back and forth between White-rumped, Baird's, and Pectoral Sandpiper.

I am assuming you already distinguished the Turnstones and Sanderlings in #s 2-5.

I'm seeing at least Baird's (photo 1) and pectoral (e.g. photo 4, bird above the turnstone and sanderling with the rufous cap and neat breast band). Also possible white - rumped (middle bird 6). Might have a more forensic go at them later

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back