Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 22:17   #1
[email protected]

Has anybody heard of a Blaser Primus binocular?

Has anybody ever heard of a Blaser Primus binocular? They are priced quite high @$2195.00 for the 8x30. Here is a link and their website. There is already a thread on them.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=339082
http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?...e4afce8b0479ee
https://www.eurooptic.com/Blaser-Bin...8aAvPNEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3831DB2661279DC37B4731EEC1A4D0076EF2C3CD.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	654802  Click image for larger version

Name:	6C489E65C5EA8BE5E8DF60C03B18F89E5AAC419A.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	654803  

Last edited by [email protected] : Yesterday at 16:24.
Old Yesterday, 10:38   #2
Canip

Yes.
The collection which I am co-hosting recently acquired the 8x30 model of the Blaser primus.
A brief impression:
- finish: first class; nice materials and haptics
- mechanics: excellent in every respect: hinge, focus wheel, eyecups
- optics: very good central sharpness, little CA; off-axis sharpness okay but not outstanding
So overall a very nice binocular. In many respects, esp. finish and mechanics, a true premium bino. And premium also the price!!!
When using the bino for a brief while, I had the feeling that I had already seen image characteristics that were very similar to the Primus. So I went back and checked two other 8x30: the Kite Lynx and Nikon Monarch 7 (these latter two being - arguably - essentially the same binocular). The following was interesting:
- different body armour and weight, but
- identical dimensions of all three glasses
- individual parts, such as the focus wheel, exactly identical in size and placement
- looking into the tubes from the objective side: exactly same grooving/blackening of the tube walls, same baffling, same placement of the screws (as far as those are visible) in all three binos !!
- slightly different look of antireflection coatings in the Primus
- slightly different look of the eyepiece in the Primus
My assumption therefore: all three binoculars are essentially made by Kamakura Japan, the Primus gets just some makeover (in Germany?) with nicer materials, different coatings and a different eyepiece (which results in a small difference in FOV).
The Primus costs three times as much as the Nikon or the Kite (it costs about as much as a same size Ultravid HD+). It is sold in Europe primarily by weapons shops and shops selling hunting gear.
I find it a very nice bino, but too expensive when compared with an Ultravid or EL SV.

For what it's worth.
Canip

Last edited by Canip : Yesterday at 13:18.
Old Yesterday, 12:06   #3
Binastro

Thank you and interesting.

It seems to be another case of, 'A fool and his money are soon parted' for any buyers.
Old Yesterday, 13:53   #4
dries1

Thank you Canip, I will stick with leica.

A.W.
Old Yesterday, 14:35   #5
gunut
Registered Offender

here in the US Blaser has always struck me as a bunch of profiteering shysters.... and now they are in control of distribution of Minox in the US....and that's a shame as I'm a Minox fan....
Old Yesterday, 15:23   #6
[email protected]

Canip.Thanks, for the comments. So it sounds like the Blaser could be another clone possibly of the Nikon Monarch 7. Have you ever compared the Maven B.3 8x30 to these other 8x30's? I was wondering where it fits in.

Last edited by [email protected] : Yesterday at 15:50.
Old Yesterday, 16:04   #7
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Canip.Thanks, for the comments. So it sounds like the Blaser could be another clone possibly of the Nikon Monarch 7. Have you ever compared the Maven B.3 8x30 to these other 8x30's? I was wondering where it fits in.
I can't get a Maven in Europe other than by ordering direct from the US, which for tax and customs reasons I am not going to do. I do order from all over Europe, so if they have a reseller in Europe I would love to hear about it (they don't say anything on their website).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: