• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What on earth.. (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Hello,

Filmed this little friend the other day. It looks like a ladybird, but I don't think it is. I've through my guide, the complete site of www.koleopterologie.de but I can't find it. Does anybody know what it is?

Thank you,

André

Attachments

• Soort-lieveheersbeestje.jpg
    Soort-lieveheersbeestje.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 202
jonafly said:
Hello,

Filmed this little friend the other day. It looks like a ladybird, but I don't think it is. I've through my guide, the complete site of www.koleopterologie.de but I can't find it. Does anybody know what it is?

Thank you,

André

Hello Andre,
Your photograph is showing Hemipteran nymphs, probably a ground dwelling shieldbug species. Not all Shieldbugs are large some are between 5 & 10mm in length when adult. The black bars on their backs are typical shieldbug nymph markings. The developing wing cases can also be seen quite clearly.

Edit. See http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/insects/pentatomidae.htm
If you scroll down you will see a couple of nymphs which show identical markings. Just what your species is I don't know, but they do change shape and colour with each instar.
Harry

Last edited:
jonafly said:

Hello Andre,
In Britain we call it the Pied Shieldbug T.bicolor. Sadly, it doesn't occur as far north as me. The nymphs are often found on the ground around the bases of the stems of White Dead Nettle. They feed on the developing seeds or 'nutlets'. If you look in the Shieldbug thread you will find a couple of pictures of the adults.

Most things can be identified if you know, or have an idea, what it is in the first place. ;)

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back