Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 1st July 2005, 00:55   #1
sclateria

Black-bellied vs White-bellied Storm-Petrel

Anyone familiar with these species...?

In HBW vol. 1 the authors note that the legs of Black-bellied Storm-Petrel Fregetta tropica extend beyond the tips of the tail in flight. Is this also the case in White-bellied Storm-Petrel Fregetta grallaria, or can this be a feature to distinguish between the two?

Also, the few sources I have at hand referring to these species note that the black central stripe on the belly of F. tropica is variable - does it ever vary to the point of hardly being visible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Brad
Old Friday 1st July 2005, 18:26   #2
Jane Turner

I have no experience of either. Just in case you haven't got a copy, Harrison suggests that the variation in underpart colouration has been over estimated , though I am guessing HBW is a more recent publicaton. He states also that beyond plumage, the only reliable sturctural disciminator is a combination of tarsus, middle toe and wing length.

Last Cheshire Caspian Tern (305) last Red Rocks Green-winged Teal (254), last Garden Green-winged Teal (204), last Self-found Great White Egret (293) Home webcam with sound- if its on there will be a message LIVE STREAMING WEBCAM of Sea/Beach
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 1st July 2005, 20:10   #3
sclateria

I don't have that reference Jane, but it was published after HBW vol. 1

The few drawings of the F. tropica i have found show pretty solid amounts of black below. I'll go to the university library on monday and see if they have a copy of Harrison.

Many thanks

Brad
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: